Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

kevkmartin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes. Gotta be sure . Quite possible to also mistake "this fits tight and gets stuck" for "fits tight and right". Someone should take out one of the original screws and try it in those screw templates at HD/Lowes etc.
Unless we can actually get the spec sheet for this.
Better is the enemy of good enough.

Besides... I'm pretty sure I can buy the right size screw when I take the housing with me to the store and verify that it works. It's not the EXACT OEM screw - Home Depot didn't carry the "cone point" - but it'll do the job!

PR0r

n3wb
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a cheap POE switch? I'm only needing 2 ports for power. Thanks

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Awesome results, thanks for sharing!

All 4MP Cameras are pretty fucking terrible for general outdoor security.. that illustrates it clearly..

These Starlights kick ass, they destroy the playing field.. What did you pay for that Hik 4MP Turret?

kevkmartin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes it does. I WAS happy with my old cameras. Now... they look like crap.

I'm trying to rationalize where it's OK to leave some of the older ones in place. With 16 cameras, this is going to be expensive.

I guess I can re-purpose some of the older ones as "broader overviews" to see "what" vs. "who"...

This is going to be expensive.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
fucking tell me about it heh.. put the 4MP's up on Craigslist/Ebay and let some other poor bastard deal with em heh.

I had big plans for this year's bonus, but then I got my hand on 1 starlight.. and then all my plans went to shit, now Ive blown it all on cameras and im still not done yet.

Its hard to look at my old non-stalright cameras now; I keep thinking how much better the'd be when I upgrade em.. My Black Face PTZ went from being great w/no complaints, to shit overnight.. and thats a $650 camera, fuck me.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes it does. I WAS happy with my old cameras. Now... they look like crap.

I'm trying to rationalize where it's OK to leave some of the older ones in place. With 16 cameras, this is going to be expensive.

I guess I can re-purpose some of the older ones as "broader overviews" to see "what" vs. "who"...

This is going to be expensive.
Indeed, Suggest using the old ones for roles of "observe", "detection", "recognition" - and using the new ones for "Identification" roles. This way you should hopefully be able to minimize your upgrade/system costs.

It's what I will have to do, as there is no way I can afford to have 100% starlight cameras.

note: Here's a reference to the roles for those wondering Surveillance Camera Comparison Parameters

Last edited:

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Anyone know where to maintain the onboard SD card in the web setting? I carefully looked under storage and it not there. It a new SD card and I am wanting it format it first and I am sure there a SD card status page on there somewhere

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Shit, Andy better put me some aside it sounds like as soon he gets more he's gonna get slammed. I need more of these things and I have money lol.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Waiting for someone to go nuts and do an all ultra starlight deployment

ekaz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Waiting for someone to go nuts and do an all ultra starlight deployment

Waiting on Andy for 10 cameras. Replacing my 9-720p Lorex analog stuff and 1-4mp hik turret. New setup will be these cameras running with BI.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Waiting on Andy for 10 cameras. Replacing my 9-720p Lorex analog stuff and 1-4mp hik turret. New setup will be these cameras running with BI.
First 50pcs will come earler, around 10days can be ready. I booked 250pcs 10days ago, and seems all can be ready on 10th Mar. ,maybe come earlier, so still have around 2-3 weeks. I push them everyday. Already pay them all money, but still no stock, crazy dahua. So i am sure, all the world lack of this model, lol

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
First 50pcs will come earler, around 10days can be ready. I booked 250pcs 10days ago, and seems all can be ready on 10th Mar. ,maybe come earlier, so still have around 2-3 weeks. I push them everyday. Already pay them all money, but still no stock, crazy dahua. So i am sure, all the world lack of this model, lol
Well man, I think you know I am good for it but if I have to pre pay for 3 Starlight's to guarantee them I'll do it. :)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Money down puts you at top of list, under the last guy who paid; he's gotta take care of those paying customers first..

At the rate his stocks are blowing out when they do appear; I'd just go ahead and pay now and be thankful that when they finally do arrive you dont have a whole nother month of shipping to endure.

Unless your keen on one of the new Z5 Starlight Bullets w/35mm Varifocal, then might wait to see what these end up costing in comparison.