Dahua VTO2111D-WP Information and Hacking

cameraman27

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OP, I am getting conflicting info and would like your assistance. In the specs, they it says POE 802.3af for power, but some descriptions note I have to purchase a specific DAHUA one.

What did you use?
I am using a Netgear JGS516PE switch which uses standard PoE spec for power - nothing is specific Dahua or to Dahua and this villa station is the only Dahua item I own on my network.

epcjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am having a hard time adding this unit to my NVR after a factory reboot. The image does not show, however the NVR acknowledges that the doorbell is there cause the status is green Any ideas anyone?

cameraman27

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am having a hard time adding this unit to my NVR after a factory reboot. The image does not show, however the NVR acknowledges that the doorbell is there cause the status is green Any ideas anyone?
What NVR are you using? I'm on blueiris with this

Did it work before the reboot?

jaycanter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just got this cam a few weeks ago and got to work with BI But my Dahua NVR it shows but black picture. not sure why

bobfather

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just set this up for my business, and I wanted to share my thoughts. I have it running via WiFi.

1) Image quality is fine, though limited to 720P. Some people will find this to be a negative.

2) This camera interfaces with Blue Iris perfectly well. The following settings are used:
Make: Dahua
Model: Main Stream RTSP
Ports: 554, 8999
Video Path: /
Camera: 1

I tried setting up Blue Iris 2-way audio, but this feature doesn't work yet through Blue Iris. However, Blue Iris will capture audio without a problem. I hope Ken can make broadcasting audio work in the future, so we don't have to rely on Dahua's app.

3) With the camera connected to Blue Iris, one can also use the iDMSS Lite app, no problem. The app can capture audio and broadcast audio. There's a slight delay on WiFi - maybe 1 second in receiving and sending audio.

4) Logging into the camera web interface is somewhat limiting. For example, you only have the option to select frame rates of either 3 fps, 25 fps, and I think 30 fps. For me, the happy medium is 10 fps. The good news is, if you download the Dahua ConfigTool software you can configure the camera to have just about any frame rate you want. On Windows 10 I could only get version 3.x of the ConfigTool to work - there's also a version 4.x of the ConfigTool that installed fine, but failed to find the camera on my network. Do note that the ConfigTool does not let you set every option that the web interface does, so you'll need to use both interfaces to fully configure your camera.

5) I think the best way to use this camera is to set a static IP for it, or leave it on DHCP and tell your router to assign a static IP based on the camera's MAC. Then in the iDMSS app you can manually add a camera so you don't have to use their P2P service to connect the camera. This is especially prudent because as the posters above have noticed, changing the default username or password away from admin:admin breaks stuff, which is totally, hilariously dumb, but I digress. The last firmware update for this camera is from mid-2017, so I doubt this will ever get fixed, but if it never gets fixed then you'll be happiest if you shut down all the UPNP and P2P services and then firewall the camera so it can't see the internet, at all.

Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with it. I'm a Hikvision guy, and I think this Dahua cam isn't quite as nice as the Hiks I've used, but it's also one of their niche models so I guess I understand if the support isn't as good.

cameraman27

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just set this up for my business, and I wanted to share my thoughts. I have it running via WiFi.

1) Image quality is fine, though limited to 720P. Some people will find this to be a negative.

2) This camera interfaces with Blue Iris perfectly well. The following settings are used:
Make: Dahua
Model: Main Stream RTSP
Ports: 554, 8999
Video Path: /
Camera: 1

I tried setting up Blue Iris 2-way audio, but this feature doesn't work yet through Blue Iris. However, Blue Iris will capture audio without a problem. I hope Ken can make broadcasting audio work in the future, so we don't have to rely on Dahua's app.

3) With the camera connected to Blue Iris, one can also use the iDMSS Lite app, no problem. The app can capture audio and broadcast audio. There's a slight delay on WiFi - maybe 1 second in receiving and sending audio.

4) Logging into the camera web interface is somewhat limiting. For example, you only have the option to select frame rates of either 3 fps, 25 fps, and I think 30 fps. For me, the happy medium is 10 fps. The good news is, if you download the Dahua ConfigTool software you can configure the camera to have just about any frame rate you want. On Windows 10 I could only get version 3.x of the ConfigTool to work - there's also a version 4.x of the ConfigTool that installed fine, but failed to find the camera on my network. Do note that the ConfigTool does not let you set every option that the web interface does, so you'll need to use both interfaces to fully configure your camera.

