Decent 4k or better cameras for outdoors in Florida Home.

Reaction score
OK,
Just moved to Florida and looking to set up 4 outdoor cameras to monitor my home. Have Blue Iris setup internally, so am looking for BI compatible, decent but not ludicrously priced outdoor cameras that I can mount on the 2 side walls, front over the door area and back over the lanai area. Looking to have power and\or ethernet run to each as required. Not sure what the best options are (need to be able to windstand wind and rain obviously) or whether POE is the way to go or whether running a separate power line and ethernet line for each is better. Also not sure what cameras are the best options (prefer US branded\rebranded if possible). Any help on choosing a camera and what setup is required to properly power and mount them would be appreciated.

Thanks.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do not chase megapixels, more megapixels are not necessarily better.
Camera Sensor size, bigger is general better Sensor Size Chart
Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras if you need good low light cameras.
Start with one variable focus camera, check the lens and camera placement

Cameras to look at
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED . Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+) - 4MP starlight
.................... Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED review
IPC-T5442TM-AS ..... Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-HDW5442t-ZE .... Dahua IPC-HDW5442T-ZE 4MP Varifocal Turret - Night Perfomance testing -- variable focus 2.7 mm-12mm 4 MP Starlight
IPC-B5442E-ZE ...... Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+ -- variable 2.7mm-12mm bullet
IPC-B5442E-Z4E .... bullet 8mm-32mm variable focus zoom 4MP
IPC-HFW7442H-Z ..... Review - Dahua IPC-HFW7442H-Z 4MP Ultra AI Varifocal Bullet Camera -- 4 MP variable focus AI
IPC-T2347G-LU ...... Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera. (DS-2CD2347G1-LU)
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS .... Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 . Review-OEM IPC-T2231T-ZS Ver 2, 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE .... Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE ... IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I ... Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
IPC-T5241H-AS-PV ... Review-OEM IPC-T5241H-AS-PV 2mp AI active deterrence cam
IPC-T3241-ZAS ...... Review-OEM IPC-T3241-ZAS 2mp AI Lite series Varifocal -- 2mp AI Lite series Varifocal
IPC-HFW2831T-ZS ... Review-Dahua IPC-HFW2831T-ZS 8MP WDR IR Bullet Network Camera -- 8MP Bullet 1/1.8” sensor variable focus.
DS-2CD2325FWD-I
N22AL12 ............ New Dahua N22AL12 Budget Cam w/Starlight -- low cost entry
IPC-T2347G-LU....... Review-Loryta OEM 4MP IPC-T2347G-LU ColorVu Fixed Turret Network 4mm lens & Junction Box -- 4MP ColorVu
.................... Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera.
SD49225XA-HNR ...... Review - Dahua SD49225XA-HNR 2MP 25x Starlight + IR PTZ AI Camera with Deep IVS & SMD Plus -- 2mp startlight AI

Reaction score
Do not chase megapixels, more megapixels are not necessarily better.
Camera Sensor size, bigger is general better Sensor Size Chart
Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras if you need good low light cameras.
Start with one variable focus camera, check the lens and camera placement

Cameras to look at
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED . Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+) - 4MP starlight
.................... Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED review
IPC-T5442TM-AS ..... Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-HDW5442t-ZE .... Dahua IPC-HDW5442T-ZE 4MP Varifocal Turret - Night Perfomance testing -- variable focus 2.7 mm-12mm 4 MP Starlight
IPC-B5442E-ZE ...... Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+ -- variable 2.7mm-12mm bullet
IPC-B5442E-Z4E .... bullet 8mm-32mm variable focus zoom 4MP
IPC-HFW7442H-Z ..... Review - Dahua IPC-HFW7442H-Z 4MP Ultra AI Varifocal Bullet Camera -- 4 MP variable focus AI
IPC-T2347G-LU ...... Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera. (DS-2CD2347G1-LU)
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS .... Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 . Review-OEM IPC-T2231T-ZS Ver 2, 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE .... Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE ... IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I ... Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
IPC-T5241H-AS-PV ... Review-OEM IPC-T5241H-AS-PV 2mp AI active deterrence cam
IPC-T3241-ZAS ...... Review-OEM IPC-T3241-ZAS 2mp AI Lite series Varifocal -- 2mp AI Lite series Varifocal
IPC-HFW2831T-ZS ... Review-Dahua IPC-HFW2831T-ZS 8MP WDR IR Bullet Network Camera -- 8MP Bullet 1/1.8” sensor variable focus.
DS-2CD2325FWD-I
N22AL12 ............ New Dahua N22AL12 Budget Cam w/Starlight -- low cost entry
IPC-T2347G-LU....... Review-Loryta OEM 4MP IPC-T2347G-LU ColorVu Fixed Turret Network 4mm lens & Junction Box -- 4MP ColorVu
.................... Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera.
SD49225XA-HNR ...... Review - Dahua SD49225XA-HNR 2MP 25x Starlight + IR PTZ AI Camera with Deep IVS & SMD Plus -- 2mp startlight AI

Thanks. So I assume the Empire Tech version sold on Amazon of the:

is a decent way to go for the first camera I install?

I assume I would need the junction box to mount it.

And run a length of Cat 6 outdoor rated cable to the junction box. Anything else needed? I would want to be able to mount the first one on the side of the house and the camera would need to point looking down the side of the house, so not sure if any other bracket is needed.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You have the correct camera on amazon. The use of a junction box depends on how you mount it. I use junction boxes when mounting vertical on brick walls. I do not use them when mounting horizontal, like on a wood soffit .

I use either 5e or 6 cat cable. All my cables run through the wall, or attic. I have no exposed outdoor cable., except for one spot, i just do not worry about it. For my test mounting i just use a regular cable as it will not be outside very long.

You are off to a good start.

Reaction score
You have the correct camera on amazon. The use of a junction box depends on how you mount it. I use junction boxes when mounting vertical on brick walls. I do not use them when mounting horizontal, like on a wood soffit .

I use either 5e or 6 cat cable. All my cables run through the wall, or attic. I have no exposed outdoor cable., except for one spot, i just do not worry about it. For my test mounting i just use a regular cable as it will not be outside very long.

You are off to a good start.

Thanks.

I figure with my home in Florida being concrete block construction like most homes here, it would make sense to run cmp rated cat 6 from a 2nd floor laundry room (where the network panel and router\main switch are) poe switch up to the attic and then punch a hole to the outside and and run cat 6 down conduit to about 10 feet off the ground. This way, should only need the ethernet wire and no electrical run. Conduit should protect the ethernet cable so I assume I do not need the outside rated wire? The cameras are going to need to be mounted flush to the wall (stucco), so I assume the mounts are needed?

Reaction score
on concrete blocks I would use the mounts with the conduit.
Thanks. Looks like one location I will not be able to easily get ethernet cabling to (power shouldnot be a problem). Any recommendations on a similar wireless camera?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I do not recommend wifi. Look at IP over powerline (powerline bridge) . Wifi can be jammed and is very unreliable for security and surveillance.

Reaction score
I do not recommend wifi. Look at IP over powerline (powerline bridge) . Wifi can be jammed and is very unreliable for security and surveillance.

I was not aware that you could use power line ethernet adapters outside. I assume you need ones rated for such though? Any recommendations on those?

Reaction score
if it needs to be outside put it in an enclosure box. .
Got all of them done but the one where running the ethernet wire is not practical. Testing with the powerline adapters I have yielded very inconsistent results from OK to basically worthless (< 5 mbps). Granted I have a bunch of older ones. Have you used any newer powerline adapters for such that you can recommend?