Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
mebe some silicon to seal off the hole in your stucco.. its the easiest to repair of all the finishes so most people dont mind putting a 3/4in hole through it to feed the whole plug into the wall with.. just be careful not to hit a stud.

if for some reason you wanted to delete that camera, just leave the cable in place and patch/paint up the hole.. much like sheetrock.

I plan to stuff my hole with insulation then do a half moon silicone sealant around the top of camera mounting plate

I don't like junction boxes and preferred my camera to be mounted flatly against the walls so mean snaking cables in walls etc .

I probably going to have to make some small opening inside sheetrock then patch it up. My wife will freak out of course but it worth a couple of night sleeping on couch for a clean looking installs without junction boxes and conducts running along the outside walls. :)

Bill

PS My wife know I am her world best handyman :)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if your going to caulk around the camera just make sure to bench test it well before deploying since doing so after the fact will be a PITA; might also make using internal SD a bit of a pain as the cards are known to flake out after a few weeks/months of operation if you cheap out.

but I agree, I prefer to flush mount cameras when possible.. but I dont mind the look of EMT Conduit when the alternative is cables strung along the outside of the house.. Mine is half Brick half Vinyl, on the brick side it was easiest and cleanest to use junction boxes up high, then black painted conduit down to ground level where I could drill directly into my basement.. its all on the sides and back of the house and my brick is black so nobody ever see's any of it.

Tic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'd like to get two of this camera and never tried PM before. How do I PM Andy?

Thanks and Merry Christmas to you all.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
back to install advice; its not that the fasteners/anchors that come with the camera are crap.. I honestly dont know, as I long ago gave up on using the cheap ass anchors that come from china and just discard them and use some good trusty ones from my local hardware store.. in my experience bundled screws/anchors are always crap, just to be used in a pinch if your desperate to avoid a trip to a box store heh.

doretau

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Seeing how this camera supports micro sd card install up to 128GB, does anyone know roughly how much that equates into actual recording if set to 10fps at max video resolution?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Software/Disk Calculator - Dahua Wiki

~2 days @ 5736Kbps (Max bitrate for 10FPS) if using h264

I record continuously to SD storage as a backup, usually just 64GB cards as I just need the last 24h if I need anything off it (if you have built in poe and someone steals NVR cameras will go offline and wont overwrite the event).. after a network outage my Dahua NVR will automatically recover any lost footage from the cameras local SD and fill any gaps it has in the timeline.. this feature is called ANR this is from the help:

• ANR: It is to save video to the SD card of the network camera in case the network connection fails. The value ranges from 0s~ After the network connection resumed, the system can get the video from the SD card and there is no risk of record loss.
this feature would be awesome on the rare instance where you have to run a camera off a wireless or remote internet link.

Last edited:

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
if your going to caulk around the camera just make sure to bench test it well before deploying since doing so after the fact will be a PITA; might also make using internal SD a bit of a pain as the cards are known to flake out after a few weeks/months of operation if you cheap out.

but I agree, I prefer to flush mount cameras when possible.. but I dont mind the look of EMT Conduit when the alternative is cables strung along the outside of the house.. Mine is half Brick half Vinyl, on the brick side it was easiest and cleanest to use junction boxes up high, then black painted conduit down to ground level where I could drill directly into my basement.. its all on the sides and back of the house and my brick is black so nobody ever see's any of it.
Maybe I type it out wrong. Let me try to explain it differently.

I am not caulking the camera itself. I haven't install it yet and I never installed an turret "eyeball" camera before but from looking at the turret on my table, it in three pieces right? The back mount, camera and camera cover plate.

My thinking is that I will be drilling at least 3/4 to one inch holes to be able to run the Ethernet/power jack through the wall.
After drilling the hole, I would screw the back mount to the wall then that where I would do a half moon caulking. I would apply silicone only on the top half of that mount so rain water will run down around the back mount but if rain water somehow get inside the mount then it will drain out of the bottom since there no caulk there.

Then when I started to put the camera onto the back mount at same time feed the Ethernet/power cable into the hole, I would just screw the cover plate on it and adjust if necessary.

One thing that I thought about is I might use a rubber stopper with hole and slice to insert the cable and stop up the hole to further seal it up but I could always remove the stopper and pull the cable back out if I need to service the camera.

The camera itself seem to be sealed so no worries there, just need a way to prevent the rain water going into the hole where the cable is run through but I don't want to fill it up silicone after feeding cable into it. I would have to break the silicon seal and clean silicon off the cable every time I need to service the camera.

Bill

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
let us know what you come up with heh, I havent installed my turret yet so all you guys waiting can stop crying hah.. Mine is going in back yard as an overview camera, its my darkest and been the hardest but I am really keen on using intrusion detection to control my big PTZ and security lighting.

I'll be surface mounting it to the underside of my pitched soffit in the center of the yard as high as it'll go.. my first overview camera since all chokes are secured.

but I may hold off as I have a few other starlights I want to deploy around the place, and this is the benchmark camera to compare em all with.. not keen on taking it down to do another review heh.

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
might also make using internal SD a bit of a pain as the cards are known to flake out after a few weeks/months of operation if you cheap out.
Just curious how long you average before the cards die?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
ive had one recording for almost 3 years w/out issue.. others fail in short order; it can be a crap shoot at times.. I do burn in tests now.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
****** Today get confirm from Dahua my booking ones can be all ready before 26th. So can ship new cameras to us soon. This time maybe enough stock to ship out shortly.
By the way, today i ship out 43pcs out, still have little order not processed, but will be soon. I use FEDEX IP for US, seems can all be delivered on next Monday.
I will keep all you guys updated, thanks.
Andy

Last edited:

Bob Sherger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Andy,

Are you going to have enough to process 6 cams or so of this model? If I can't get this model, then I will have to fall back to something else. I DM'd you but got no reply. Thanks.

****** Today get confirm from Dahua my booking ones can be all ready before 26th. So can ship new cameras to us soon. This time maybe enough stock to ship out shortly.
By the way, today i ship out 43pcs out, still have little order not processed, but will be soon. I use FEDEX IP for US, seems can all be delivered on next Monday.
I will keep all you guys updated, thanks.
Andy

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
its worth every dollar of $170, as soon as I can get my hands on the bullet version of this with external audio and alarm IO I have 2 4MP Dahuas that will be replaced after only a few months.. they are that good.. turrets are hard to get with wide optic ranges, so the varifocal makes this a king among turrets.

next year's bonus might be spent on a black face starlight ptz :D
Which PTZ are you talking about?

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Varifocals are way prone to it; because you can zoom in and get the soffits completely out of frame.. however the Ir is still 90 degreeish and the lens is still aimed at the soffits.. so wham... usually happens when someone tries to zoom in on something far out and and its not aimed downward as much.

If your existing cams are not having any issues; then this should not either with the same framing..
Are you reading license plates of people that pull in your driveway, or people who drive up and down your street, and what are you doing with the numbers?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
people whom drive up/down my street, it saves a jpeg snapshot of every plate it sees and dumps it into a database; very space efficent.. last time I checked there was a 250k plate reads and it was consuming less storage space than a single day of 1080p h264 video; I'll be able to keep every image of every plate for several years of historical data.. That is all accomplished with a very specific setup that has nothing to do w/this camera.

The PTZ I am talking about is: SD59230U-HNI | Dahua Technology

I have an older, non-starlight version of that and it's still doing quite well comparatively..

Last edited:

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Nayr, question on that: is that standard functionality to store it in a database with alpr ?
Seems interesting tondo that so you can query on license plate, or date for an event.

My sql knowledge is a bit rusty as it was years ago on school :)