Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks @giomania, that is really helpful info all in one place! Some of the stuff like whether to buy NVR with built in POE or not and NVRs not including hard drives I found recently from trawling through here but the other stuff is really useful to know. IVS sounds great in theory and I had earmarked it as something to look more closely at with respect to the Dahua cameras and NVRs and I'm not entirely surprised it has some issues. I'll be keeping your notes handy so that when I get to the stage of setting it all up, I can revisit but to be honest, 1-2 seconds of skipped video is not too bad and I suppose any trip wire line or zone could be put an additional 1-2 seconds away to provision for the issue...probably wouldn't work in all cases but something to try out maybe.
I agree about the 1-2 second video; the key is to just reported the facts as posted in the thread. Some may think it is a non-starter, while some think it is not a big deal. As long as you have the information, you can make your own decision.

For me, I'm thinking to go with Blue Iris because I already have an older PC with Intel Graphics that can utilize direct to disk, and that will work for my two cameras (more to come later), so it is just ~$45 for the software to experiment.

Mark

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
These days some guys use the Chinese models flash to HDW5231R-Z and HDBW5231R-Z, please be careful before buying. Cheaper but headache if dahua forbid those Chinese models using in the future(Firmware can't be updated, what we sold all can be updated anytime). I will put a cheaper and slow way link on the shop. Then some clients can save some money, but delivering time really hard to control. IPC-HDW5231R-ZE i booked some, i think still need 1.5 month to get the stock.
The HDW5231R-ZE looks good. Would be more nice with a white cover, but I assume the IR LEDs are covered behind and it's half transparent and not possible to get a half transparent white plastic without a look behind.
5x zoom instead of 4x is also nice

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I agree about the 1-2 second video; the key is to just reported the facts as posted in the thread. Some may think it is a non-starter, while some think it is not a big deal. As long as you have the information, you can make your own decision.

For me, I'm thinking to go with Blue Iris because I already have an older PC with Intel Graphics that can utilize direct to disk, and that will work for my two cameras (more to come later), so it is just ~$45 for the software to experiment.

Mark
Well, giomania wrote the most things in one monster post
With actual firmware on the NVR I don't have any gap with IVS events, so this shouldn't be a problem for future plans.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well, giomania wrote the most things in one monster post
With actual firmware on the NVR I don't have any gap with IVS events, so this shouldn't be a problem for future plans.
So this was fixed with NVR firmware? Which version are your on? If so, I need to update my notes to self to avoid posting outdated information. :facepalm:

Mark

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So this was fixed with NVR firmware? Which version are your on? If so, I need to update my notes to self to avoid posting outdated information. :facepalm:

Mark
I'm using this one. But seems you can't downgrade after updating to this one. I think it's because they added certificates to the firmware and the older one hasn't one. So the new firmware doesn't accept an older one without certificate for "upgrading".
I'm almost happy with the new firmware, except the problem that i can't control multiple PTZ through apps like *DMSS or SmartPSS

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm using this one. But seems you can't downgrade after updating to this one. I think it's because they added certificates to the firmware and the older one hasn't one. So the new firmware doesn't accept an older one without certificate for "upgrading".
I'm almost happy with the new firmware, except the problem that i can't control multiple PTZ through apps like *DMSS or SmartPSS
Which one? Also, in your signature, I don't see the IPC-HDW5231R-Z camera. If it is true that you don't have one in your "collection" ;), what are the odds that the IVS issues are isolated to the IPC-HDW5231R-Z?

Mark

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Which one? Also, in your signature, I don't see the IPC-HDW5231R-Z camera. If it is true that you don't have one in your "collection" ;), what are the odds that the IVS issues are isolated to the IPC-HDW5231R-Z?

Mark
Was just a typo error, thx for the hint. I've got 5 of the 5231R-Z, just corrected my signature.
But the HDW5231R-Z is no PTZ. The SDxxx in my signature are PTZ. I also have some older, cheaper cams (another brand) which worked with onvif as well until firmware upgrade. Now only the PTZ which was seen first by the NVR could be controlled through SmartPSS or iDMSS. OSD and WebUI still works fine for the PTZ.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Would you please clarify which Dahua NVR firmware version are you using that corrected the 1-2 second blank audio/video issue with IVS events?

