Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

mrbaddy

n3wb
Reaction score
I cant even find the camera IPC-HDW5231R-Z on the empire site now. Sent a message as you suggested. Getting a little frustrated here..really wanted to finally get this ordered today. Ill wait a couple more days i guess and see what happens before i try another vendor. Prefer to deal with forum member

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I cant even find the camera IPC-HDW5231R-Z on the empire site now. Sent a message as you suggested. Getting a little frustrated here..really wanted to finally get this ordered today. Ill wait a couple more days i guess and see what happens before i try another vendor. Prefer to deal with forum member

suck....hopefully soon. :D

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i was also wait for 231R-Z almost 2 months ..because there was no stock anywhere ..now i wait ptz 49 ,should be stock next week ...

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
i was also wait for 231R-Z almost 2 months ..because there was no stock anywhere ..now i wait ptz 49 ,should be stock next week ...
I remember andy saying dahua changed the way they did things, that might make them harder to get lol.

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
yes i remember i got my turrets .now just wait ptz ;) router and monitor are on the way 2 more days then will start with VPN so i can see them remotely ...

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
yes i remember i got my turrets .now just wait ptz ;) router and monitor are on the way 2 more days then will start with VPN so i can see them remotely ...
seeing them remotely is a must, and most of the reason I have cameras.

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
No, you are simply inexperienced and your mind is fouled by the MP hype cell phone manufacturers have been scamming you with for years..a non starlight camera would do horrible in that scene you would not be able to leave it in day mode...There is VERY little benefit to 3mp and 4mp in daytime..I cannot stress this enough, 3mp does not generate 50 percent more pixels per foot and 4mp will NOT generate double the pixels per foot...
There is VERY good reason why the experienced folks on this forum are recommending this camera for general outdoor home use.
it would look like shit because there is less surface area to collect photons. To get similar performance you'd need a 4mp camera with a much bigger sensor and it would cost you an arm and a leg. Security cameras need to do well in any lighting condition, on a giant 4k tv the higher rest may look a little sharper during the day, who cares? are you shooting a movie? when set up properly, a 2mp camera will look just fine when set up for a choke point, 3-4mp allows you blow a section up a tiny bit more, so what. Once the light level drops enough, your 4mp camera will become noisy and grainy as hell and you won't be able to tell anything. This is the best tool for the job unless you intend to drop a couple grand per camera.
Clearly getting more pixels on target at the same light sensitivity levels is better. What confuses people is likly the squared / square root difference in pixel to pixel density and the fact that they do not read the light level specifications (assuming they are all done to a standard measurement technique). to double the pixel density of a 2MP camera, you would need an 8 MP camera. If you can buy an 8MP camera with light sensitivity of 0.006 lux or better (lower) for less than the money in your pocket, then you would likely have a better camera for 99% of your viewing pleasure. The 4 MP Hikvision claims to be 0.01lux, which it is not. it is pretty good but not that good. Even with this spec it needs 2x the same about of light (think shutter speed if you will), and there is the DSP clearing things up.

One simple way to look at it is for a reasonably well lit but dim area (say 1 lux), the total light that enters the lens in some fraction of time (say 1/25 sec), either gets divided up to 2M pixels or to 4M pixels. Which one do you think will be clearly presented?

Now if we have a very bright scene, like over 100 lm it is likely that the more pixels on target the better. There are indeed some hours of the year that fall into this category. Getting WDR and shutter speed correct is still needed, but the quality higher MP camera will likely prevail. Here in sunny southern cal i would guess that this accounts for 20% or so of the time in the year and more like 2% of the time that i care about. If i wanted to watch cars go by during the day, i would probably opt for a 4K camera over a 2MP starlight. Good to have more than one camera on target and have the money to get there :).

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
yes its a must and for me to. its on my work place outside of town ..and will have to do some automation also ..im leaving in evening machines to do cutting big stone block and would like to see remotely when machine is done and would like to put some wireless switch or something so i can remotely turn the machines of with cellphone

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Clearly getting more pixels on target at the same light sensitivity levels is better. What confuses people is likly the squared / square root difference in pixel to pixel density and the fact that they do not read the light level specifications (assuming they are all done to a standard measurement technique). to double the pixel density of a 2MP camera, you would need an 8 MP camera. If you can buy an 8MP camera with light sensitivity of 0.006 lux or better (lower) for less than the money in your pocket, then you would likely have a better camera for 99% of your viewing pleasure. The 4 MP Hikvision claims to be 0.01lux, which it is not. it is pretty good but not that good. Even with this spec it needs 2x the same about of light (think shutter speed if you will), and there is the DSP clearing things up.

One simple way to look at it is for a reasonably well lit but dim area (say 1 lux), the total light that enters the lens in some fraction of time (say 1/25 sec), either gets divided up to 2M pixels or to 4M pixels. Which one do you think will be clearly presented?

