Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

Discussion in 'Dahua' started by nayr, Nov 9, 2016.

Share This Page

1. myipcam

myipcam Getting the hang of it

Should be added to Cliff notes (if not already.. I forget). I had the same concern and was about ask.

2. looney2ns

looney2ns IPCT Contributor

That it sucks.

Corbeaux, botics, catcamstar and 3 others like this.
  3. sledhead406

sledhead406 n3wb

Ive got 3 5231R-Z cams, a Dahua PTZ (cant remember exact model but its 25x Starlight), and a Sunba PTZ that I picked up before finding this site.

Last winter I had one night at -44F and they ran fine. Tons of nights at -30F do not phase them either.

The Sunba freezes up (literally) with ice and snow and will not move, but this is more due to the mounting location than the camera.
    The Dahua PTZ has iced up a few times too, but this is due to spring/fall conditions when wet before dark.

Ive worried more about condensation in the POE switches mounted in barns than the cameras, and even that has not been an issue.

4. redfive

redfive Pulling my weight

Usually, I use IP56 boxes , with some desiccant pack, second image is an IP55 box (is inside), at the time of the snap, three ethernet cables were still missing (the switch provides PoE for three cams and the wireless bridge, and is under UPS, while the three PoE injectors aren't under UPS and are for three UniFi AP's) now is finished, with, of course, the dessicant packets inside :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    tangent, giomania, looney2ns and 3 others like this.
  5. manwald

manwald n3wb

Hi guys,

I've got 4 of these cams right now and I'm very pleased with the picture-quality so far.

But I asked myself if there is a starlight-version that's comparable with this one, but with PTZ and also maybe a mic?

Best regards
    Mischa

6. erkme73

erkme73 Getting comfortable

That looks very professional. I have something similar with an 8-port PoE switch in an weather tight box - but I didn't add desiccant (yet?) because that switch runs pretty warm. Anytime I open the box, I can feel warm air come out - so I just ASSumed the heat would prevent condensation. Maybe I ought to rethink my approach?

7. Tibor Makai

Tibor Makai Getting the hang of it

There are some, but some have different shapes. You will have to decide, which one would work better for you. I have just got the SD5925U-HNI(has also autotracking), there is a SD4925 version as well, cheaper but does not have auto tracking, than there is a dome versions, something like the SD5225(forgot the exact model #).

manwald likes this.
  8. redfive

redfive Pulling my weight

@erkme73
    Yes, the switches are pretty hot, and this should help, but humidity is a bad beast (here, eg. the fiber come into the box through a conduit that is directly connected to another underground conduit (D. 63mm), so, ... prevention is better than cure :)

9. erkme73

I agree. My only problem is the desiccant packs would die of old age well before I'd remember to change them. Fortunately, my cat 5s come out of the conduit, go through some air, then through weather tight cable glands. Granted, unless the box is hermetically sealed, moisture WILL always get it, I'm banking on that it is condensate that does the harm - and so long as the internal temp stays above the dew point of the air inside, I won't see any.

10. tangent

tangent IPCT Contributor

If you really want to keep moisture out you may need to seal the conduits with something. A little fiberglass insulation stuffed in the conduit could work.

11. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

Keep the nest, it is obviously a superior camera, platform and most importantly you dont need anything better.

12. flynreelow

flynreelow Pulling my weight

nest...

haha. maybe try ring, seems to be in your wheelhouse

13. erkme73

Rough crowd tonight....

14. samys

samys n3wb

Hi, I have 2 x IPC-HDW5231R-Z and a IPC-HDW5231R-ZE (might get more in the near future). I am moving from a router to a mesh and I need a switch with more ports, so I was thinking going for a Netgear POE switch. I have two options on Amazon, a 16/183W or a 16/76W. Which one to go for, can I use the ports to connect regular stuff( NAS, PC), non Poe? Thank you. I use a Synology Nas as an NVR, licenses are pricey. Should I keep this or go for an NVR.

15. awsum140

awsum140 Known around here

16/183, more is always better!
    You can connect non PoE with no problem.
    Go with Blue Iris, far superior and not very expensive at all.

samys and looney2ns like this.
  16. reverend

reverend Pulling my weight

Well the 5231 I use as an overview cam still sees some strange sights.

There's also some other footage I can't upload here which has resulted in one of the residents of the street being evicted this week for thefts from his neighbours (in conjunction with footage from the PTZ).

The overview cams help to piece together footage from other cameras to tell the overall story.

The guy who was locked up for 18 months for a stabbing is released tomorrow so hopefully we won't see him anytime soon (but I'm waiting on pressing the trigger on new starlight 4k cams from @EMPIRETECANDY as soon as they release soon!)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    looney2ns and Parley like this.
  17. Parley

Parley Getting comfortable

Looks like her mirror took it in the shorts. Maybe some body damage as well.

reverend likes this.
  18. reverend

reverend Pulling my weight

Yep the mirror is gone and some damage to the wing and door - that won't polish out! I felt sorry for her but goes to show what a momentary lack of concentration can do (we've all been there!)
    Screenshot_20190405-132954_Blue Iris.jpg

19. CCTVCam

CCTVCam Pulling my weight

Ouch. That's a couple of £K's worth. Expensive mistake. Didn't realise you were one of us Limeys Reverend. Nice still capture from just a phone screen.

reverend likes this.
  20. Sander kerkhoff

Sander kerkhoff Young grasshopper

Whats the latest firmware for this camera?