Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
standard out of the box w/openalprd? no, I wrote a simple app to do it.. sometime when I get the time I'd like to write a nice WebUI to the database so I can analyze all the data Ive gathered a bit easier than I am doing right now.

the software extracts all images with license plates and then gives me its 10 best guesses at what it says, I store that in a database that I can go back and dig through as needed.. sometimes I have partial plates, or just time/date ranges and a description of the vehicle.

its never 100%, some people's plates are damaged/old/obsecured.. but the vast majority of em I get.

On a difficultly level, LPR is high up there.. not for the faint of heart.. requires a dedicated camera, computer, video card and alot of technical ability.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Just ship all cams out and finish updating all trackings on aliexpess or PAYPAL. Some guys order still not process, but i will finish this shortly early next week. Thanks so much for support.
US orders all use FEDEX IP
EU orders all use DHL
EU orders FREE TAX WAY, Use UPS.

Thanks for all guys support and Merry Christmas. I already open BEC shop selling, and the discount need to wait 24hours. I already make the setting, please don't make the order till the price changed to 170usd, I can't change all the price for each order, thanks all guys.

Andy

phydeaux

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just ship all cams out and finish updating all trackings on aliexpess or PAYPAL. Some guys order still not process, but i will finish this shortly early next week. Thanks so much for support.
US orders all use FEDEX IP
EU orders all use DHL
EU orders FREE TAX WAY, Use UPS.

Thanks for all guys support and Merry Christmas. I already open BEC shop selling, and the discount need to wait 24hours. I already make the setting, please don't make the order till the price changed to 170usd, I can't change all the price for each order, thanks all guys.

Andy

phydeaux

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks Andy
Received Confirmation in my Email with Tracking Number.

You have done an exceptional Job of communication, One aspect I look at in future purchases.

cam235

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I got notification my HDW5231 is being shipped, after a month of waiting. EDIT: I see the news already popped up here as I was typing it. Thanks for the updates.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
people whom drive up/down my street, it saves a jpeg snapshot of every plate it sees and dumps it into a database; very space efficent.. last time I checked there was a 250k plate reads and it was consuming less storage space than a single day of 1080p h264 video; I'll be able to keep every image of every plate for several years of historical data.. That is all accomplished with a very specific setup that has nothing to do w/this camera.

The PTZ I am talking about is: SD59230U-HNI | Dahua Technology

I have an older, non-starlight version of that and it's still doing quite well comparatively..
Looks like a sweet camera the SD59230U-HNI, prices all kind of all over the map though lol. Would love to pick one up to fool around with though, good for spying on people in the neighborhood.

M1CHA3L

n3wb
Reaction score
people whom drive up/down my street, it saves a jpeg snapshot of every plate it sees and dumps it into a database; very space efficent.. last time I checked there was a 250k plate reads and it was consuming less storage space than a single day of 1080p h264 video; I'll be able to keep every image of every plate for several years of historical data.. That is all accomplished with a very specific setup that has nothing to do w/this camera.

The PTZ I am talking about is: SD59230U-HNI | Dahua Technology

I have an older, non-starlight version of that and it's still doing quite well comparatively..
Do you think auto tracking working good on that dahua PTZ starlight?

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is andy's shop, but dont pay right away and pm him for discount.. if u pay first u get list price.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
That is andy's shop, but dont pay right away and pm him for discount.. if u pay first u get list price.
Gonna do that now, does he have the bullets yet? I really wanna be able to hook motion sensors to it but I'll order a turret now since it's gonna take a while to get to me haha.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
not yet I been bugging him about it since early november; I believe he's awaiting fulfillment on his end.. I asked him to get me one asap as I have a 4MP 12mm Bullet that I just installed a few months ago that I am not happy with at night.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
not yet I been bugging him about it since early november; I believe he's awaiting fulfillment on his end.. I asked him to get me one asap as I have a 4MP 12mm Bullet that I just installed a few months ago that I am not happy with at night.
Sucks to buy these things and then try them out and not like them lol oh well, I guess that's just the way it is, one reason I love that this camera is verifocal, and motorized at that. I really hate buying fixed focal point cameras that you can't tweak to where you mount them. It's also funny that there are 2mp cameras beating out 4mp cameras. You think higher number better but that definitely does not seem to be the case. You learn quick not to get hung up on the numbers I guess lol. I shot him a message I wanna get my order in for a turret now so I can get the ball rolling and try one out. I forgot, you said you are doing motion sensing with a separate system right? I wish they put PIR sensors in more cameras, it makes sense, I guess I will just have to figure out how to wire up external ones, maybe battery powered.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
More MegaPixels == More Detail == common fallacy

From DLSR to SmartPhone to IP Cameras; >MP is hype and is a horrible thing to use as a benchmark.. it all comes down to the photons not the pixels.

Most 4MP cameras are like 0.1 Lux, where as these are 0.006.. thats better than an order of magnitude.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
More MegaPixels == More Detail == common fallacy

From DLSR to SmartPhone to IP Cameras; >MP is hype and is a horrible thing to use as a benchmark.. it all comes down to the photons not the pixels.

Most 4MP cameras are like 0.1 Lux, where as these are 0.006.. thats better than an order of magnitude.
So true, I learn more everyday.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
what do you mean? does that dahua ptz work the same like in this video?
That video is a prime example of the uselessness of "auto tracking"..its following the van, not the car...how does the camera know what the proper target should be...forget auto track...buy several fixed/varifocal cameras.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
and that was still a pretty ideal environment for such things, but exactly.. it can only track one thing at a time so its like having a guard dog thats too busy looking out the window at the squirrels to notice that someone is taking the sofa out the front door.

zoob

n3wb
Reaction score
They show 170.99 on Ali for me. Very happy with my first one, just needed to clean out the metal shavings from the mount. Can't wait till it gets warmer so I can mount these properly outside. I currently have it sitting on a window sill.

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
and that was still a pretty ideal environment for such things, but exactly.. it can only track one thing at a time so its like having a guard dog thats too busy looking out the window at the squirrels to notice that someone is taking the sofa out the front door.
I agree, but if you watch only your own ground and not expect multiple intruders from multiple sides, you might get nice zoomed in details from the event.
In the above posted clip you can see some details from the cars, but normaly you would have cameras that are also zoomed in. And you could do 3 normal cameras for the price of a ptz like this one.

This link i posted before, here is one overview camera that spots movement all over the image and seems to steer the ptz to it for more detail. It hops all over the place, but still gets most objects moving in the area. You would need many stationary cameras to get the same i guess.

Last edited: