Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Love the Acti labelled junk. That was my opinion of even their lowlight series of a few years ago.

Acti must not be Scottish-

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Love the Acti labelled junk. That was my opinion of even their lowlight series of a few years ago.

Acti must not be Scottish-
You can't really tell from the reduced size version of it in my All-cameras-grid, but the Acti in my garage has absolutely terrible focus over most of the frame and it is unfixable. I tried. I even RMAd that camera and they sent it back with a new lens and the same problem. The one outside is focused sharp, but the sensor and H.264 encoding are both so poor you get about the same level of detail at 3 MP resolution as you do at 10 MP resolution.

Would be nice if they built these varifocals to do 25mm. Even at full zoom this has nearly twice the horizonal FOV that I was hoping for. Oh well, we'll see how it turns out anyway.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
It is snowing right now so not ideal conditions, but here are night shots. Normally it is completely dark here except for moonlight (and tomorrow is a new moon, so that is negligible if the moon is even up..) But right now it is overcast and snowing everywhere so street lights from a block and a half away scatter light all over and you can see a lot more than usual.

Built in IR OFF:

Built in IR ON:

Yes, it is actually darker with the built in IR on. Not sure why, but probably the falling snow's fault. I have a lot of extra IR in this area anyway so I'm not really surprised the difference is so small.

Here is another full grid:

And here is my old PTZ set to a similar FOV, for comparison purposes. This PTZ doesn't have IR and is far from IR sources, so snow doesn't light up as much. It is also a wet dome so there is a little water blurring and IR reflecting off the inside of the dome at the top.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score

This was recorded at 15 FPS, CBR encoding, max allowed bit rate (6656 Kb/s for this frame rate and resolution). At 6:27:28, I turned on the built-in IR. Before that, it was off and lighting was from other sources. It is hard to even tell the difference.

Jmtyra

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the sample pictures and video. :) This combined with nayr's content really helps to see how the camera performs in different situations.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Just for fun, this is the starlight zoomed out versus the 4K.

First (brighter) pic is Starlight IR OFF. Second pic is Starlight IR ON. Third pic is the 4K camera -- I can't turn off the IR on that one.

Also, Blue Iris does let you control the zoom on this just by choosing the PTZ profile "Dahua HFW2300R-Z/2320R-ZS/81200E".

Jmtyra

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It's very interesting that the picture is brighter with the IR off. I suppose the camera tries to compensate for no IR somehow?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's very interesting that the picture is brighter with the IR off. I suppose the camera tries to compensate for no IR somehow?
auto exposure + IR reflection = increased shutter speeds (darker image as it gathers less light).. with dynamic exposure any changes to lighting might not result in the brighter image that you expected as it adjusts for it.. you still typically end up with a better overall image with more detail, and less noise/motion blur.. but looking at still images/video w/no human targets it can be quite deceiving as to the actual gains.. with the snow all around; its not all that surprising.

fixed exposures with low gain would provide a better comparison; then only the lighting would change while exposure settings would remain the same..

with it snowing I dont blame bp2008 for not putting some targets out there for better detail comparison.

Last edited:

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
N00b here -- Does that mean the firmware can or can't be upgraded?
can be updated, i just send the firmware to one of the members here, the first guy who get this camera but firmware is July version, latest new one is as Ryan posted.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
A deer walked conveniently in front of the cameras -- here are the 3 dahuas recordings of this. 2MP Starlight first, then the 4MP, then the 8MP (4K).

I feel like the higher resolution cameras took the prize here. The deer was closer to the center of their frames, and there is so much IR in this area that even the 4K did a good job. The new starlight cam seems to have overexposed a little bit, which is understandable since the subject was at the very edge of the frame. This doesn't really bother me because I got the starlight cam mainly to have it record out at the road where I have it pointed; if the deer had been out there, I suspect the starlight would have had the advantage.

Last edited:

cosmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Two Starlight pieces finally appeared on Empire tonight (I wanted 5), so I snagged them and shipped them to Australia in advance of my trip next week. The order said I had to wait 24 hours for confirmation of payment. Will be interesting to see if it goes through with "Verified by Visa" with a US address shipping to a foreign country. Trying to pick up one of the Dahua NVRs in a hurry this week to take with me.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
whats it look like in color mode forced with all that snow?

the starlight got you the best ID shot of the three, more detail on the antlers and less blurry when paused on motion.. suspect its running a more reasonable shutter speed, you might be able to lower the max gain or try gain priority mode if your finding your lighting is causing overexposure like that

Xenon54

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great info guys. Couple of little questions before pulling the trigger...
  1. Does the aperture stay at f1.4 throughout the whole zoom range? I know in photography it's common for it to narrow (less light collected) the more you are zoomed.
  2. What's the in-built mic like? In practice do you get loads of wind and background noise making it messy to listen to, and is it only for close range?
  3. Does anyone know of a mount, equivalent to the ceiling mount on the domes, that will allow me to recess these into soffits a bit so they are even more discreet?
  4. I'm assuming Milestone Essentials has support already, right? I'm building a new cam network around this now it's free.
Thanks.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Here are pics with WDR on at 50 and WDR off:

WDR on at 50:

WDR off:

I am not sure it has any benefit in this scene. It seems like it only worsens the contrast.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great info guys. Couple of little questions before pulling the trigger...
  1. Does the aperture stay at f1.4 throughout the whole zoom range? I know in photography it's common for it to narrow (less light collected) the more you are zoomed.
  2. What's the in-built mic like? In practice do you get loads of wind and background noise making it messy to listen to, and is it only for close range?
  3. Does anyone know of a mount, equivalent to the ceiling mount on the domes, that will allow me to recess these into soffits a bit so they are even more discreet?
  4. I'm assuming Milestone Essentials has support already, right? I'm building a new cam network around this now it's free.
Thanks.
1) I don't know.
2) I can't say yet. Will have to collect more clips.
3) Be careful trying this (if you find a mount, or make one out of a junction box or something) because you don't want IR to scatter off a nearby surface; it would destroy image quality.
4) Yes, it should be fine. In fact if Milestone can control the zoom on Dahua's earlier motorized varifocal cameras, it should work with this one too.