Dahua XVR510 purchase confusion

occicat

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

Did the purchase years back for a QSEE costco deal, old 600tvl cams, 8 channel. Worked pretty well and it was my first time doing a cam install and overall, it worked well minus the need to install a plugin when accessing the DVR via a local network via IP.

Well the DVR stopped working a year ago and I had long since forgotten about it till recently and initially purchased a Samsung 8 ch package but the iOS app never worked and the web browser plugin never worked either so it got returned.

I just received a Dahua XVR510 today and discovered it only records at 15fps, not 30fps which to me seems that it should record at 30fps and possibly I did myself a disservice by getting this model due to this. I also discovered that it uses NPAPI which isn't supported in any browser on MAC/OSX which is also a disappointment to me. I did download the smart PSS program, still trying to get through that but overall my question is two fold.

Should I be concerned with the 15fps limit on the cameras or return this DVR for the 30fps modal if there is one, I don't know, Dahua has too many models, Amcrest was another I was looking at that does do 30fps but these units all seem to be the same more or less just a different UI and interface. Most all require some plugin.

And does anyone have any workarounds to not being able to view the cams through a web browser? I tried RTSP but that doesn't work at all.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Did the purchase years back for a QSEE costco deal, old 600tvl cams, 8 channel. Worked pretty well and it was my first time doing a cam install and overall, it worked well minus the need to install a plugin when accessing the DVR via a local network via IP.

Well the DVR stopped working a year ago and I had long since forgotten about it till recently and initially purchased a Samsung 8 ch package but the iOS app never worked and the web browser plugin never worked either so it got returned.

I just received a Dahua XVR510 today and discovered it only records at 15fps, not 30fps which to me seems that it should record at 30fps and possibly I did myself a disservice by getting this model due to this. I also discovered that it uses NPAPI which isn't supported in any browser on MAC/OSX which is also a disappointment to me. I did download the smart PSS program, still trying to get through that but overall my question is two fold.

Should I be concerned with the 15fps limit on the cameras or return this DVR for the 30fps modal if there is one, I don't know, Dahua has too many models, Amcrest was another I was looking at that does do 30fps but these units all seem to be the same more or less just a different UI and interface. Most all require some plugin.

And does anyone have any workarounds to not being able to view the cams through a web browser? I tried RTSP but that doesn't work at all.
you dont need 30fps...its way overkill...15fps is more than enough..there are a bunch of threads explaining how to work around the npapi issue...search...
amcrest simply rebrands dahua, and charges suckers more.

occicat

n3wb
Reaction score
you dont need 30fps...its way overkill...15fps is more than enough..there are a bunch of threads explaining how to work around the npapi issue...search...
amcrest simply rebrands dahua, and charges suckers more.
Thanks fenderman, figured as much, just a bit overwhelmed with the new cameras, digital wide dynamic range options on/off, color adjustments, went a little overkill for a home setup admittedly but wanted to make sure before I committed and went forward. I'm researching the npapi issue, wish Dahua had just opted to update their firmware to support newer browsers. The app seems solid as does the OSX version of it.

occicat

n3wb
Reaction score
Well it's a decent ish system from what I can tell, even with the issues with the NPAPI issue which I am unable to sort out even after googling, and researching. Smart PSS seems to not be able to record anything either even though I have the storage schedule setup to record regular and MD on all channels. When I go to close Smart PSS it prompts me that the recording will stop once I close the program, which seems odd as well, shouldn't stop when I close the program, the DVR should continue to record. Seems that there are quirks with all of these Chinese boxes.

occicat

n3wb
Reaction score
Lastly, is it normal to have to enter in your ip and name every time you open Smart PSS? Seems that with the Mac version it never saves your IP of your device and you have to add it every time.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well it's a decent ish system from what I can tell, even with the issues with the NPAPI issue which I am unable to sort out even after googling, and researching. Smart PSS seems to not be able to record anything either even though I have the storage schedule setup to record regular and MD on all channels. When I go to close Smart PSS it prompts me that the recording will stop once I close the program, which seems odd as well, shouldn't stop when I close the program, the DVR should continue to record. Seems that there are quirks with all of these Chinese boxes.
Search npapi on this forum...
The quirkiness of all these stand alone boxes and the lack of features is why many of us use software-based VMS like blueiris.... The difference is night and day...

occicat

n3wb
Reaction score
you dont want to use your daily pc for blue iris...for 100 dollars you can buy a pc that would work for 99 percent of setups...see wiki
I managed to find one that I had in my attic that has enough horsepower to run it actually which is great. I did manage to get the entire system sorted out, cams installed and running with Smart PSS but now that I found the spare PC, picking up Blue Iris seems to be the icing on the cake!

I do appreciate the help and instruction!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I managed to find one that I had in my attic that has enough horsepower to run it actually which is great. I did manage to get the entire system sorted out, cams installed and running with Smart PSS but now that I found the spare PC, picking up Blue Iris seems to be the icing on the cake!

I do appreciate the help and instruction!
Note that some older systems are powehogs...

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score