Deciding between 4 new cameras. Do you know these brands' performance?

dpw818

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi! After a very successful run with a number of iQeye cameras (they're getting old!), being unhappy with the GW Security telnet backdoor (they wouldn't give me the telnet password so I could disable onboard access), and now, being unable to get the Hanwa / Samsung camera to work, I am in the market for some new cameras.

I would like a 12 MP camera, and was considering the HikVision (DS-2CD4AC5F-IZH) and Dahua (NK8BB7Z). I looked a little further to see what other alternatives there were, and I came across two additional cameras - but I know nothing about their performance, and was hoping someone here could provide some feedback!

Panasonic WV-SPV781L - looks nice, but super costly
Honeywell HBD8GR1 - looks nice

By way of background, I use these cameras to capture motion and then store that video file on my server. Ideally, I'd like:
  • a camera that has IR built in
  • is 12mp video
  • dynamic upload location & files (e.g., %M%D%Y)
  • Linux access compatibility would be nice
  • Video FTP upload would also be good, but NAS probably also is good in case I decide to make this a constantly running NVR - but it must work well with Samba!!
  • and then the rest of the standards
As I go about verifying that Honeywell, and the rest of the cameras provide this, I wanted to ask: Does anyone have any feedback about the Honeywell and Panasonic cameras, and how they compare to the HikVision and Dahua?

Thanks so very much for any feedback!!

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi! After a very successful run with a number of iQeye cameras (they're getting old!), being unhappy with the GW Security telnet backdoor (they wouldn't give me the telnet password so I could disable onboard access), and now, being unable to get the Hanwa / Samsung camera to work, I am in the market for some new cameras.

I would like a 12 MP camera, and was considering the HikVision (DS-2CD4AC5F-IZH) and Dahua (NK8BB7Z). I looked a little further to see what other alternatives there were, and I came across two additional cameras - but I know nothing about their performance, and was hoping someone here could provide some feedback!

Panasonic WV-SPV781L - looks nice, but super costly
Honeywell HBD8GR1 - looks nice

By way of background, I use these cameras to capture motion and then store that video file on my server. Ideally, I'd like:
  • a camera that has IR built in
  • is 12mp video
  • dynamic upload location & files (e.g., %M%D%Y)
  • Linux access compatibility would be nice
  • Video FTP upload would also be good, but NAS probably also is good in case I decide to make this a constantly running NVR - but it must work well with Samba!!
  • and then the rest of the standards
As I go about verifying that Honeywell, and the rest of the cameras provide this, I wanted to ask: Does anyone have any feedback about the Honeywell and Panasonic cameras, and how they compare to the HikVision and Dahua?

Thanks so very much for any feedback!!
You likely dont need anything close to 12mp..way overkill and often poor low light vision. For the amount you are overpaying for these cameras you can get a good vms to record the video.

dpw818

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, thanks very much for the feedback. These cameras will be used for a house, but not just internal - also to have a view to a quite large frontal, side, and rear area. I understand about a lesser mp amount and appreciate the suggestions, and I will review these options as well, based on the specific needs (e.g. size of area).

I actually really do like the Samsung / Hanwa, but I just cannot get the thing to store on NAS (10 second clips grow to 1gb files and more, camera doesn't log, and a slew of other issues). My other cameras that are older have started to die since I've had them for a pretty long time.

I know HikVision and Dahua are market leaders, so camera security should be a really quick question to answer. I am concerned about backdoor access. I was unhappy to find out that the telnet port on my Great Wall camera was open and I didn't / wasn't given password access to change it (well, I was just as unhappy there is probably a master password to this model floating around). Do either of these other cameras, the Dahua and Hikvision, have an open telnet port? If so, are you able to access that (e.g., to change the password, etc.)? Are there any other security concerns with them?

Thanks a ton!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, thanks very much for the feedback. These cameras will be used for a house, but not just internal - also to have a view to a quite large frontal, side, and rear area. I understand about a lesser mp amount and appreciate the suggestions, and I will review these options as well, based on the specific needs (e.g. size of area).

I actually really do like the Samsung / Hanwa, but I just cannot get the thing to store on NAS (10 second clips grow to 1gb files and more, camera doesn't log, and a slew of other issues). My other cameras that are older have started to die since I've had them for a pretty long time.

I know HikVision and Dahua are market leaders, so camera security should be a really quick question to answer. I am concerned about backdoor access. I was unhappy to find out that the telnet port on my Great Wall camera was open and I didn't / wasn't given password access to change it (well, I was just as unhappy there is probably a master password to this model floating around). Do either of these other cameras, the Dahua and Hikvision, have an open telnet port? If so, are you able to access that (e.g., to change the password, etc.)? Are there any other security concerns with them?

Thanks a ton!
Avigilon has a 29 megapixel camera..look into that... seriously read the wiki... You don't need to spend 1k on a camera

dpw818

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, thanks. I started to review the documentation and will continue. Off the top I can say I will look at the lower mp cameras going forward, and try to find ones that are well suited. But regarding these two manufacturers, Dahua and Hikvision, any security concerns?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, thanks. I started to review the documentation and will continue. Off the top I can say I will look at the lower mp cameras going forward, and try to find ones that are well suited. But regarding these two manufacturers, Dahua and Hikvision, any security concerns?
Yes, lots of security concerns. There are concerns with every camera. The solution is simple, dont provide internet access to the camera, disable upnp/cloud.
FYI until recently Panasonic has been rebranding dahua.
Samsung hanwah is a good choice. Dont know about their low light offerings. They will cost more than hik/dahua.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
That Panasonic has a cool feature with regards to Depth of Field..
"Smart DoF (Depth of Field): Automatically optimizes DoF to enhance focus both for near and far objects within camera view."

But at $2300 it isnt cool enough to justify the extra $2000 over a good Dahua Starlight for me :eek:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Only limited knowledge, so who knows?

This clip (3 years old) seems to show promise..

Check out from the .50 second mark

dpw818

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, lots of security concerns. There are concerns with every camera. The solution is simple, dont provide internet access to the camera, disable upnp/cloud.
Ok good to know about the rebranding. Not that this is really in the running any more, but I did notice how the Honeywell design looked to similar to others... Restricting access for security reasons is a good idea, and I always take care to block all inbound connections (fully open on LAN, so I can tunnel through the servers which are open to inbound and access that way if I need to). I also try, to the extent possible, to restrict outbound traffic from that camera's IP (I have this unlikely worry that it's transmitting data back), but I am limited by the router I have, and I'd rather not put another piece of hardware in between the camera and router or router and drop.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok good to know about the rebranding. Not that this is really in the running any more, but I did notice how the Honeywell design looked to similar to others... Restricting access for security reasons is a good idea, and I always take care to block all inbound connections (fully open on LAN, so I can tunnel through the servers which are open to inbound and access that way if I need to). I also try, to the extent possible, to restrict outbound traffic from that camera's IP (I have this unlikely worry that it's transmitting data back), but I am limited by the router I have, and I'd rather not put another piece of hardware in between the camera and router or router and drop.
Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
If you don't need audio: Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
VPN Primer for Noobs
Randy : OpenVPN on a Asus router
How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) | IP Cam Talk