Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
looks like my 5-5231s cameras should arrive at my home in next hour ...1 question i want try try cameras first at home before installing them at my work place out of town ..have premade short cat 5 cables ,can i use cat 5 just to try cameras ?and can i see cameras hooking directly to nvr5216 and home screen pc without internet?
Yes.

Lawstone

n3wb
Reaction score
I just wanted to say thank you to Nayr, Andy and everyone else for all of the great information. I just recently just discovered and joined this forum as I am buying my first camera setup with an NVR for my home security. After reading the many posts, I feel more confident in going down this road than paying someone thousands of dollars to install a less quality setup for me. Now I just have to wait for these turrets to get into stock so I can order the NVR and cameras from Andy and start the fun. I have to agree with everyone on here. I would rather wait the little bit of time and buy from him directly to make sure that I get a quality product. I'm sure you will start to see more of me on the forums once I get the cameras and questions come up and I post setup pics. Thanks again everyone!

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Some of you have mentioned tucking all the cables behind the camera for flush mounting without a box. Am I missing something? It seems impossible to fit the waterproof cable boot in there.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I never claimed it was possible, Ive always said to get a junction box..

but thanks for the illustration; perhaps someone knows origami better than us

still gotta get a few wraps of self sealing silicon tape around that too.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I ran the plug into my house where possible and caulked. I ended up picking some gray Waterproof boxes from Lowes. The cam fits on top of the box pretty well. I drilled holes in the box at the Waterproof seam and ran wires. Closed up the box and caulked any openings.

Attachments

woolfman72

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i plan on getting a turret or two and am wondering if my cables are able to be pushed into the wall or attic (depending on the location) is it still necessary to go through the trouble of terminating the cat5 and running it inside the weather proof ends like in the picture above.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
One of my other cams is mounted to that box. It's raining. Not walking back to take a picture. Lol. Boy the rain is triggering events like crazy. Guess there is only so much you can do.

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I never claimed it was possible, Ive always said to get a junction box..

but thanks for the illustration; perhaps someone knows origami better than us

still gotta get a few wraps of self sealing silicon tape around that too.
Yeah I must have misread that. Oh well no biggie.

The front of the house is the one spot I really care about the aesthetics. So I'll make sure to just get a wall mount for that.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I ran the plug into my house where possible and caulked. I ended up picking some gray Waterproof boxes from Lowes. The cam fits on top of the box pretty well. I drilled holes in the box at the Waterproof seam and ran wires. Closed up the box and caulked any openings.
That's a great idea. I will look at doing something like that at the side of the house where I'm under the roof overhang like that.

For the one on the front of the garage I don't have any good place to hide such a junction.

What size junction did you mount the camera to? I found the cover screws lined up far too well with the turret base for all the ones I tried.

Andy said it's too expensive to just ship the junction boxes so I'll try to minimize my need for them. $10 ea on Ali is fine but $25+ ea State side sellers is a little steep for 8 of these.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That's a great idea. I will look at doing something like that at the side of the house where I'm under the roof overhang like that.

For the one on the front of the garage I don't have any good place to hide such a junction.

What size junction did you mount the camera to? I found the cover screws lined up far too well with the turret base for all the ones I tried.

Andy said it's too expensive to just ship the junction boxes so I'll try to minimize my need for them. $10 ea on Ali is fine but $25+ ea State side sellers is a little steep for 8 of these.

Buy the dahua junction box designed for this purpose..a few extra bux for the camera to look nice is no big deal...

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think they were 4x4" Waterproof boxes. Found at Lowes and probably Home Depot. I got the thinner ones being not much was going in it. There are no punch outs or openings. I drilled my own. I will probably go back and paint white at a later date.

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Buy the dahua junction box designed for this purpose..a few extra bux for the camera to look nice is no big deal...
Haha yeah. It's my Canadian cheapskate side kicking in.

I've easily for $2000 sunk into these cameras, drives, NVR, Poe switch etc. What's a couple hundred more.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Haha yeah. It's my Canadian cheapskate side kicking in.

I've easily for $2000 sunk into these cameras, drives, NVR, Poe switch etc. What's a couple hundred more.

You dont want to spend all that cash and have the install look like crap...the proper junction box will only cost 13 or so per camera...

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You dont want to spend all that cash and have the install look like crap...the proper junction box will only cost 13 or so per camera...
Well because I forgot them it's more like 22 per camera. But oh well.

Andy said shopping for just the boxes is prohibitively costly. Didn't say how much but he said for just the boxes it's not worth it.

I can get them on another sellers site for $10 ea but 20-30 day shipping. Lol.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well because I forgot them it's more like 22 per camera. But oh well.

Andy said shopping for just the boxes is prohibitively costly. Didn't say how much but he said for just the boxes it's not worth it.

I can get them on another sellers site for $10 ea but 20-30 day shipping. Lol.

So either wait a month or spend an extra 12 dollars per cam..what is that 50-70 dollars? or save that money and have your install look like crap...