Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The active cam power use is dynamic by function including variables such as boot, zoom, focus, SD card, IR... etc. The only time I witnessed max power use was during the cameras first boot. The following are a couple of power reading snapshots. They vary by hundreds of milliwatts during normal use for instance 2.2w <> 3.0w / 4.2w <> 5.0w which I imagine is mainly IVS load on the CPU.

IR off
IR On
Thanks!
That is lower than I expected given the "max <8.5 W" on the specs.
How do you measure thius? Is this a software or built into your router \ switch or something like that?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The area I want to monitor is taller and more narrow. The camera on its side is a perfect compromise, but the resulting image is much smaller.
I've seen that called "corridor mode", and it's popular on front doors around here. I use it on one of my cameras, but I have the camera web UI set to rotate the image so that by the time it gets to BI, it's normal. BI doesn't have to do anything with it.

On the main BI view screen (where it shows all of the cameras), it makes the vertical height of this camera match the camera displayed next to it, which makes the rotated camera image look small. It's the Gate (Cam5) in the bottom right of the picture below.

Screen Shot 2017-06-16 at 10.58.40 PM.png

But if I double-click on the camera, BI then shows it in full-screen, and it's the full 1080x1920 resolution. All of my recordings and snapshots from it are also the full 1080x1920 resolution too.

Screen Shot 2017-06-16 at 11.04.07 PM.png

xips

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks!
That is lower than I expected given the "max <8.5 W" on the specs.
How do you measure thius? Is this a software or built into your router \ switch or something like that?
I did see max power load on camera's first boot, haven't seen it since.

I use a Hewlett Packard PoE managed switch which is built like a tank with a lifetime warranty and lots of bells and whistles for the gotta be in control geek in me.

Mel Patto

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Shutter Priority.JPG Custom Range.JPG
Trying to get better facial recognition and from all my reading I think I should set a minimum shutter speed but do not understand how.
Do I use Manual Mode , Shutter Priority or Custom Range. Also how does 33.33 relate to shutter speed.

TheDwarf

n3wb
Reaction score
Looking for some advice. I got a couple of these cameras with the pfb203w mount. My house was being built so I had the builder run Ethernet for me. Well at the front of the house they installed one of those blue electrical boxes in the brick and covered it with a blank face plate.
I was hoping just to have a small hole that i would put the mount in front of.
Any ideas on how i should mount this thing now?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Looking for some advice. I got a couple of these cameras with the pfb203w mount. My house was being built so I had the builder run Ethernet for me. Well at the front of the house they installed one of those blue electrical boxes in the brick and covered it with a blank face plate.
I was hoping just to have a small hole that i would put the mount in front of.
Any ideas on how i should mount this thing now?
They did it properly, you can use any white plastic that is slightly larger than the box to cover it..you may not even need the mount depending on the angle you need...

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
They did it properly, you can use any white plastic that is slightly larger than the box to cover it..you may not even need the mount depending on the angle you need...
Maybe you could use the PFA137 instead, if the angle is ok for that like fenderman mentioned.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
HD, I've had good luck with these for $11.99 on Amazon. They are IP65 outdoor rated, 12V with 4 LED's with 130 feet of range. Included pic is 52 feet away and helping an HDBW5231R-Z. Also, they have a photocell so they only turn on when necessary.

Amazon.com : JC 4pcs High Power LED IR Array Illuminator IR Lamp Wide Angle for Night Vision CCTV and IP Camera : Camera & Photo

We needed more light in the corner by the man door and overhead door. It looked like the center of the picture before adding the IR cannon.

SD

View attachment 18203
How are you powering this? I would like to buy one but I need one Ethernet cable to power this and my 5231 camera. I tried looking around for splitters to give power to this AND the camera, but it seems like all the splitters just split the power and data so that the Ethernet cable no longer has power.

Any suggestions?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Silvergate

n3wb
Reaction score
New member here. I am interested in this camera. We use NTSC in our country. Is this camera both NTSC/PAL/ I mean can i change the setting in the firmware?

HalfMoon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How are you powering this? I would like to buy one but I need one Ethernet cable to power this and my 5231 camera. I tried looking around for splitters to give power to this AND the camera, but it seems like all the splitters just split the power and data so that the Ethernet cable no longer has power.

Any suggestions?
You could use a POE splitter like you mention to break the power out of the Ethernet cable, then use a Y connector for the 5.5x2.1MM power connectors:

Amazon.com: Eleidgs 3 pcs 1 to 2 DC Power Cable 5.5x2.1mm 1 DC Female to 2 male Plug for LED Strip Lights CCTV Camera: Home Audio & Theater

Assuming that you can power both the camera and the light with the one port, which I think you can with that small light... just test it first.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You could use a POE splitter like you mention to break the power out of the Ethernet cable, then use a Y connector for the 5.5x2.1MM power connectors:

Amazon.com: Eleidgs 3 pcs 1 to 2 DC Power Cable 5.5x2.1mm 1 DC Female to 2 male Plug for LED Strip Lights CCTV Camera: Home Audio & Theater

Assuming that you can power both the camera and the light with the one port, which I think you can with that small light... just test it first.
Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for. I ordered this and the light and a splitter.

l4cky

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi.

Can you tell me what are those 4 items for?

Also how do we install them? Do they go inside the ceiling, between the cables?

In what order are those 4 items to be connected?

thank you

Attachments

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi.

thank you
To weather proof the cable connection to the camera. There is a thread here somewhere explaining how it goes together.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi.

thank you
Here's a quick visual that someone posted:

Note that it all has to go on before you crimp the RJ-45 connector onto the end of the cable!

essjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Any chance of maybe getting the first post updated with some user settings (both day & night)? I wouldn't mind trying a few.....

Also how do you guys trigger night/day on these apart from the schedule? My outdoor LED's are too bright and the camera doesn't switch into black/white automatically.

What shutter speed do you guys set it to for night?

Last edited: