Dell Optiplex 7010 is dead -- How to troubleshoot power supply issue?

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My I7-7700 optiplex runs 15 cams with Bi and use's on average of 32watts from the wall.
Now that would be interesting to compare. I wish I had measured the power before it died. Has anyone ever started a thread like that? Everyone please post your "Kill-a-watt" readings?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Now that would be interesting to compare. I wish I had measured the power before it died. Has anyone ever started a thread like that? Everyone please post your "Kill-a-watt" readings?
Its really difficult to compare unless you had the exact two processors - same hard drives/number of drives - same power supplies and same load because the power consumption is not linear.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Another thought. When you buy a power supply on ebay/amazon you dont know who made it. I simply would not trust it in my home (just as I would not trust a laptop power supply purchased from amazon/ebay). In theory any used system could have a replaced no name power supply, the likelyhood is low since they are fairly new and most have a 3 year warranty on site so they would have likely been replaced with an OEM part.

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I simply would not trust it in my home (just as I would not trust a laptop power supply purchased from amazon/ebay).
Hmmm. I'd have minimal worries about a metal box that mounts inside a metal case. Items with plastic construction are the problem. I had a plastic enclosed dehumidifier that was recalled because it could turn into a fireball. Someone posted a video and it was amazing.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Hmmm. I'd have minimal worries about a metal box that mounts inside a metal case. Items with plastic construction are the problem. I had a plastic enclosed dehumidifier that was recalled because it could turn into a fireball. Someone posted a video and it was amazing.
PCs catching fire and burning down a house, not common but does happen. This happened to the renters of my cousins house, upstairs was completely trashed, in a house environment there will probably much stuff around to help the fire take catch.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Another thought. When you buy a power supply on ebay/amazon you dont know who made it. I simply would not trust it in my home (just as I would not trust a laptop power supply purchased from amazon/ebay). In theory any used system could have a replaced no name power supply, the likelyhood is low since they are fairly new and most have a 3 year warranty on site so they would have likely been replaced with an OEM part.
FWIW, when it comes to AC adapters I purchase only UL-listed. I usually unplug even those when leaving the house, but sometimes forget.

One of my clients lost a beautiful 2,200 sq. foot, 2 story, 8 year old farm house 5 years ago due to a phone charger in the master bedroom. She said it wasn't the one that came with the iPhone so it was likely a cheap, non-listed one from the local dollar store. Being in a rural area the house didn't stand a chance.