Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
they are not reading your messages or shipping anything until next week; china is shut down for a national holiday

PR0r

n3wb
Reaction score
I just bit the bullet and ordered one via AliExpress. Was this a mistake vs going directly with EMPIRETECANDY's PayPal method price wise?
My order is still processing on AliExpress so could cancel and order directly if cheaper.
And if it is cheaper, can anyone shed some light on how much of a saving? Thanks

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just bit the bullet and ordered one via AliExpress. Was this a mistake vs going directly with EMPIRETECANDY's PayPal method price wise?
My order is still processing on AliExpress so could cancel and order directly if cheaper.
And if it is cheaper, can anyone shed some light on how much of a saving? Thanks
If they accepted your payment, be patient. He's on holiday. The difference I believe is $10.00.

sotorious

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would do it directly thru Ali express what method do I need to choose for fastest delivery

sotorious

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When I'm putting in the part numbers on Ali express it's not pulling the parts up when in fact I've seen them before. Maybe because I am doing it on mobile?

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
When I'm putting in the part numbers on Ali express it's not pulling the parts up when in fact I've seen them before. Maybe because I am doing it on mobile?
I'm seeing it on other Ali stores, just not on EmpireTech's...

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ali express searches can't handle wildcards or partial words (as in model mumbers). Rendering searches like "dahua 5231" worthless even searching for "IPC-HDW5231R-Z" can be unpredictable. A search like "dahua starlight" on other hand turns up more results.

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I decided to finally bite the bullet and ordered my gear.

8 x Dahua 2MP H265 WDR IR Eyeball 2.7mm ~12mm motorized lens Starlight Network Camera IPC-HDW5231R-Z
1 x NVR5216-4KS2

I ordered from BEC technology's store on Ali. Seems like they have them in stock and do the DHL quick shipping as well.

At first Ali wanted me to sent them my driver's license and all that but in the end accepted my card (after visa frantically texted me to Prove the charge lol).

Guess I need to Amazon a POE switch, and then hang out with the spiders in the attic and pull some more Cat 6.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I decided to finally bite the bullet and ordered my gear.

8 x Dahua 2MP H265 WDR IR Eyeball 2.7mm ~12mm motorized lens Starlight Network Camera IPC-HDW5231R-Z
1 x NVR5216-4KS2

I ordered from BEC technology's store on Ali. Seems like they have them in stock and do the DHL quick shipping as well.

At first Ali wanted me to sent them my driver's license and all that but in the end accepted my card (after visa frantically texted me to Prove the charge lol).

Guess I need to Amazon a POE switch, and then hang out with the spiders in the attic and pull some more Cat 6.

Andy is sposed to be back at work on the 5th so your stuff will probably ship then, I'm gonna wait for him to show up in the forum and then try to snag some starlight turrets to replace a couple hikvision inside the house and add one, and most likely use one for the front door camera. Then I need to order some starlight bullets for outside and perhaps another ultra for 24/7 color only overview.

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm thinking something like this:
NETGEAR ProSAFE JGS524PE 24-Port Gigabit PoE Web Managed (Plus) Switch with 12 PoE Ports 100w (JGS524PE-100NAS) Amazon.com: NETGEAR ProSAFE JGS524PE 24-Port Gigabit PoE Web Managed (Plus) Switch with 12 PoE Ports 100w (JGS524PE-100NAS): Computers & Accessories

12 Poe gives me room to power the 8 Dahuas and my lonely Hikvision. The extra 12 gives enough capacity for the jacks around my house.

For HDDs I hadn't decided yet. I don't know if this NVRs really do raid or take advantage of multiple drives so likely just a 4tb surveillance grade drive.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Andy is sposed to be back at work on the 5th so your stuff will probably ship then, I'm gonna wait for him to show up in the forum and then try to snag some starlight turrets to replace a couple hikvision inside the house and add one, and most likely use one for the front door camera. Then I need to order some starlight bullets for outside and perhaps another ultra for 24/7 color only overview.
Is BEC the same as empire tech? I presume they're all probably in the same office.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm thinking something like this:
NETGEAR ProSAFE JGS524PE 24-Port Gigabit PoE Web Managed (Plus) Switch with 12 PoE Ports 100w (JGS524PE-100NAS) Amazon.com: NETGEAR ProSAFE JGS524PE 24-Port Gigabit PoE Web Managed (Plus) Switch with 12 PoE Ports 100w (JGS524PE-100NAS): Computers & Accessories

12 Poe gives me room to power the 8 Dahuas and my lonely Hikvision. The extra 12 gives enough capacity for the jacks around my house.

For HDDs I hadn't decided yet. I don't know if this NVRs really do raid or take advantage of multiple drives so likely just a 4tb surveillance grade drive.

raid is pointless for camera systems, get some WD purple's.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
raid is pointless for camera systems, get some WD purple's.
I'll start with a 4tb WD purple. If I find I want to store more video or get more cameras I can always pop another in.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I'll start with a 4tb WD purple. If I find I want to store more video or get more cameras I can always pop another in.

you can find calculators online where you pop in your mp, bit rate, etc. and how many cams and days you want to store and it will tell you how much space you need.

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
you can find calculators online where you pop in your mp, bit rate, etc. and how many cams and days you want to store and it will tell you how much space you need.
My calcs came out to about 3 TB for a week with 9 cams at 1080p, 30fps. I don't really need a full 30fps so I think 4tb should be a good starting point.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My calcs came out to about 3 TB for a week with 9 cams at 1080p, 30fps. I don't really need a full 30fps so I think 4tb should be a good starting point.

You need to understand that resolution and frame rate do not impact storage capacity...it only depends on bitrate...