Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@EMPIRETECANDY are these NTSC? The description on your site says pal.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks Halfmoon. The model numbers get a little confusing I thought "Ipc-HW5231R-Z" was NTSC version and "Ipc-HW5231RP-Z" was the PAL version.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
its worth every dollar of $170, as soon as I can get my hands on the bullet version of this with external audio and alarm IO I have 2 4MP Dahuas that will be replaced after only a few months. :D
What is the model number of the bullet version?

DarkHelmet

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In regards to the Starlight and using a POE NVR...
This is a good case to not use a POE NVR. Get a standard NVR, separate switch, and separate POE injector. Might be a bit more money up front, but it makes accessing the cams directly much easier AND if any part goes bad, you only have to replace that bit, not the whole NVR. Three different devices isn't ideal for everyone, but something to think about.

namtrab

n3wb
Reaction score
This is a good case to not use a POE NVR. Get a standard NVR, separate switch, and separate POE injector. Might be a bit more money up front, but it makes accessing the cams directly much easier AND if any part goes bad, you only have to replace that bit, not the whole NVR. Three different devices isn't ideal for everyone, but something to think about.
Thank you. I was just reading up about this (again...a couple years has passed since I first started looking into this). That's probably the route I'll go...non-POE NVR and a POE switch. I want access to the cam web interface, but I don't want to jump through hoops of connecting ethernet, changing ip/subnet, yada yada. I just want immediate access.

namtrab

n3wb
Reaction score
Care to recommend a switch for this? I would "prefer" 8 port with 2 ethernet uplink ports (not SFP for the uplink). I'm doing some searching, but thought you might already have a recommendation. :)

Of course, I guess I could simply go with a 16 port, and have some 'extra' ports on the switch for other uses. :)

DarkHelmet

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Care to recommend a switch for this? I would "prefer" 8 port with 2 ethernet uplink ports (not SFP for the uplink). I'm doing some searching, but thought you might already have a recommendation. :)

Of course, I guess I could simply go with a 16 port, and have some 'extra' ports on the switch for other uses. :)
either of the above would work -^ I have a 24 port non-poe with injector, so dont have my own recommendation for a poe switch...Just consider that you may one day want more cameras, so think carefully before going with only 8 ports. This is what I bought: Amazon.com: Cisco SF300-24 24-Port 10/100 Managed Switch with Gigabit Uplinks (SRW224G4-K9-NA): Electronics

mordak

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is Dahua NVR 5216 the recommended one to go with 3 of these cameras?

Will this NVR allow me to view the cameras on PC Internet Explorer or do I need a switch for that?

Or what's another good NVR with PoE?

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Or what's another good NVR with PoE?
Maybe oversized for three cams, but well prepared for future constellations
There are also the NVR4xxx models. They are also available with PoE. Depends on your needs. If you guess one HDD is enough you could go with a NVR41xx-4KS2. But of course you'll have to look for yourself which one fits best for you. I would always recommend the -4KS2 models because of their capability for H.265 and 4K support if needed.
1HDD Models with PoE
NVR4104-P-4KS2: 4 channel, 4 PoE
NVR4108-P-4KS2: 8 channel, 4 PoE
NVR4108-8P-4KS2: 8 channel, 8 PoE
NVR4116-8P-4KS2: 16 channel, 8 PoE

2HDD models with PoE
NVR42xx
NVR52xx etc.
I don't want to list every model. As you can see you, the naming of the model gives your every info needed for initial choice, then you can look after the details.
NVR4xxx number is type of class, 6,7 are Ultra, 5 Pro, 4,2 are Lite
NVRx1xx number is amount of HDD
NVRxx16 number is amount of channels
-P is four port of PoE, -8P is eight ports of PoE and -16P is sixteen ports of PoE

mordak

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Maybe oversized for three cams, but well prepared for future constellations
There are also the NVR4xxx models. They are also available with PoE. Depends on your needs. If you guess one HDD is enough you could go with a NVR41xx-4KS2. But of course you'll have to look for yourself which one fits best for you. I would always recommend the -4KS2 models because of their capability for H.265 and 4K support if needed.
1HDD Models with PoE
NVR4104-P-4KS2: 4 channel, 4 PoE
NVR4108-P-4KS2: 8 channel, 4 PoE
NVR4108-8P-4KS2: 8 channel, 8 PoE
NVR4116-8P-4KS2: 16 channel, 8 PoE

2HDD models with PoE
NVR42xx
NVR52xx etc.
I don't want to list every model. As you can see you, the naming of the model gives your every info needed for initial choice, then you can look after the details.
NVR4xxx number is type of class, 6,7 are Ultra, 5 Pro, 4,2 are Lite
NVRx1xx number is amount of HDD
NVRxx16 number is amount of channels
-P is four port of PoE, -8P is eight ports of PoE and -16P is sixteen ports of PoE
Thank you! Will the NVR41xx models still give me all of the same cameras features that the NVR52xx would give me?

