Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

DuncanMcDonuts

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm looking to confirm #2 above. Zero issue with #1, #3, and #4.

Jan 05 - started a conversation here to place an order
Jan 06 - order acknowledged, told to wait for stock
Jan 11 - order acknowledge again, told again to wait for stock
Jan 31 - stock appears online at Andy's store

Today's posts from Andy seem to indicate that orders placed/paid last week (via the Ali store) will ship in 2-3 days. When I asked when I should expect the PayPal invoice (to start the process of paying for the order I placed on Jan 05), he replied "10 days later". I'm assuming that means my Jan 05 order will be processed in 10 more days. That's what I'm looking to clarify.
I'm in the same boat as you. I already received an NVR and a camera from him 2 months ago and placed another order through e-mail/Paypal around mid-January. It does look like he's processing the Aliexpress orders first as opposed to whoever was first in queue (Aliexpress+Paypal combined). Kinda sucks, but it's understandable on his end since the money has posted and transactions are waiting on him to ship the orders.

Just be patient. He's been good on his word. Hopefully, our e-mail/Paypal orders will go through on this next shipment.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm more just irritated with myself. When I saw the stock go up on Aliexpress on 1/31, I had a feeling they'd ship first and was going to order from that batch and ask him to cancel my Jan 05 "request to order" from the forums here. But I know he's busy and figured that'd probably create some confusion that he didn't need, so I didn't.

Andy's participation in the forums and willingness to help folks here has been awesome. I'll cool my jets and see what happens.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think the confusion is Andy has his store, and has a Partner (Mahone Zhang) whom has there own store.. they seem to split stocks on AliExpress.. Andy was gone and said he'd be gone, then stocks appeared on Mahone's store while he was gone and nothing changed on his.. they are just sales people trying to make commission and might not know all the deals eachother is working on.. Stepping on eachother's toes is common in Sales, your kinda competing with eachother to sell the same thing.

Ive only dealt with Andy, he might just be the best English Speaking person at Empire so he ends up fielding English service coming through the either store.. it dont seem to be a one person shop, he's indicated to me he has tech's and warehouse employees to work with and sometimes they drop the ball too and while he gets the blame.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I think Amazon has set the expectations too high for shipping. Lol.

I'm fine waiting though. Otherwise I'll be tempted to install them sooner.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Be grateful you weren't buying cameras bank when it took a month or more.

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Be grateful you weren't buying cameras bank when it took a month or more.
I was big into DealExtreme when I lived in Canada. I used to have 2-3 month delivery times. Lol thankfully most of that stuff was cheap anyways.

I'm glad these cameras are coming quicker and with tracking. 1600 is a lot to spend on a bunch of stuff you have no way to track.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I personally have waited for Andy to tell me he's got stuff ready to ship before I ask for an invoice and as soon as I see the money leave my account he ships my stuff, so far I'll be sticking with him, I wouldn't have even tried to order or anything until this week. I admit I buy damn near everything off amazon but I am happy we have a channel to get cameras fast from China without being raped by places like Nelly's who jack the prices way up.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I was big into DealExtreme when I lived in Canada. I used to have 2-3 month delivery times. Lol thankfully most of that stuff was cheap anyways.

I'm glad these cameras are coming quicker and with tracking. 1600 is a lot to spend on a bunch of stuff you have no way to track.

2-3 months, I'd go nuts

shmookles

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@nayr you had mentioned in the past that with digital IP Cameras it doesn't matter whether you get PAL or NTSC. I live in the US, so can you please clarify if there actually are any differences? So if I end up with PAL, will there be a situation where I have tweak them to record at certain frame rates or resolutions for PAL??

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@nayr you had mentioned in the past that with digital IP Cameras it doesn't matter whether you get PAL or NTSC. I live in the US, so can you please clarify if there actually are any differences? So if I end up with PAL, will there be a situation where I have tweak them to record at certain frame rates or resolutions for PAL??
No.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
To add on to looney2ns, from what I've read in other posts here, PAL/NTSC only comes into play if the camera has a analog video out feature that you plan on using. This camera doesn't have that option.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
There are slight differences between NTSC and PAL IP cameras, most of which have very little to do with how well they do their job.

