Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

Reaction score
There is no equivalent...the fixed unit does not have the same low light ratings...There difference is only 35 dollars...well worth it.
A blue iris system for 6 1080p cameras would cost 200-300 dollars..not much more than an NVR...you wont get anymore flexibility with an NVR than you costco system which is likely made by dahua or hikvision.
I've been quietly reading this and other threads for two or three months. It is amazingly informative and sometimes overwhelming. I haven't yet pulled the trigger, but am very interested in incrementally building a flexible system as my budget allows. Following advice to have horsepower to spare costs money. Would a BI capable system for $300 have the ability for upgrade or would I be better to wait until I could spend $600 or more?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It's been a while since I first got onto this forum and then learned about these cameras. Can I just check that if I buy three of these that the best NVR for these will be the NVR5208-4KS2? Is there a 4 channel version because I won't be expanding the wired cameras past 3 really. Also, the poe switch I have is the Netgear GS308P-100UKS. Or is there an equally good NVR I can buy from the UK for a similar or cheaper price?
it doesnt matter if the cameras are wired or wireless...its one camera per channel.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've been quietly reading this and other threads for two or three months. It is amazingly informative and sometimes overwhelming. I haven't yet pulled the trigger, but am very interested in incrementally building a flexible system as my budget allows. Following advice to have horsepower to spare costs money. Would a BI capable system for $300 have the ability for upgrade or would I be better to wait until I could spend $600 or more?
An i5-6500 skylake system can be purchased for 300 dollars...an i7-6700 can be had for 400-550....search the forum for optiplex and elite desk. Upgrading the processor makes no fiscal sense. IF you are going to buy these 1080p cameras you can easily run 10-12 of them on an i5-6500 skylake.

freddyq

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
it doesnt matter if the cameras are wired or wireless...its one camera per channel.
Fair enough - so I need to stick to 8 channel but is there a recommended NVR which can be bought in the UK to work with these cameras or should I really buy the Dahua NVR?

alarum_78

n3wb
Reaction score
Ordered one these to replace a broken Huisun 10X PTZ. Thanks for all the great info everyone.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Today I was able to do a direct comparison between a Fixed Lens Starlight Mini-Dome and the Varifocal Starlight Turret here:Dahua Starlight Mini-Dome 3.6mm (IPC-HDB4231C-AS)

As @fenderman has been saying all along; pay the extra for the Varifocal Turret.. its worth every penny.. I am glad @EMPIRETECANDY provided me a sample to evaluate side-by-side so we could all see for our selves.. He did us a huge favor helping me settle this so thank you very much.

I would expect all of the varifocal models with a F1.4 Aperture to perform as this one did, the PTZ's have a F1.6 which will be very close but not quite as good.. the Fixed Cameras F2.0 just ruins the great photon gathering capabilities of this chipset.

Last edited:

Dropnbassonu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Go back a page. I told you exactly how to order them. Very easy to do with no issues.
I did, Andy told me to wait until he has them in stock and then he'd post in here. Hence the reason I'm curious how somebody was able to order one. I imagine he bought it from somebody else maybe or has a close relationship with Andy.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Been waiting for some of these cameras from Andy since the end of November. I'm about to receive a Dahua PAL NVR so I'm looking forward to some cameras. Hopefully by Christmas!
NVR has PAL/NTSC selected, not a problem at all. If nvr not support such, i can send you firmware for updating. I will put the stock status update slightly later today.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
******All guys attention please, i will get around 200pcs stock in next Monday after the 4 weeks booking. This stock will come around 26th. For those who already made order on our shop or paid on paypal, all can ship out on Wednesday(US time) Ours Thursday morning. Please just wait my tracking No. updating.

Thanks for all support and trust during this time, appreciated. If you need any other dahua device, i will offer some discounts, but have to tell me you are members here.
Merry Christmas and happy new year.

BR
Andy

phydeaux

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
******All guys attention please, i will get around 200pcs stock in next Monday after the 4 weeks booking. This stock will come around 26th. For those who already made order on our shop or paid on paypal, all can ship out on Wednesday(US time) Ours Thursday morning. Please just wait my tracking No. updating.