I really only need 4-8 channels.

Will these NVR's allow me to view the cameras on PC desktop internet explorer? Or is a switch required for that?

Last edited:

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thank you! Will the NVR41xx models still give me all of the same cameras features that the NVR52xx would give me?

I don't know any limitations. Just compare the tech sheets. The NVR4xxxx series support "only" 80Mbps incoming bandwidth. if you use 8 channels you'll still have 10Mbps per cam. I took the 5232 because I wanted two HDDs for so much cams, and of course the incoming bandwidth with 320Mbps, so I have enough spare if I use all 32 channels. But actually with H.265 I don't have more then 6Mbps per cam, because I use only 1080p.

MrRalphMan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Unless your buying it for a specific business requirement go with a size up. I bought an eight Chanel NVR and already I have plans in my head which exceed this.
Once you have them set up for the first time, you'll see opportunities for more cameras. :)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Will these NVR's allow me to view the cameras on PC desktop internet explorer? Or is a switch required for that?
You can manage the NVR via WebUI and also see the cameras and do some configurations. For full/direct access to the cam you'll need to plug a node (pc, laptop, other switch) to one of the NVR PoE Ports because its another subnet and not routed through the NVR.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you plan on using Motion Detection or IVS with your cameras, definitely read up on the threads about how the Dahua NVRs handle this. The NVR makes separate recordings for these clips (which isn't a bad thing), but the way it currently does this, many people are seeing 1-2 seconds of skipped (or black) video/audio at the beginning of these clips.

Because of this, I've recently setup a PC running Blue Iris as a second NVR and it's working great. While Andy has been working with Dahua support regarding the issue above, there's been no progress, and at this point I wish I had never gone with the Dahua NVR.

You can manage the NVR (including viewing the cameras) from your PC by connecting via the NVR's web interface with IE. Or you can download a free program from Dahua called SmartPSS... that'll connect to your NVR and also let you manage it/view camera video.

If you get a NVR with POE built in, the NVR will create a separate network for your IP cameras. This can make it tricky to connect directly from your PC directly to the camera. You probably won't have a need to do that often once they're setup, but you'll probably need to do it frequently while you're getting things configured and tweaked properly.

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you plan on using Motion Detection or IVS with your cameras, definitely read up on the threads about how the Dahua NVRs handle this. The NVR makes separate recordings for these clips (which isn't a bad thing), but the way it currently does this, many people are seeing 1-2 seconds of skipped (or black) video/audio at the beginning of these clips.

Because of this, I've recently setup a PC running Blue Iris as a second NVR and it's working great. While Andy has been working with Dahua support regarding the issue above, there's been no progress, and at this point I wish I had never gone with the Dahua NVR.
@aristobrat maybe I found a workaround to this. I'm still using the firmware from 2016-07 and tried to make the NVR not to do a second clip if an IVS event occurs. You remembered me to have a look at my footage to see if it works.
And what's to say else then "It seems to work" :)
I'll check my footage and post it in the correct thread...

mordak

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

You can manage the NVR (including viewing the cameras) from your PC by connecting via the NVR's web interface with IE. Or you can download a free program from Dahua called SmartPSS... that'll connect to your NVR and also let you manage it/view camera video.

If you get a NVR with POE built in, the NVR will create a separate network for your IP cameras. This can make it tricky to connect directly from your PC directly to the camera. You probably won't have a need to do that often once they're setup, but you'll probably need to do it frequently while you're getting things configured and tweaked properly.
I don't care about motion recording...I want to record 24/7, then just review the footage if something happens.

Would the NVR4108-8P-4KS2 fit my needs then? It's got 8 channel POE, and I only plan to have 3-5 cameras.

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yep. it does. but i recommend you to take the NVR4116-8P-4KS2 because it will cost nearly the same... around 10USD, and you'll have the possibility to have 8+ channels later. You save a lot money going with the 4116 instead of the 5216, so don't mind the extra 10USD for 16 channels ;)