Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Looks like... says English..only thing I didn't see is if they are PAL or ntsc. It would be worth waiting to deal with @EMPIRETECANDY , his service and shipping is top notch.

jr4net

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank @nayr..
I will wait for Andy to get them back in stock in February..

These New model from Dahua may take longer time to ship, it could be 2 weeks or 3 weeks to ship, if you need in a hurry, please contact us first to check the shipping time.

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So I took a few shots, not exhaustive by any means but it's getting late and I have tons of time to fart around with it, first impressions? I freaking love it, it blows my hikvision away, and I can NEVAR go back to manual focus again. Unless dahua or someone else comes out with something else around the same price point that is a lot better than this, I will probably be buying like 3 more of these when the next batch comes in, I already told Andy to reserve me 3. Here are some shots out back, quick and dirty, I don't have test rigs or anything yes so I used a lawn chair, sue me lol. File names are self explanatory.

Notes:
I've got a pretty good sized flood light that lights up the back yard, when the light is out, it's pretty much pitch dark back there except for moonlight. Cameras were on a chair close to the ground so light dispersion probably would have been better if they were higher up.
My Hik is super noisy too. Daytime is nice, night time, poop lol

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I know I'll be getting at least one more of these cameras to replace the 4300S on the back patio; and I'm considering putting one on the other side of the driveway as I'm thinking of adding a second driveway going back to my bus so I dont have to park in the street.. also less grass to water if I zero-scape that entire half of the front.

but first Ive got bigger fish to fry, I'll wait til availability of this is much better ;)

DuncanMcDonuts

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I've been testing around the motion detection settings. I have snapshot enabled to send to my e-mail and it works, but there's about a second delay whenever the region is triggered and that sometimes allows my subject (me) to get out of the frame. Whenever I review the playback, there's a one second skip in the video when the snapshot was triggered. Can anyone help me out with the settings?

Another thing is that turning the light on triggers the motion detection, too. This might be troublesome for my front door camera whenever I turn the porch light on for the evening. Is there a fix for that or do people just ignore that false alarm?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
use tripwire instead, motion detection is just to be used to flag events in a NVR timeline for possible review.. its far too noisy to use for notifications.. thats the case with basic pixel based motion detection built into all cameras unless you offload it to a PC w/software like BlueIris.

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I know I'll be getting at least one more of these cameras to replace the 4300S on the back patio; and I'm considering putting one on the other side of the driveway as I'm thinking of adding a second driveway going back to my bus so I dont have to park in the street.. also less grass to water if I zero-scape that entire half of the front.

but first Ive got bigger fish to fry, I'll wait til availability of this is much better ;)
Do I dare ask why you have a bus? lol

DuncanMcDonuts

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Unfortunately, my camera doesn't seem to support it. It's connected to a NVR 5216-16P-4KS2. The IVS menu is only accessible through the NVR software itself, not Web Service (Chrome App) or the SmartPSS. When I do select it, it says "Channel 1 Does not support configuration search or modification!"

3-phase

n3wb
Reaction score
yes, just beware epacket shipping takes forever.
As a warning, I purchased two of the cameras discussed in this thread from this retailer on December 2nd, 2016. As of today, I still do not have them. They claim they were "lost" by the ePacket delivery and are now sending them via DHL. The DHL tracking number was provided three days ago and no updates have been posted since DHL received the shipment info.

Eagle Vision Security so far gets a big thumbs down from me.

Additionally, I ordered one HDW5231R-Z from pchomeestore168 on eBay on 10/03/2016 and did not receive it until 12/2/2016. The camera is great! The ePacket is slow.

I'm in contact with Andy to order a few more now.

Kpanic09

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So quick question just recieved my 4 cameras, what mounts would i use with these cameras? Im looking on amazon but dont know exactly which ones to go with

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So quick question just recieved my 4 cameras, what mounts would i use with these cameras? Im looking on amazon but dont know exactly which ones to go with
Where do they need to go? They should be able to mount with what you have in the box.

Kpanic09

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Oh so you dont need mounts? There are going into stucco and my eaves outside

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You "can" get a junction box, but it isn't required. Mine are getting mounted to the stucco with long enough screws to hit the beam, and I'll just tuck the excess wires in the wall, then silicone around it. Will look cleaner in my opinion.

Tic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
its a 1975 VW Westfallia... Bus, the tires sit under front seats and the engine is in the back... just a bit smaller.
Back in my elementary years we call that a VW Kombi. My Aunt had one. Rode like a bus but felt and sounded exactly like a Beetle -- a stretched Beetle. My dad had the Notchback, my friend's dad had the Squareback, and a family friend had the Brasilia. Yes, those were the good old days. :);)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Kombi's dont have camper pop-tops and a sink inside, just a bunch of bench seats.. Technically my vin plate reads campmobile instead of Kombi

Westfallia is just a german van conversion company; there were many companies that made conversions of various types for these.. they also made the trailer hitch for my golf.

Ive got a turbo diesel out of a 2001 Beetle sitting in my garage that im gathering all the components for a full on water cooled conversion in the upcoming years.. then it'll have a dirty diesel in the back, definitely a bus.

Last edited:

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score

I'm ready to buy 3-4 of these things as soon as I can get my greedy little hands on them LOL.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
use tripwire instead, motion detection is just to be used to flag events in a NVR timeline for possible review.. its far too noisy to use for notifications.. thats the case with basic pixel based motion detection built into all cameras unless you offload it to a PC w/software like BlueIris.
Wasn't there a device, sealevel? That I can connect to my computer, and connect PIR sensors too? I'm thinking about playing with that as I prefer these turrets over the bullets now. Also does it connect to the PC via USB or ethernet?