Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I've got two turrents mounted right out in the open, been through plenty of rain storms, have not noticed any issues with clarity on the lenses, I think water just runs right off.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I could aim it up a bit and use the zoom, but I set mine up high in the eve so the camera actually can't be seen from the street. For aesthetic reasons, I wanted to hide it, but it works with what I'm trying to see anyway, which is just my driveway.
It would work better with IR if you rotated it 180 degrees and mounted it 3-4" lower. Less IR reflection.

Don't just test a still image, go walk around and see how blurry your face is without ir.

2.8mm is to wide if you want useful detail

Last edited:

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
It would work better with IR if you rotated it 180 degrees and mounted it 3-4" lower. Less IR reflection.

Don't just test a still image, go walk around and see how blurry your face is without ir.

Unless it's right over a doorway :)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

davw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
is this the expected quality? I have it set to email me when Alarm Event: Intrusion

eatmorfood

n3wb
Reaction score
@eatmorfood disable PTZ functionality within BlueIris; nothing on the camera its self is capable of moving the zoom level automatically..
What is strange is that I can completely disable the camera in BI, go to the web interface of the camera and I cannot zoom back in until sometime the next morning, that is why i am thinking it has to be coming from the camera. The second of these cameras, I can zoom in and out from the cameras interface and BI whenever I want. I think I am either going to have to try resetting the camera back to factory or swap the two cameras since I only use the zoom on one of them.

Last edited:

JSec

n3wb
Reaction score
What is strange is that I can completely disable the camera in BI, go to the web interface of the camera and I cannot zoom back in until sometime the next morning, that is why i am thinking it has to be coming from the camera. The second of these cameras, I can zoom in and out from the cameras interface and BI whenever I want. I think I am either going to have to try resetting the camera back to factory or swap the two cameras since I only use the zoom on one of them.
Just a thought - you don't have that camera scheduled to automatically reboot either in the cam or in BI do you?

eatmorfood

n3wb
Reaction score
Just a thought - you don't have that camera scheduled to automatically reboot either in the cam or in BI do you?
The auto reboot is disabled on both cameras. the only place i see in BI that would trigger a camera reboot is in the watchdog tab and those options are not enabled either. thanks!

Nick T

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Good point on the IR. I'll do that, even though I am going to switch this camera out.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Updated all the tracking for the HDW5231R-Z for the orders in March and April. Still has little left, we will process on Sunday/Monday.
Put 20pcs on the shop Empire.
Then the left ones for paypal users and the orders still not shipped.
The next stock will be around May.20th.
Andy

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Updated all the tracking for the HDW5231R-Z for the orders in March and April. Still has little left, we will process on Sunday/Monday.
Put 20pcs on the shop Empire.
Then the left ones for paypal users and the orders still not shipped.
The next stock will be around May.20th.
Andy
Already sold out or not put on store yet? Can't find 'em.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed that motion detection at night with IR on is significantly reduced as compared to during daylight? I was fiddling with motion settings tonight and I had the sensitivity turned up to 100 and the threshold down to 2 and I was still not getting indicated motion alarms in the test page. I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong or missing something.

And before anyone asks, I'm having to use Motion Detection instead of IVS because I cannot find a way to get IVS to trip my QNAP NAS to do an alarm recording. It only supports motion detection as far as I can tell.
Did you try walking around to see if that has better results than the test function?

Nick T

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Did you try walking around to see if that has better results than the test function?
I had my wife walking around in the yard as I watched the meter on my laptop. I did notice that having motion lights and such kick on creates a significant detection spike. I guess if anything that will help trigger the alarm recording.

program2

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
How do you know if your cameras ship? I ordered last week after receiving assurance there were plenty to fulfill the waitlist and get my cameras out. However, I've still not yet received a tracking number. I get the "be patient" sentiment and all, but I've already laid out nearly $1,000 and wouldn't have given someone a short-term loan had I know they weren't going to ship for a month.

HalfMoon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How do you know if your cameras ship? I ordered last week after receiving assurance there were plenty to fulfill the waitlist and get my cameras out. However, I've still not yet received a tracking number. I get the "be patient" sentiment and all, but I've already laid out nearly $1,000 and wouldn't have given someone a short-term loan had I know they weren't going to ship for a month.
I would contact the seller via email and ask. There's not too much point in posting about it publicly, unless there is some thread where the seller (Andy?) updates tracking numbers instead of email.

I've laid out about the same amount for my first small batch of cameras to test and I don't have a tracking number yet either, but remember.... Monday was a holiday for many countries and I know Andy has been busy working late nights in his timezone replying to people and getting orders ready catching up. It also doesn't help that this camera is extremely popular and with the prices, they are hard to keep in stock.

Hopefully for both of us these are worth the wait.. From the images and reviews I think we will be happy.

program2

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I wrote the seller 36 hours ago and hadn't heard back so was hoping someone here had been through the process and knew if a tracking number was provided or not. Agree my post was of limited utility, but worth a shot for some peace of mind.

Kitsap

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I wrote the seller 36 hours ago and hadn't heard back so was hoping someone here had been through the process and knew if a tracking number was provided or not. Agree my post was of limited utility, but worth a shot for some peace of mind.
Yes I have been through the process with @EMPIRETECANDY . I paid via PayPal and received a DHL tracking number from PayPal. There was quite a bit of time between payment and shipment because he was waiting on the junction box mounts so they could all be in one shipment.