5) I think the best way to use this camera is to set a static IP for it, or leave it on DHCP and tell your router to assign a static IP based on the camera's MAC. Then in the iDMSS app you can manually add a camera so you don't have to use their P2P service to connect the camera. This is especially prudent because as the posters above have noticed, changing the default username or password away from admin:admin breaks stuff, which is totally, hilariously dumb, but I digress. The last firmware update for this camera is from mid-2017, so I doubt this will ever get fixed, but if it never gets fixed then you'll be happiest if you shut down all the UPNP and P2P services and then firewall the camera so it can't see the internet, at all.

Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with it. I'm a Hikvision guy, and I think this Dahua cam isn't quite as nice as the Hiks I've used, but it's also one of their niche models so I guess I understand if the support isn't as good.
Pretty much mirrors my experience.

I will add:

You can have a username besides admin/admin but it has to be newadmin999/newadmin999 or newadmin1/newadmin1 with the same username/pass which is stupid but at least it's more secure than the default admin/admin

Since it's 720p I was OK with 30FPS on this cam, it's not really dragging my BI system down with that fast frame rate at all. YMMV of course.

Bobfather; does your BI key still have some support time left? If you could please reach out to Ken and see if he can work with you to make the audio work 2-way for this camera's stream. My support is expired so I wasnt able to do it with him, but he said he might be able to...

BubbaJoe

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@bobfather thx for the info, it helps. Been looking at adding a doorbell cam but have held off due to so many problems.

bobfather

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My support is also expired. Crazy that you need "support" to tell Ken that his software is lacking a feature that would be helpful to have, but this is the world we live in!

cameraman27

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I will also add that my camera does not work when set as 'Dahua' and 'Main stream RTSP' with a path of '/'

Mine only works as:

Camera: Amcrest
Type: ProHD/4MP/RTSP
Path: /cam/realmonitor/

bobfather

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
At another forum user’s request, here are some videos of the footage you get from this cam, both at night and during the day in a backlit situation. Footage while front lit is also very good (the cam faces due East and catches direct sun every morning), but obviously less contrasty and with more light flares than the backlit scenario.

All clips recorded at 720P / 25 FPS / 3072kbps CBR:

Dropbox - FrontDoor.20180303_160917_1.mp4
Dropbox - FrontDoor.20180304_012703_1.mp4

As an aside, I have noticed that this cam really doesn’t like to run at less than 3 / 25 / 30 FPS, which are the options allowed in the web configuration settings. You can use version 3 of the Dahua ConfigTool to change the FPS to any arbitrary number (such as 10 FPS), but after a few days of running the video stream develops artifacts that persist even through camera reboots. It’s strange, and most probably a software problem but I doubt it will ever be fixed because this cam isn’t very well supported.

Phillo

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am a bit late to this party.... But I was wondering if anyone has had luck connecting this unit directly as an extension to an Asterisk based PBX? Its a limitation in the firmware (I assume). Is it possible either through me not seeing what needs to be done OR via a hacked firmware?

Teklock

n3wb
Reaction score
I couldn't get it to work with my Asterisk setup at all. I searched for a SIP firmware like their other doorbell cams, but could't find one anywhere. I don't understand what is so damn hard about making a 2mp, 1080P, ONVIF, SIP Doorbell/Camera!

Phillo

n3wb
Reaction score
Crap. It looks like I have bought a dud (for my purpose anyway)

Phillo

n3wb
Reaction score
I have loaded it, but it seems to have language issues (pages are showing no text but other fields are there).

back to the drawing board.

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
EDIT TO ADD: I made additional postings below to go over features/info/and hacks for a zwave sensor

Just got a VTO2111D-WP in and the iDMSS app can't find the device at all.

Any ideas? I am scanning the QR code.

Also the device wont automatically show up in my DHCP leases on my router.
Can this model be powered by connecting a regular wall adapter to it (splice wall adapter to the wiring harness that comes with unit)?

cameraman27

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can this model be powered by connecting a regular wall adapter to it (splice wall adapter to the wiring harness that comes with unit)?
Not sure. It's POE, and im not sure if something like that exists? power is fed through the RJ45 port, through 803.11 spec.