Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

uragano23

n3wb
Reaction score
What is the difference between this and this model: IPC-HDBW5231RP-Z?
i received it from Andy as my first Dahua cam but in reality i was thinking i bought the one in this review the ipc-hdw5231r-z. Probably i don't see the small difference in the product code...

I have to place it outside in the wall of my house and i bought also the support pfa137.

Let me know thanks

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Spec wise, it's probably the same as the turrets, just in a dome form.

Domes don't get a lot of love around here for outdoor use. You have to take the dome off to point it... If you get any smudges on the dome (dirt, fingerprints, dried rain drops, etc), they can reflect the IR back into the camera lens, which can wash out the picture... Spiders seem to love to build webs over domes, too...

All-in-all, it should do OK, just may require more maintenance to keep it working well.

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
i received it from Andy as my first Dahua cam but in reality i was thinking i bought the one in this review the ipc-hdw5231r-z. Probably i don't see the small difference in the product code...

I have to place it outside in the wall of my house and i bought also the support pfa137.

Let me know thanks
Also, the HDBW has no internal mic, but an external one can be added. Have one in service inside a pole barn, so UV isn't an issue. They make sure the IR illuminators are pressed up against the dome with rubber isolators so no IR is reflected back to the lens.

Barn 4 LED Illuminator.jpg

There's a shot of it in action in total darkness. Added a $12 - 4 LED IR canon for the left side of the FOV. We couldn't see the doors on the left edge with the IR centered on the snowmobile frame/computer monitor. The external mic made this a snap as we just split the cam/mic/IR 12v power 3 ways to add the IR canon.

SD

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
View attachment 19583

There's a shot of it in action in total darkness. Added a $12 - 4 LED IR canon for the left side of the FOV. We couldn't see the doors on the left edge with the IR centered on the snowmobile frame/computer monitor. The external mic made this a snap as we just split the cam/mic/IR 12v power 3 ways to add the IR canon.

SD
I just purchased the same illuminator from your recommendation last week to brighten the edge of one of my cameras. Haven't installed it yet though.

baggins

n3wb
Reaction score
What are you trying to do? I access SmartPSS via Wine on Linux.

I can do anything except view live feeds and configure IVS events in Firefox on Linux.
OK, I've installed SmartPSS via wine. It runs and detects my camera, but it is shown as being 'Offline'.
Since I can access the camera with the web interface in Chrome and have a substream displayed in my domotics visualisation, I'm pretty sure it is not 'Offline'. I've disabled the firewall to eliminate any port issues, but it remains 'Offline' in SmartPSS.
Is there any setting I need to change?

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Other than making sure you have all the credentials correct (username, pw, port number ect) im not sure.

baggins

n3wb
Reaction score
Other than making sure you have all the credentials correct (username, pw, port number ect) im not sure.
Hm, I forgot to set the password...
Now it is 'Online' but the Liveview is blank...

In the mean time, I was so foolish to enable https access and now I can't access the substream anymore.
I tried to revert the https setting but it doesn't let me!

jhoward56

n3wb
Reaction score
If I put it on the brick, then I have to flip the image 90 degrees, and the camera gives me an incredibly huge fisheye view

Look at the door, why does it look curved like that? Also everything looked stretched sideways

Does everybody's camera get super stretched if they flip 90 or 270 degrees? Only 0 or 180 degrees looks normal.

I think you can change the viewing window to be proportional - not fit to screen. It won't take up the full area though unless you rotate your monitor.

Edit: Sorry - didn't realize I was replying to an older post... new to the forums!

LandofTomorrow

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Let me know thanks
As i remember..
HDBW: Dome
P-Z: Pal version but shouldnt matter... All mine were pal versions and i havent changed them.
See here: Template:NameConvention - Dahua Wiki

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What is the latest firmware version for the IPC-HDW5231R-Z camera? I installed from the disk and i have Ver. 1.13.1 ,(SmartPSS). I don't see any links in the SW for updates either?

redfive

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Look on dahua website, select your camera, download, firmware ...
Cheers

bmac6996

n3wb
Reaction score
Just got the camera and first impressions that its really nice.. gotta check out night time though.

question : is there a way to factory default it? i saw the "default button" and it said it reset the settings but didn't default network settings to 192.168.1.108 (factory) and it didn't' reboot (which i found odd cause usually most devices that you factory reset, would at least reboot).

TIA

mr_guns

n3wb
Reaction score
Just got the camera and first impressions that its really nice.. gotta check out night time though.

question : is there a way to factory default it? i saw the "default button" and it said it reset the settings but didn't default network settings to 192.168.1.108 (factory) and it didn't' reboot (which i found odd cause usually most devices that you factory reset, would at least reboot).

TIA
If you have power and hold the switch for 10 seconds it should work. Worked for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

jhoward56

n3wb
Reaction score
I been trying different settings to get the mailbox which is in the upper right corner to be more visible at nighttime but I am not having much luck. Tonight there was a full moon out and when I disable the IR completely, the mailbox is visible however it is grainy.

SmartIR enabled
View attachment 19092

IR disabled - Now the mailbox is visible however the porch area is dark
View attachment 19093

IR on Manual set at 1 - I am trying to see if I could balance it out but with IR set at 2 then it get too bright and the mailbox disappear from view.
View attachment 19094

I welcome any suggestion or feedback on this. I am hoping to balance both porch and mailbox in view.
On the first picture, I had a similar situation, and increasing the gamma worked perfectly.

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
all that is is windows defender blocking the app...disable defender it should give you an option to run anyway, if not disable defender when running.
OK I got around Defender, but the install will not work because it says that the old version is "running". It must be running in the background and it will not uninstall for the same reason. I have searched the settings in the program and I don't see how to shut it down. Also checked the control panel and there does not seem to be any method there either. Any Ideas?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
OK I got around
Defender, but the install will not work because it says that the old version is "running". It must be running in the background and it will not uninstall for the same reason. I have searched the settings in the program and I don't see how to shut it down. Also checked the control panel and there does not seem to be any method there either. Any Ideas?
Launch Task Manager. Search for that program in the list. Right click on it. Click end task.