If you have two otherwise identical cameras mounted side-by-side, if one is in PAL and the other is NTSC then, for instance, if the PAL one is in 1/25th of a second exposure and the NTSC is in 1/30th, the PAL camera, because of its slightly longer exposure, will be slightly better on static scenes because it gathers a bit more light. The NTSC camera will be slightly grainier on the static scenes but has the opportunity to freeze moving objects just a little bit better. So, very very slight differences that way that would be almost unnoticeable. You may but probably will not notice any flickering from a PAL camera under NTSC lighting. To tell the truth, I notice more lighting issues with NTSC IP cameras under 60hz light than PAL IP cameras. Also, substream resolution is a little higher with a PAL camera than an NTSC one. That is probably a slight PAL advantage unless you are paying for data or bandwidth is extremely constrained.

You can't really mix analog PAL and NTSC devices, even if they are 12-volt DC, because you get horrible rolling video distortion. With today's standardized digital video standards and DC power, modern IP cameras are virtually indistinguishable and interchangeable between the two standards.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think nayr has been able to flash his 5231 between PAL and NTSC (depending on the firmware), so it sounds like the underlying hardware is the same between the two?

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Yep. With some cams you just select between a 50 or 60 Hz setting in the firmware. No need to flash.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
All modern cameras with Digital image sensors have identical hardware packages for NTSC/PAL even if they do have analogue outputs, because its using a Digital to Analogue converter its just flipping a bit to change the output..

If you have the time, watch this video.. It'll help you understand why 2 varying power frequencies (50Hz/60Hz) used in the world lead to the 2 different Output formats and why:

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
******Stock updates.

...For the client from EU, we suggest you to use free tax way, just some more days.
As i know a camera to DE, have to pay 40usd tax, no matter how much value we put on the invoice.
Andy
That was me ;)
It happend, because dhl express in germany had missed the sipping costs on the invoice. The value price was accepted. In this case they suggest shipping cost for over 86 Euro, so the hole price goes over 150 Euros, so i had to pay tax + 10,5% + 19%. Would it be under 150 Euro i only have to pay 19%

Code:
Der gesamte Warenwert lt. Proformainvoice betrug 95,00 US-Dollar (Kurs 1,0421) = 91,16 Euro. 

Sendungen mit einem Gesamtwert bis zu 22,00 Euro sind abgabenfrei, Sendungen bis zu einem Geamtpreis bis zu 150,00 Euro sind zollfrei.

Da der Absender keine Frachtkosten angegeben hat, die zusammen mit dem Warenwert Grundlage der Berechnung des Zolls und der Einfuhrumsatzsteuer sind, wurde der nach IATA-Tabelle festgesetzte Frachtkostensatz von 86,66 Euro vom Hauptzollamt Dresden angesetzt.

Der Zollbetrag von 10,5 %  berechnet sich aus dem Warenwert von 91,16 Euro plus 70 % der anteiligen Frachtkosten außerhalb der EU von 86,66 Euro  = 60,66 Euro, somit 15,94 Euro.

Die Einfuhrumsatzsteuer von 19,00 % errechnet sich aus der Summe 91,16 Euro Warenwert und 86,66 Euro gesamte Frachtkosten sowie 15,94 Euro Zoll und beträgt 36,81 Euro.

Die Berechnung ist also richtig erfolgt.
So it´s better to write 0€ shipping costs! btw incl. in item value. Normally it´s equal what you write for the item price, in germany in most of any import cases i had to show the credit bill anyway :mad: In this case not, why ever (maybe DHL had needed to long for processing and after i asked what happend they did the toll processing without normal asking)

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
All modern cameras with Digital image sensors have identical hardware packages for NTSC/PAL even if they do have analogue outputs, because its using a Digital to Analogue converter its just flipping a bit to change the output..

If you have the time, watch this video.. It'll help you understand why 2 varying power frequencies (50Hz/60Hz) used in the world lead to the 2 different Output formats and why:
Off-topic...but Nayr, I remember you mentioning Wireless Access Points earlier before...I managed to convert some of the phone jacks in my house to be CAT6.....

so now I've had an Airport Extreme as a WAP but it constantly slows down and sucks....what are the best Wireless Access Points?...you use the Ubiquity ones? the Pro?....I'm looking at the Pro right now...

Thanks!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The Ubiquiti UniFi AC units are the best, more lite units will perform better than less pro units.. the key to good high speed coverage is multiple access points running at low power installed in strategic locations so there's always one in sight... then you can really start tearing up the 5GHz band

ekaz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Great access points. Did you see the new HD series they're coming out with?

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score

Here we go, 180pcs comes, ship out now.
This model no matter where you book or buy delivery date is 30days. So that is why not put on selling online if stock not 100% confimed. And we have around 17days new year holiday, so make time even longer~
Today may process 70% orders. Just be patient. lol.