Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Reaction score
Yes
Just a heads up that the 5231R-Z model being discussed in this thread has been replaced by the newer 5231R-ZE discussed in this thread:
Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE

Also, be sure to tag Andy in your posts using his forum name @EMPIRETECANDY so that the forum will notify him. You can also email him at kingsecurity2014 (at) 163.com.
Thank you man

steve_

n3wb
Reaction score
My Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z starlight variable focus unit crapped out after a two years of service. The IR lights are illuminated at night so I'm a little miffed whats going on. I checked the record, and at about 6am on a random morning the video recording feed sputtered out, went intermittent and never returned...

I've tried unplug/replug & power cycle the NVR.

Can anybody suggest any troubleshooting steps?
Whats a good drop in replacement I can get now?

Screen Shot 2021-01-02 at 9.36.37 PM.png

Ron75077

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ok! got my 5231 that disappeared from network back---either the port on POE+ switch is toast or just needed a total power cycle from the switch...running firmware 2.460.0000000.16.R, Build Date: 2017-09-04
...seems kind of old...the 2018-03-30 one seems to be stable for you guys?
i purchased a few (12) of the 5231‘s a few years ago from Andy. They have been outstanding. Still running today. In four (ish) years one failed that I could not recover and Andy replaced it (Thanks Andy!). The biggest problem I have had in four years is me. This is a great thread on security cameras.

Last edited:

00Buck

Known around here
Reaction score
Could be a cable issue. Should check that out just to make sure.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Repalce with a working cable to test and make a hard reset on the reset button for 5-7 seconds, make sure camera is powered when you do this. RESET.jpgseconds, and then search ip address via configtool, if still no response, camera die.
If this happen after a rain, maybe the rj45 port is leakaged.

If 2mp is good to go, the new one is IPC-T3241T-ZAS

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z starlight variable focus unit crapped out after a two years of service. The IR lights are illuminated at night so I'm a little miffed whats going on. I checked the record, and at about 6am on a random morning the video recording feed sputtered out, went intermittent and never returned...

View attachment 78736
Definitly check the ethernet connection at the camera, if not properly water proofed at time of install, that could be the issue.
Better yet, take down the cam and test with a short premade known good cable.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score

View attachment 78736
I would second @looney2ns on this. If you didn’t use the weatherproof connector on the Ethernet jacks and with its’ thin copper contact wires, it likely had been corrupted by the moistures.

I had one camera that crapped out so I tooled it down and use an PoE injector adapter to connect it directly to my computer to troubleshoot it, A hard reset button inside is what it all took to fix it.

I use weatherproof connectors that came with camera on all of my cameras. I purchased 8 of them in 2017 and it still going strong.

Iceman24

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
How do you remove this camera from where it's mounted? I should have the manual around somewhere, but I don't know where and I can't find any. The links in the first post don't work.

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
How do you remove this camera from where it's mounted? I should have the manual around somewhere, but I don't know where and I can't find any. The links in the first post don't work.
You need the hex key tool it came with; there is a little silver set screw in the base that locks the camera head in.

Iceman24

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You need the hex key tool it came with; there is a little silver set screw in the base that locks the camera head in.
Are you referring to the one at the front of the camera or the one set inside the body at the back?

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Are you referring to the one at the front of the camera or the one set inside the body at the back?
This one here. It seems to lock the swivel of the part holding the camera and the camera itself.
1697046956028.png

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks. We tried some tools to fit that, but they didn't work. I have the one that came with it around here somewhere, will have to find and try.
It is an odd shape; I have only really found the tool that it comes with works well.