Thanks for all support and trust during this time, appreciated. If you need any other dahua device, i will offer some discounts, but have to tell me you are members here.
Merry Christmas and happy new year.

BR
Andy
Just ordered 1 There was no option for NTSC. I included Note on order about NTSC. Could only order 1 piece on checkout
Also are you giving Members the Lower cost of $ 170.00 ?

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Just ordered 1 There was no option for NTSC. I included Note on order about NTSC. Could only order 1 piece on checkout
WILL Send you NTSC one, i will offer discount later for the price. I can't offer you discount when you finish the payment my friend.
So anyone use aliexpress to make the order, please make the order and leave it there without payment, i will change the price when i see it and then pay it.

I will start to put on stock on Saturday 24th. Please wait then.

deeuubee

n3wb
Reaction score
Andy, Thank you for all the great communication and help.

You are a great statesman for international trade.

Merry Christmas and Happy New year to you.

Looking forward to my Christmas presents from you :)

freddyq

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Great news Andy!

@nayr as far as mounting these goes you previously mentioned these don't require a mount as the base can be fixed to the wall and the camera then fixes to the base. Is that right? Does the CAT6 cable need to go under the base or above because I'll be travelling the cable along the wall to where the camera will be fixed so not sure if I just travel cable to camera and plug into the back...

Iceman24

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
How did you order it? From link in first post, I couldn't add to cart.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
this should be self explanatory
IMAG0704.jpg

With vynil siding you can typically pass the pigtail out, plug it in, seal it up and shove it behind the siding with at most a slight bulge where its hiding at.

Otherwise drill a hole out the bottom of the mount large enough to fit the ethernet plugs through (3/4in minimum) and run it inside to your attic/soffits/whatever.

If mounting to brick and or using external wiring in a conduit then get your hands on the PFA137 junction box.. with brick most of the time you can get an unterminated ethernet cable through the grout which is much easier to drill through and patch up if needed.. if using Conduit I always suggest EMT over PVC.

Last edited:

freddyq

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
this should be self explanatory
View attachment 13208

With vynil siding you can typically pass the pigtail out, plug it in, seal it up and shove it behind the siding with at most a slight bulge where its hiding at.

Otherwise drill a hole out the bottom of the mount large enough to fit the ethernet plugs through (3/4in minimum) and run it inside to your attic/soffits/whatever.

If mounting to brick and or using external wiring in a conduit then get your hands on the PFA137 junction box.. with brick most of the time you can get an unterminated ethernet cable through the grout which is much easier to drill through and patch up if needed.. if using Conduit I always suggest EMT over PVC.
Hmm I'm a bit confused tbh...sorry! I'll be mounting on brick but I don't get the taking the cable through grout bit - is there a video I can refer to? Have a feeling that would clarify it.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
most maisonry work will have about 1/4in or more of grout between all the bricks.. If you try to drill a hole through the brick its self it'll be a slow process even with a hammer drill because its so hard, worse than drilling into concrete IMHO.. then you risk fracturing the brick trying to create a large enough hole to pass the plugs through.

Alternatively you can drill through the grout and a nice maisonry bit will cut through it like butter (relatively), even with a battery powered dewalt.. but you'll never get a 3/4in hole through the grout so the camera's plug will pass through to the inside.. but you can drill like a 1/4in hole or smaller through the grout, into the wall/structure behind and phish a unterminated ethernet cable through it.. the junction box will allow you to stuff the pigtail/plug ends inside it and the only hole you need to make is the diameter of the ethernet cable (and of course the anchors for the junction box) and thats much smaller and easier to patch up later with some fresh grout.

If your adverse to drilling a 3/4in hole for the plugs, or dont have a place to stuff the pigtail into.. then you'll want the junction box to hold the ethernet coupling.. also if you want to run external IR off a PoE splitter or something you'll need a place to put that out of the elements.

Harbor Freight sells like 12" long masonry bits in a variety pack for a reasonable cost; you'll need some really long bits to punch through brick and through the walls behind.