Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

Reaction score
Any advice for someone who has one of these mounted in the alley behind the garage and is also looking at adding a "security light"?

I was thinking about adding something big enough that I could just take full color video all night but that might be an obnoxious amount of light for the neighbors.

So is there anything I should consider as far as helping/not hurting the video I get in black and white when I add this other light? LED vs Halogen vs Incandescent for example?

Or does none of it make any difference? I was actually wondering if some bulbs inadvertantly throw off additional IR that would benefit the the camera.

Thanks for any advice.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Any advice for someone who has one of these mounted in the alley behind the garage and is also looking at adding a "security light"?

I was thinking about adding something big enough that I could just take full color video all night but that might be an obnoxious amount of light for the neighbors.

So is there anything I should consider as far as helping/not hurting the video I get in black and white when I add this other light? LED vs Halogen vs Incandescent for example?

Or does none of it make any difference? I was actually wondering if some bulbs inadvertantly throw off additional IR that would benefit the the camera.

Thanks for any advice.
See the link in my signature for my “Cliff Notes” post that has IR light recommendations from forum members.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
How bout an ir flood light?
Was thinking about that but (limited) personal experience and a set of posts in this very thread made me realize that sketchy people never seem to be aware of your fancy camera and so there may be more value in scaring them away with bright lights (cocroach effect) than getting better video of them on your turf.

For example last night a guy parks his car in my alley, walks up near my garage, whips it out and takes a piss in my driveway. Not the greatest personal insult Ive ever been dealt, but at one point Im convinced he finally looked right at my camera (and so must have noticed the IR lights) and just continues swinging it around until he is done pissing.

So, right now Im starting to think "is there more value in seeing his junk more clearly with enhanced IR lighting or in driving him away with big rude security lights"?

From there, it was more looking for insight if there was anything to watch out for when Im just gonna film in black and white anyway. Like if I did motion sensing, would the sudden bursts of extra light cause the camera to spend 5 seconds adjusting or does it matter at all? Those LED lights are low power enough that I could just run them on a timer and not bother with motion sensing either.

Just wondering if there is anything to consider. Hell maybe Ill put both extra IR and security lighting in in the long run

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
But these motion lights, are like alarms on the car, nobody takes them seriously anymore.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
To give you and idea, I have a 50 watt LED floodlight mounted about eight feet above and about fifteen feet away, up near the peak of the roof, from a 5231R-Z which is down at eave level. When we turn that light on the camera goes back into daytime mode. The camera, and light, are looking at our back door and driveway gate so the background colors are dark, non-reflective.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
When I got the last camera from Andy, it did not show the model of the camera, but after I have applied the latest firmware, the model number showed up.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score

Thanks for any advice.

A good outdoor 5k led light should work and give you a full color nighttime.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Lots of pages in this thread and my search came up empty. Is it confirmed that there is no way to downgrade firmware once 14.R is installed, or is there a backdoor/hack to do it? I have 3 5231's running 7.R and one running 14.R. The 7.R firmware is working flawlessly for my needs and I would love to get that last camera running the same. 14.R doesn't even show the device type in the version screen as 7.R does. Thanks.
Just for your FYI: I have 4 5231', with 14.R running for a couple of months with no issues.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Lots of pages in this thread and my search came up empty. Is it confirmed that there is no way to downgrade firmware once 14.R is installed, or is there a backdoor/hack to do it? I have 3 5231's running 7.R and one running 14.R. The 7.R firmware is working flawlessly for my needs and I would love to get that last camera running the same. 14.R doesn't even show the device type in the version screen as 7.R does. Thanks.
I don’t know if the brick recovery via TFTP (If I have that right) might help? Those instructions are near the end of my “Cliff Notes” post linked in my signature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaulOTron

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
With the recent change in the Dahua website, the links in the OP of this thread are all broken. I just ordered 3 of this camera so I HOPE I'll get some English documentation from Andy.

Is there another source for online docs? (Spec sheet, manual, Quickstart Guide)

Also, I wasn't intending to use the SD card slot... Its use isn't REQUIRED is it?

Paul M

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a couple pretty newbie type questions.

1) Will this camera work with TinyCam pro? I don't see it on the compatibility list.

2) I currently run a DD-WRT on my Linksys with a VPN loaded. I live in Canada, but everything connected to that router is Dallas, Texas. Will this make set up difficult with an NVR?

3) If my NVR is connected to my DDWRT enabled router, will I have to go through different steps to load the gdMSS or Tinycam app on my phone when not on my home network.

4) If installing 4 of these cameras outdoors and 2 indoors, will I need a junction box?

I think that's it for now. Any help/direction would be greatly appreciated.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a couple pretty newbie type questions.

1) Will this camera work with TinyCam pro? I don't see it on the compatibility list.

2) I currently run a DD-WRT on my Linksys with a VPN loaded. I live in Canada, but everything connected to that router is Dallas, Texas. Will this make set up difficult with an NVR?

3) If my NVR is connected to my DDWRT enabled router, will I have to go through different steps to load the gdMSS or Tinycam app on my phone when not on my home network.

4) If installing 4 of these cameras outdoors and 2 indoors, will I need a junction box?

I think that's it for now. Any help/direction would be greatly appreciated.
If you have OpenVPN setup now, that is working from your phone, then:
1-Yes
2-It shouldn't
3-Just have the VPN app running on your phone.
4-It depends on aesthetics, and how you can water proof the connections.

Looking for some advice and direction!

Paul M

n3wb
Reaction score
If you have OpenVPN setup now, that is working from your phone, then:
1-Yes
2-It shouldn't
3-Just have the VPN app running on your phone.
4-It depends on aesthetics, and how you can water proof the connections.

Looking for some advice and direction!

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have not used the VPN on my phone, unless it was connected to WIFI on my home network. When I leave my home network it goes to LTE and back to Canadian carrier + setting.

May I ask, why I need to have VPN loaded on my cell phone to access the NVR that's connected to the VPN router?

If I get rid of the VPN and just return to provider settings, does this cause any problems?

How do you find the TinyCam app? Does the app load quickly, and then the streams? That's a big one for the wifey.

Thanks again.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Tinycampro is a great overall app. It's responsiveness will depend on the speed of your phone, and the speed of your internet connection when away from home. But this pertains to any viewing app.

I think possibly you are confusing two different types of VPN.

Please study this for more info: VPN Primer for Noobs