Thanks.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Would you please clarify which Dahua NVR firmware version are you using that corrected the 1-2 second blank audio/video issue with IVS events?

Thanks.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey Mark, i'm sorry. I thought I linked the firmware in the post. Just forgot it cuz it's late and was typing that while was watching a movie with subtitles and had to look on the iPad and tv

Just have a look in this thread I opened about the new firmware.
Just check this thread

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey Mark, i'm sorry. I thought I linked the firmware in the post. Just forgot it cuz it's late and was typing that while was watching a movie with subtitles and had to look on the iPad and tv

Just have a look in this thread I opened about the new firmware.
Thanks. I updated my post on the previous page, noting that the IVS dropped frames issues has been solved. Thinking about a Dahua NVR now...

freddyq

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sounds good! Are the Dahua NVRs shipping with this new version of firmware or will it need to be installed manually? I haven't yet ordered one and would be good if it comes with the new firmware installed.

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks. I updated my post on the previous page, noting that the IVS dropped frames issues has been solved. Thinking about a Dahua NVR now...
Even if not, it's no big deal to update 'em. Just upload the new firmware via WebUI, wait for the NVR to reboot, then do a factory reset... if you want you could backup your settings before and load it into the NVR after factory reset. but if you flash a brand new delivered NVR you won't have to keep anything ;)

freddyq

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
but if you flash a brand new delivered NVR you won't have to keep anything ;)
Yea exactly what I was thinking. I was just wary because I've seen posts on here about the risk of bricking the cams if you attempt a firmware update but I suppose the NVR is different. Have made a note to check NVR firmware version when I get mine :)

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yea exactly what I was thinking. I was just wary because I've seen posts on here about the risk of bricking the cams if you attempt a firmware update but I suppose the NVR is different. Have made a note to check NVR firmware version when I get mine :)
This thread was posted here at some point: Dahua Camera Best Practices

The basic gist of that post is that cameras infected with malware can cause issues when attempting firmware updates, so connect the camera directly to your PC and disable the internet connection before applying updates. For installed cameras where direct connection to your PC is not possible, disable your home internet service while updating. If you have issues accessing the camera web GUI, but it responds to pings, malware is probably blocking connection attempts.

While it may be considered an extreme view, I suppose it is always better to be safe than sorry. And since I am assuming the NVR runs a similar OS as the cameras, if you were going to adhere to the advice for the cameras, you may as well for the NVR. For me, it is easy when first setting these items up on to connect to my PC and disable the internet, so I did just that, changed the password, IP address, updated the firmware, and then installed the cameras. Still haven't finished setting them up fully. :embarrassed:

Mark

M1CHA3L

n3wb
Reaction score
I like this camera but i want another cam with more MP (detail), the low light function is not so important
What is a good dahua cam compared with this camera but with more detail?

mordak

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm isolated my camera's problem and figured out how to reproduce it.
If I have Motion Detection turned on, when motion is detected, the camera starts to flash white every 1-2 seconds and will continue until the camera is rebooted, or I turn off motion detection. I've produced the same result on 3 cameras so far.

I really want motion detection though, how am I supposed to set it up? Also do I set it up on the NVR, or the Camera? Because they both have configurations.

NVR SETTINGS:

Last edited:

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If I have Motion Detection turned on, when motion is detected, the camera starts to flash white every 1-2 seconds and will continue until the camera is rebooted, or I turn off motion detection. I've produced the same result on 3 cameras so far.

I really want motion detection though, how am I supposed to set it up? Also do I set it up on the NVR, or the Camera? Because they both have configurations.

NVR SETTINGS:

I find that making any settings through the camera interface and then simply rebooting the NVR is the best way to apply settings that actually work.

DarkHelmet

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've heard it recommended before to ditch motion detection and use tripwires/intrusion zones instead.

kiwibird

n3wb
Reaction score
can you recommend some other dahua, without some of the features. I like good night vision, prefer a cheaper unit