DMSS App: Motion Events don’t always display the Thumbnail

Dave_17

n3wb
Reaction score
I am experiencing an issue with the DMSS app regarding the display of thumbnails for motion events under alarm messages section within the App.

Thumbnails for motion events are inconsistently generated; they typically appear at night between dusk and dawn with a few exceptions, but are generally missing during daylight hours. Interestingly, when I switch the camera settings to black and white during the day, thumbnails start to generate again.

Has anyone experienced this problem with the app?

Just to add both thumbnail events and motion videos are stored and displayed correctly on the NVR itself and can be viewed as usual, therefore it appears to be a combination of the DMSS app and something maybe to do with lighting. Maybe thumbnails generated during the day are bigger due to light saturation? And the app can’t display these.. I have been trying to think out of the box on this one, as know-one knows why this occurs.

Thanks, Dave

Reaction score
I am experiencing an issue with the DMSS app regarding the display of thumbnails for motion events under alarm messages section within the App.

Thumbnails for motion events are inconsistently generated; they typically appear at night between dusk and dawn with a few exceptions, but are generally missing during daylight hours. Interestingly, when I switch the camera settings to black and white during the day, thumbnails start to generate again.

Has anyone experienced this problem with the app?

Just to add both thumbnail events and motion videos are stored and displayed correctly on the NVR itself and can be viewed as usual, therefore it appears to be a combination of the DMSS app and something maybe to do with lighting. Maybe thumbnails generated during the day are bigger due to light saturation? And the app can’t display these.. I have been trying to think out of the box on this one, as know-one knows why this occurs.

Thanks, Dave
I am also experiencing this issue. I have NVR8CH-8P-2AI with several S3 generation cams and iPhone 15 Pro Max on iOS 18. On IVS triggered events, sometimes on the app the thumbnail is just the "generic" image with a lock on it. It's sporadic and happens to all my cams. I can't really say what time of day it occurs because it is so random. This happened prior to the recent iOS 18 update and the recent DMSS update.

When you say "Just to add both thumbnail events and motion videos are stored and displayed correctly on the NVR itself and can be viewed as usual," where are you specifically seeing this on the NVR so I can check that as well?

Dave_17

n3wb
Reaction score
I am also experiencing this issue. I have NVR8CH-8P-2AI with several S3 generation cams and iPhone 15 Pro Max on iOS 18. On IVS triggered events, sometimes on the app the thumbnail is just the "generic" image with a lock on it. It's sporadic and happens to all my cams. I can't really say what time of day it occurs because it is so random. This happened prior to the recent iOS 18 update and the recent DMSS update.

When you say "Just to add both thumbnail events and motion videos are stored and displayed correctly on the NVR itself and can be viewed as usual," where are you specifically seeing this on the NVR so I can check that as well?
Hi, Good to know that someone else is experiencing this problem, as I thought it must be something I am doing :) ... Anyway, if you access the NVR directly through the HDMI connection and go to Alarm section , and at the top of the screen there is a light bulb symbol. If you click on that, it will show you the motion events and jpeg thumbnail. You can connect via the IP web-route, but for some reason it shows slightly different information, so you can only see this directly on the NVR. Do your cameras work if you switch them to black and white? I hope this helps.

Reaction score
Hi, Good to know that someone else is experiencing this problem, as I thought it must be something I am doing :) ... Anyway, if you access the NVR directly through the HDMI connection and go to Alarm section , and at the top of the screen there is a light bulb symbol. If you click on that, it will show you the motion events and jpeg thumbnail. You can connect via the IP web-route, but for some reason it shows slightly different information, so you can only see this directly on the NVR. Do your cameras work if you switch them to black and white? I hope this helps.
OK. I dont ever access access the NVR directly through a monitor but rather through Smart PSS, DMSS, or through IP address.. I can check this out when I get home though. In terms of B&W, it does appear most thumbnails do display properly when the camera is in its B&W period at night, but I cannot say this with any certainty.

Dave_17

n3wb
Reaction score
OK. I dont ever access access the NVR directly through a monitor but rather through Smart PSS, DMSS, or through IP address.. I can check this out when I get home though. In terms of B&W, it does appear most thumbnails do display properly when the camera is in its B&W period at night, but I cannot say this with any certainty.
It's certainly an unusual problem. I also know someone who installs these cameras and they've never heard of this issue before. I am also in conversation with Dahau support on this issue, so hopefully we're able to identify the cause. I am wondering if it has something to do with the file sizes, as during the daytime saturation is high, and that often leads to larger file sizes that could potentially impact Apps ability to display the thumbnail.. Its a bit of out of the box thinking and likely totally wrong , but I have literally tried loads of things , and nothing seems to help , therefore I am trying to get to the route of the issue. I have also tried the DMSS app on the android and it also has the same problem as the iOS version, so I think the App defo plays a part here.

Reaction score
It's certainly an unusual problem. I also know someone who installs these cameras and they've never heard of this issue before. I am also in conversation with Dahau support on this issue, so hopefully we're able to identify the cause. I am wondering if it has something to do with the file sizes, as during the daytime saturation is high, and that often leads to larger file sizes that could potentially impact Apps ability to display the thumbnail.. Its a bit of out of the box thinking and likely totally wrong , but I have literally tried loads of things , and nothing seems to help , therefore I am trying to get to the route of the issue. I have also tried the DMSS app on the android and it also has the same problem as the iOS version, so I think the App defo plays a part here.
Yea Ive pretty much just dealt with it but it is indeed frustrating. From what they long time users on here say, Dahua is knows for their hardware and not necessary the software side in apps and such. That may be part of it. @bigredfish do you have issues with the app described above?

Dave_17

n3wb
Reaction score
Yea Ive pretty much just dealt with it but it is indeed frustrating. From what they long time users on here say, Dahua is knows for their hardware and not necessary the software side in apps and such. That may be part of it. @bigredfish do you have issues with the app described above?
agree, I also think the fact thumbnails seem to display when cameras are switched to black and white mode also point to file-size as a possibility.

I have been trying to find another IOS or MAC app that works with Dahua cameras/NVRs that has the motion / thumbnail functionality as this would be another way to test this, plus would give us an alternative. Hopefully someone on here will have some other ideas / suggestions.

Reaction score
I was poking around the NVR GUI and found something interesting. Channel 4 below is my camera that is NOT producing a proper thumbnail. I am not exactly sure to check to ensure that an "image" is being recorded. Still poking around... Wonder if you check this setting what you see?? @bigredfish @tigerwillow1 , I know you guys having extensive experience with NVR's...any thoughts? TIA

Screenshot 2024-09-25 at 11.24.37 AM.png

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Not sure, you have a much newer NVR. Look in your recording schedule you have Snapshot recording set

Reaction score
hmmm
I suppose you have snapshot enabled on the IVS rule?

View attachment 203725
I did have that enabled and tried it with it not enabled and it made no difference. While Im thinking about it, I turned that snapshot off on one of my other cams and the snapshots still got captured and pushed to the phone. Is that because I have the snapshot schedule also set in the NVR?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
3 places to config snapshot

1- enable snapshots in record mode for the camera
2- record snapshot schedule for your IVS events
3- then Under Camera/Encode tab you can select you snapshot resolutions and frequency

TBH I've never played with snapshots beyond that, they can be searched in theory