Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Mine survived a Canadian winter but I don't think it hit much below -25C here last year. I've never had a camera die from the cold but it's nice to be able to de-ice the ones that get coated in a storm if you need to. I'm not sure what the temp is that needs a heater because the heat of the camera alone won't melt the ice. Usually when it's really cold here it's not storming. It'll certainly de-ice itself at least slowly down past -10 or -15C. Not sure how it'd fare at below - 25C if it got coated.

keneil01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback. Normal winter temp on my part of the country is between -7C to -10C, so if it handles your location, I should be fine.
Do you get ice crystals on the lens, or is this not a problem at your location?

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
No, normal camera heat keeps it clear under most conditions unless there's a storm.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank you Andy!! I have received all three cameras. I have tried them for a couple of minutes and they seem to work great. I won't be installing them, just yet. They are one of my Christmas presents. They will have to wait, until then.

Reaction score
I received my camera and mount yesterday. Great service by Andy! And I have to say, this camera far out-performs the Foscam it's replacing... even my wife admits it looks great.. to the point that she says we should replace our other Foscams with this. I guess another order is coming soon!
Thanks to all in this forum who've put together all the info a noob like myself needs to make a successful installation.

arlobillz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies
@tibimakai Gonna run one off of 12v until I get time to setup properly.

@looney2ns thanks for info, was thinking is the ps connector on camera standard ie should any 1.5 amp ps fit ?

Last edited:

docmart

n3wb
Reaction score
It's main power source is intended to be POE, Power Over Ethernet.
You need a POE network switch or a POE injector.

Or if you still want to use a separate 12v supply, one output rated at 1.5 amp will work.

So I got a few Cisco POE injectors air-pwrinj4 at work which output at 56V .55A. it is a standard 802.3af. Will it work with IPC-HDW5231R-Z?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So I got a few Cisco POE injectors air-pwrinj4 at work which output at 56V .55A. it is a standard 802.3af. Will it work with IPC-HDW5231R-Z?
According to Dahua ==>> here <<== it will; it states "Power Supply, DC12V, PoE(802.3af)(Class 0); Power Consumption, <8.5W."

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Howdy, I screwed up and forgot to waterproof the RJ-45 connector. Camera stopped working. I have it apart right now, and was wondering if there is a re-set button inside. If not, I'll order a new one from Andy.
I had this issue as well, except I had the water proof connection installed, but there must have been a pinch in the seal or something because it only lasted a week out in direct weather. I cut the connection off of the cat5e cable I made and put a new one on. I noticed the old one was corroded. Luckily, the connection on the camera seemed fine. I then put it all back together (with the waterproof connection too) and then wrapped everything with self bonding waterproof tape from harbor freight and put a metal weather shield over top of the camera to keep the sun and rain off of it. It's been working just fine now for 2-3 months.

I'll never fully trust the waterproof connection by itself again.

Resized952017113095073428957138.jpg Screenshot_20171130-075935.png

Last edited:

Semper Gumby

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had my camera under my deck overlooking the backyard. It was underneath a wood plate that provided a little relief from the rain, but moisture got into the connector and corroded it. My Blue Iris screen showed a “no signal” coming from the camera. Tried pulling the patch cable to the camera and restarting it, but the POE LED never came on. I went out to the camera and looked at the patch cord to the camera and it was black. Did a check from the computer patch cable inside the house to the patch cable outside, and the run was still good, the camera was fried. Ordered another camera from Andy and it will be here today. Bottom line, make sure the connector to the camera is water proofed!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Did a check from the computer patch cable inside the house to the patch cable outside, and the run was still good, the camera was fried.
It's more likely that it's just the connector that's damaged.
There are various options to fix the cable, such as a punch-down block or a full cable replacement, depending on how much effort you, or the person you sell it on to, wants to invest :
Example for Hikvision - Dahua colours will be different - grafting on a new end to the cable: Replacing a Faulty Hikvision PoE Connector

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I had this issue as well, except I had the water proof connection installed, but there must have been a pinch in the seal or something because it only lasted a week out in direct weather. I cut the connection off of the cat5e cable I made and put a new one on. I noticed the old one was corroded. Luckily, the connection on the camera seemed fine. I then put it all back together (with the waterproof connection too) and then wrapped everything with self bonding waterproof tape from harbor freight and put a metal weather shield over top of the camera to keep the sun and rain off of it. It's been working just fine now for 2-3 months.

I'll never fully trust the waterproof connection by itself again.

View attachment 24080 View attachment 24081
It looks like that is not the Dahua camera that is the subject of this thread. You say "I'll never trust the waterproof connector again", but what connector are you referring to?

I was a bit alarmed at the connector failure until I saw the pictures and and realized it's not the "5231" Camera we're discussing here. Is it another Dahua camera with the same connector?

And you did mention that the cable is exposed to direct weather... you weren't kidding!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This is a Dahua IPC-HDW1320S purchased from @EMPIRETECANDY. It has the same waterproof connection as my three 5231 cams so I figured it was relevant...but good catch. And yep...very much exposed. It didn't take very long at all to corrode....maybe 2 weeks?

And I'm talking about the screw together waterproof connection that you need to slip over your network cable before terminating the end that screws to the female network connection on the camera.