Dhua recommendations for use with BlueIris and Audio for new install

Matt Redz

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All

Currently running a Hikvision NVR with 4 cameras dotted external around my house but want to move over to Dahua and BlueIris and enable audio also. I'm currently running 4MP Hikvision that are great in the daytime but really fail at night.

The plan is to install the BlueIris alongside the NVR I have at present and slowly move over once I have extra cables in place for the POE as I plan to run more than 4 cameras eventually. Plus budget at present will only allow for me to do the BlueIris build and a single camera.

I've done a ton of reading on the forum over the past months but there's so many models of camera out at present it's hard to nail down what you want :-(

Must meet the following;
Good night time performance
Has Audio
Plays well with BlueIris
NONE PTZ
Weatherproof
POE

Any help would be much appreciated indeed.
Thanks

Matt Redz

n3wb
Reaction score
If you haven't. Study the cliff notes in the wiki at top of the page.
Otherwise, search for 5231ze here.
Cheers, the cliff notes are outstanding, very useful indeed. I did some reading on the Starlight range and found the links to the Dahua website via the cliff notes.

Just to confirm if the data sheet says the following (see below on a couple of models) then it supports audio via the ethernet connection and you just select compression type in BlueIris and that will record the audio as well?

DH-IPC-HDW5231R-Z
Audio
Compression G.711a/ G.711Mu/ AAC/ G.726

IPC-HDW5231R-ZE
Audio

Thanks again,

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Cheers, the cliff notes are outstanding, very useful indeed. I did some reading on the Starlight range and found the links to the Dahua website via the cliff notes.

Just to confirm if the data sheet says the following (see below on a couple of models) then it supports audio via the ethernet connection and you just select compression type in BlueIris and that will record the audio as well?

DH-IPC-HDW5231R-Z
Audio

IPC-HDW5231R-ZE
Audio

Thanks again,
The DH-IPC-HDW5231R-Z has been discontinued and the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE is it's replacement.
Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE

And yes that cam has built-in mic and audio. Yes, audio will work fine in BI.