Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

morpheus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does dahua have 4MP starlight camera's?
Like this but then higher resolution
Do you know the "5 MegaPixel 1/1,8" low light destroyer"-Thread?
5 MegaGixel 1/1.8" low light destroyer for $90

I don't recommend this cheap cams from longse, the firmware is really bad and the reliability is not really good. But the sensor (Sony Exmor-R IMX178) is really good. You could try one of the new Dahua IMX178-Cams:
6 Megapixel

Like the IMX291 (HDW5231z) the IMX178 is a back illuminated (BSI) Sony Exmor-R Starvis sensor.
IMX291: 1/2.9" 2MP
IMX178: 1/1.8" 6MP

http://www.sony-semicon.co.jp/products_en/new_pro/september_2013/imx178lqj_e.html
http://www.sony-semicon.co.jp/products_en/new_pro/february_2015/imx290_291_e.html

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah and that sensor is no more sensitive than non-starlight 2MP Cameras; and it has DWDR.. its just a 6MP that they didnt absolutely ruin the night capacities of like the 4MP and 8MP cameras; but Starlight it is not.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It would accomplish letting me know if the sides of the image get cut off or if the whole image gets squashed into a 4:3 aspect ratio.
Im not posting images of its current install location since its inside; the whole image gets squashed to 4:3 and nothing is cropped.

ilrider78

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thats been covered multiple times already; in this very thread..

4MP has zero benefit; my 4MP Dahua cameras will be in the trash bin in a few weeks and replaced with 2MP Starlights.

Don't put them in the trash, just send them to me and I'll put them to use!!

Still waiting for these to come in stock though. Got a message today that future orders will ship in NTSC format.

M1CHA3L

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks i will check that 6MP dahua cam, but not availble at the moment, so i didnt know what price it is
I read in this thread that the hdw5231r-z is a very good camera with the best price/quality
I think i will buy one for replacing my foscam FI9828w, i didnt use PTZ function and video quality is not good

morpheus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah and that sensor is no more sensitive than non-starlight 2MP Cameras; and it has DWDR.. its just a 6MP that they didnt absolutely ruin the night capacities of like the 4MP and 8MP cameras; but Starlight it is not.
Please distinguish sensor and camera. Dahua don't call this cams Starlight, thats right. The sensor itself is in the Sony starvis line, like the IMX291:
STARVIS is a trademark of Sony Corporation. The STARVIS is back-illuminated pixel technology used in CMOS image sensors for surveillance camera applications. It features a sensitivity of 2000 mV or more per 1 µm2 (color product, when imaging with a 706 cd/m2 light source, F5.6 in 1 s accumulation equivalent), and realizes high picture quality in the visible-light and near infrared light regions.
The IMX291 has a back-illuminated structure with 2.9 µm-square unit pixel, the IMX178 has a back-illuminated structure with 2.4 µm-square unit pixel. It's smaller, but not so much.

You can not compare the DWDR of the IMX178 with the one of the cheap 4MP and 8MP sensors. The IMX178 uses a 14 bit a/d converter not a 10 bit a/d converter like the cheap ones. With the 14 bit resolution you can do much better wdr. Do you know RAW-format in photo-cameras?

Axis newest 6MP lightfinder-cams seems to use the IMX178 and delivers their best wdr (wdr forensic capture). Mobotix moonlight-sensor also seems to be the IMX178.

The cheap longse cams uses the IMX178 sensor but a standard hisilicon soc and dsp (that's the reason for the 5MP). Axis, Mobotix, Hikvision and Dahua develops their own soc and dsp.

Don't compare the Dahua 6MP Ultra-Smart-Series or Hikvision 4-series with the really cheap 4MP Hikvision 2-series or Dahua eco-series. The picture of both will be much better than the longse imx178 or the cheap 4MP-Cams, but it is not as light sensitive as the 2MP Starlight (with IMX291-starvis). ;-)

morpheus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks i will check that 6MP dahua cam, but not availble at the moment, so i didnt know what price it is
I read in this thread that the hdw5231r-z is a very good camera with the best price/quality
The hdw5231r-z is very good, i own one.

6MP Ultra-Smart Series IMX178:
Shop IPC-HFW8630E-Z online Gallery - Buy IPC-HFW8630E-Z for unbeatable low prices on AliExpress.com
Shop IPC-HDBW8630E-Z online Gallery - Buy IPC-HDBW8630E-Z for unbeatable low prices on AliExpress.com

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
What I want to know is why doesn't Sony make a 1-2 megapixel monochromatic sensor? You'd think that would be easier, and capable of providing much better low light images than the equivalent size of color sensor.

cam235

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you're using 850nm IR illumination (or 940nm for that matter) it wouldn't matter much. The Bayer-pattern color filters (dye spots) on the chip are all nearly transparent at those wavelengths, so a true monochome sensor without the color filters would not improve sensitivity. If you want best low-light performance in white light (moonlight/ starlight) then yes, it would help, but most people want a color image during the day, so there's little market for monochrome only cameras.

M1CHA3L

n3wb
Reaction score
I saw there is also a bullet and dome version from this starlight camera
IPC-HFW5231E-Z
IPC-HDBW5231E-Z

Is the turret better because everybody here want the turret?

The turret looks more cheap/plastic than the dome and bullet
And the dome/bullet looks way more professional in my opinium

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If I recall the turret is all metal. There are several reasons people may prefer turrets:

1) In a turret model, IR LEDs are not surrounding the lens, so insects are less likely to get in front of the lens than with dome or bullet cameras.
2) A dome cover may degrade over time from UV exposure and lose some transparency (depends on build material and mounting position of course).
3) Domes are more susceptible to IR bleed from incorrect installation.

M1CHA3L

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok thanks, i will buy a turret and maybe later a bullet or dome
how is the warranty when i buy on ali express?

dorcse

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Agree with bp2008. And I would add, the significant savings over buying domestic more than makes up for the risk, IMO.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
For the warranty there is no need to worry about, 1st dahua device faulty rate is much lower than the cheap items, 2, if you get the warranty issues, we can help sort well.
Good news for the ones who bought from us, the NTSC firmware i may get it soon, when i get it, i will send via private conversations. Because can't open to download, as dahua policy.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I kind of get the PAL or NTSC does not matter all that much explanation @nayr provided, but how does that work?
Is it a hardware thing specific to each camera build that cannot be changed or just a software\firmware update when NTSC is available?

danhimal

n3wb
Reaction score
How you looking on stock now Empire? :D
Back in stock at the time of this posting, Empire with 5x and BEC with 1x. Get 'em boys!

Aliexpress.com : Buy DAHUA 2.7mm ~12mm motorized lens 2MP WDR IR Eyeball Network Camera IPC HDW5231R Z ,free DHL shipping from Reliable network camera suppliers on Empire Technology Co., Ltd
Aliexpress.com : Buy Dahua 2MP H265 WDR IR Eyeball 2.7mm ~12mm motorized lens Starlight Network Camera IPC HDW5231R Z,free shipping from Reliable network camera suppliers on BEC Technology Co.,Ltd

Not sure why there is a price difference though, I'm sure Andy will adjust it after you place the order. Be sure to order via mobile too, slightly better discount.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Empire (same co and owner as BEC?) is $10 higher