Now if we have a very bright scene, like over 100 lm it is likely that the more pixels on target the better. There are indeed some hours of the year that fall into this category. Getting WDR and shutter speed correct is still needed, but the quality higher MP camera will likely prevail. Here in sunny southern cal i would guess that this accounts for 20% or so of the time in the year and more like 2% of the time that i care about. If i wanted to watch cars go by during the day, i would probably opt for a 4K camera over a 2MP starlight. Good to have more than one camera on target and have the money to get there :).
Good explanation.

Semper Gumby

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
im just trying to get it ordered..seems like the site would be faster then waiting for email invoice. going to order now..thanks for the reply

update..says 0 available now...i must have waited 10 minutes too long...uggh
It's been 0 for awhile.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
yes its a must and for me to. its on my work place outside of town ..and will have to do some automation also ..im leaving in evening machines to do cutting big stone block and would like to see remotely when machine is done and would like to put some wireless switch or something so i can remotely turn the machines of with cellphone
the heck are you doing? :D

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
cutting stone block in smaller smaller pieces lol:D, i would like to be able to see machines when they finish i fck hate to go back to work from town just to see machine need 1or 2 hours more to finish hahaha

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
cutting stone block in smaller smaller pieces lol:D, i would like to be able to see machines when they finish i fck hate to go back to work from town just to see machine need 1or 2 hours more to finish hahaha
so would I, should be very easy to do, and totally worth it.

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I get all of that. I just think this camera has been sometimes oversold by some as being a miracle 24x7, when IMO its superpowers are mostly at night (and being able to zoom in precisely).

I don't live in a grocery store, but my street isn't nearly as dark as many I've seen posted up. I'm curious how a 3MP/4MP would do here, but not enough to drop the $$$. :)

View attachment 16136
I agree it not a miracle 24x7 solution and that's what I was saying earlier in my other posts.

I think this post by Nayr gives some sort of idea about what we're saying. He's comparing the HDW5231R-Z to the fixed lens HDW4231EM-AS:

The F2.0 has a larger depth of focus, good for overview shots in the daytime

not alot of difference, IQ seems better on Fixed Lens.. but the Varifocal has taken alot of abuse from the sun being in view.. hope it didnt hurt anything.
There's nothing "wrong" with Nayr's 5231, mine also looks like I'm viewing the scene through a dirty foggy lens during the day.

The optics in use need to be taken into account. I know in the DSLR world a cheap zoom lens will rarely perform as well as a cheap fixed lens. Throw twice the number of pixels into the equation and I think people might start to understand my posts.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree it not a miracle 24x7 solution and that's what I was saying earlier in my other posts.

I think this post by Nayr gives some sort of idea about what we're saying. He's comparing the HDW5231R-Z to the fixed lens HDW4231EM-AS:

There's nothing "wrong" with Nayr's 5231, mine also looks like I'm viewing the scene through a dirty foggy lens during the day.

The optics in use need to be taken into account. I know in the DSLR world a cheap zoom lens will rarely perform as well as a cheap fixed lens. Throw twice the number of pixels into the equation and I think people might start to understand my posts.
Wrong...A 4mp camera will look virtually the same...

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
I am also waiting for the word from @EMPIRETECANDY for when I can order these cams from him. I hope I don't have to wait too long.
Today no news, seems tomorrow can be OK, I will check how many already stock in, because their system freezed around 1 week. Will put on aliexpress stock soon when i have any news.
Thanks for all guys waiting.
Andy

Last edited:

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Attention all guys.

As per notification from dahua right now, there has a serious backdoor for some of dahua's camera and recorders. This was found last week, so i think this is the problem for dahua to stop shipping items. I have to tell the truth for all members here. Now dahua is testing all models now and will provide firmware updating if those models have problems. So we wait more days to see how we solve this.

I am also bit shocked for this issue. They informed some of these models have to update the firmware, seems all US models. If you bought these in USA, please ask your distributor for the latest special firmware.

DH-IPC-HDW23A0RN-ZS
DH-IPC-HDBW23A0RN-ZS
DH-IPC-HDBW13A0SN
DH-IPC-HDW13A0SN
DH-IPC-HFW13A0SN-W
DH-IPC-HDBW13A0SN
DH-IPC-HDW13A0SN
DH-IPC-HFW13A0SN-W
DHI-HCVR51A04HE-S3
DHI-HCVR51A08HE-S3
DHI-HCVR58A32S-S2

I will keep my eye on it and update all the news to you guys. My suggestion is to change your currently cameras' NVRs' password ASAP, please don't use default password for your cams anymore.

Andy

upload_2017-3-14_15-50-34.png