Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Catching back up on this thread. very active. @nayr, nice car upgrade & exciting times.

I assume that some of you use this camera indoors? how do you like it? can you share some mounting pictures? I am considering it for an office environment (9ft high) for looking at the hallway doors vs the two dome versions HDBW5231R-Z and E-Z. I like the slightly better stealthiness of the domes, but like the freedom to use them outside if i move them of the turret. I will likely place them in corridor orientation at maximum zoom that the hallway allows, so that i can maximize their value in view.

Sirty

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Still waiting for mine but not concerned. Only concern is with the wife! She's a little concerned about Ethernet wires hanging from all the eves!! Hahaha! At least the hard part is done for me. (Still need to build a reasonable BI server. Just testing from my gaming rig at the moment.)
Yeh, I'm going to have to figure out how to run the wires myself once I decide on a location to mount them. I'm hoping the eaves work out, because it would be easy to run the wires through the soffits.

fvdwerdt

n3wb
Reaction score
******For the guys from EU, as we talked before better choose free tax way, please mention this when you make the order, or else will process via DHL.
DHL crazy tax~
Can save a 17%+ money.

Andy
This is a great service from Andy, takes a while longer to arrive but really no import taxes to be paid to the crazy tax maffia in EU. Saves a lot of money, works very good.

Last edited:

memaybe

n3wb
Reaction score
******For the guys from EU, as we talked before better choose free tax way, please mention this when you make the order, or else will process via DHL.
DHL crazy tax~
Can save a 17%+ money.

Andy
I wasnt aware of this Andy, have dropped you an email with order number to enquire.

vexter0944

n3wb
Reaction score
Super excited - got DHL notification - 3 of them on the way.

A couple of questions:
1. Do these come with mounts? If not - which one(s) do I need?
2. Any suggestion size and or brand/speed/class for micro sd cards?

TheSuperServer

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Super excited - got DHL notification - 3 of them on the way.

A couple of questions:
1. Do these come with mounts? If not - which one(s) do I need?
2. Any suggestion size and or brand/speed/class for micro sd cards?

The cam is attached to a basic mount and it can be angled up/down/left/right

If you need it to be mounted differently look here at the accessory selection. Personally I use the PFB203W

http://www1.dahuasecurity.com/download/Accessory_Selection201705052.pdf

For micro sd card you'll want a good brand such as Samsung or Sandisk 128gb is the max size. Class U1 or U3

vexter0944

n3wb
Reaction score

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Finally received 2, 5231R's after months of fooling around with different sources, unavailable cameras, and credit cards. finally ended up using PayPal, so now I hope they are going to work with my system.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
I wasnt aware of this Andy, have dropped you an email with order number to enquire.
A guy from Germany bought a camera 170usd, paid 65USD tax, you know this is totally crazy. Most country has such service in EU. A special way for you guys.
Seems 50% parcels all delivered now, HK to USA 2 days. Monday will process all the orders, so till then no waiting orders anymore, i feel better and then have enough time to process the warranty and bug issues.
Next stock will be 2 weeks later. Thanks for attentions.

Andy

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A guy from Germany bought a camera 170usd, paid 65USD tax, you know this is totally crazy. Most country has such service in EU. A special way for you guys.
Seems 50% parcels all delivered now, HK to USA 2 days. Monday will process all the orders, so till then no waiting orders anymore, i feel better and then have enough time to process the warranty and bug issues.
Next stock will be 2 weeks later. Thanks for attentions.

Andy
I can confirm this. DHL is the worst you could choose to the EU. Yes, they are reliable, but they are also bloodsuckers. For a 170USD cam it will look like this:
You have to pay 4,8% customs on the cam price, then you have to pay 19% tax on the whole amount and then DHL takes 1% or at least 10EUR handling fee + tax. So at least they always take 11,90EUR for each delivery.
Got my NVR from Andy the tax saving way and saved a lot, because for NVR is 12,2% customs here.

eatmorfood

n3wb
Reaction score
What is strange is that I can completely disable the camera in BI, go to the web interface of the camera and I cannot zoom back in until sometime the next morning, that is why i am thinking it has to be coming from the camera. The second of these cameras, I can zoom in and out from the cameras interface and BI whenever I want. I think I am either going to have to try resetting the camera back to factory or swap the two cameras since I only use the zoom on one of them.
I have decided that this camera is just possessed.
In addition to just deciding to zoom out between 7:50pm to 8pm every day, it is now constantly focusing.
I can now also zoom back in after it zooms out (which I could not do before until after some time the next morning)
But as you can see, it just zooms back out by itself.
I still havent tried resetting it back to factory.
and i was just gonna switch the two cameras but if it's gonna keep refocusing, that will be an issue.

Lonster

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't know whether I should be happy or mad. On January 11th I ordered a 5231R-Z from seller Sincerity Trade on AliExpress. They sent me a message stating they didn't have any in stock, so I replied that I was cancelling the order. I tried to cancel but it wouldn't let me, the seller marked the item shipped even though he didn't ship. I sent a message telling him I couldn't cancel and he needed to give me a refund. I never checked my statement to see if he did (I know, stupid of me).

A 5231R appeared on my door step 5 days ago. I sent a message asking why he would ship something (3?) months later, after order was to be cancelled. He replied - "I query the logistics information A few days ago, you had received the goods"

I guess I'm stuck with it.

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@Lonster - that seems to be a common thing with Aliexpress. Promises of fast shipping but then no stock. From what I've seen Empire Tech seem to do their best to only list items they have in stock.

I got caught out recently with some Hikvision cams and ended up settling for a different lens length just to get the order finalised- otherwise I'd still be waiting. I also had the false tracking number pulled with that deal.

You should be able to resell your 5231R-Z on here - particularly if Andy (Empire Tech) and other stores don't have stock.

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Does anyone know if this foam piece inside this 5231 should be further towards the glass? As it stands one of the two that I've received so far has to be taken apart for dirty lens on the inside so if the foam isn't in the right place I can put it in the right place while I'm in there.20170506_092009.jpg

DarkHelmet

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Its nearly fully zoomed out. At the [80] level on the 'zoom and focus' page

trying it now on a tighter zoom (300)
How do I see what the proper mm level is?
Zoom level is fine, was just curious. Thanks.