Do I need a hardware NVR to record rare motion events?

Infinity7

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

My plan is to install ~10 cameras like Hikvision DS-2CD2042WD-I at a house and record video on motion events to a local HDD/NAS/NVR. No need for continuous recording. The events will be rare (a car drives near the home).

I see two options:
1) Use existing Windows computer, create a separate ~1G HDD partition and use it as a storage for cameras (free)
2) Buy a hardware NVR like HikVision DS-7616NI-E2 + Western Digital WD Purple 4 TB ($350)

Will option 1) be enough in my case? How should I set it up - use iVMS 4200 Server and configure each camera to write on it? I heard that each Hikvision camera needs a separate partition to work and record...

What are real advantages for me in option 2)?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum...the 2042 is a poor camera choice...look for a turret design...
recording to nas is often plagued with problems...
Start reading the forum and learning before dropping all that money..there are lots of threads discussing new setups.

Infinity7

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the fast reply! I looked at the forum for several weeks before posting this message. I haven't found clear consensus on the forum that turret design is better. Mentioned advantages are better IR lightning in case turret camera goes with EXIR technology (DS-2CD2342WD-I) and lower exposure to spiders.

Why turrets instead of bullets?
Hikvision Turret vs Bullet?

Coming back to the NVR question:
- What problems should I expect with NAS? I read a lot of topics with connection problem, but as soon as NAS is connected people seem happy
- Do you mean that I should go with hardware NVR in my case?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the fast reply! I looked at the forum for several weeks before posting this message. I haven't found clear consensus on the forum that turret design is better. Mentioned advantages are better IR lightning in case turret camera goes with EXIR technology (DS-2CD2342WD-I) and lower exposure to spiders.

Why turrets instead of bullets?
Hikvision Turret vs Bullet?

Coming back to the NVR question:
- What problems should I expect with NAS? I read a lot of topics with connection problem, but as soon as NAS is connected people seem happy
- Do you mean that I should go with hardware NVR in my case?
There is a clear consensus that its better when it comes to the ir design of the hikision bullet..spider webs and better IR, less vandal resistant...dont be stupid..there is zero advantage to the bullet.
try the nas and see for yourself..youll be sorry..stop being cheap..either you need recording or not...
You can run hikvisions ivms for free...
also if low light capability is important, these cameras are not for you.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Infinity7,
Welcome to the forum!

I'm not familiar w/ hik cams. In dahua-land, the bullets are available with i/o for;
- an external mic (which generally perform better than internal if audio source is not near the cam) ,
- external alarm input, such as PIR, dual sensor (PIR + radar), laser line, etc.
- Alarm output (strobe light, siren, etc)
Note: Turrets don't usually have those features.

Turrets are good for aesthetics, improved IR, and fewer problems with spiders.
Bullets are good if you need the functionality of i/o. And if spiders aren't a problem near you, or you're able to apply some long-lasting bug repellent. Alternatively, disable the IR in the bullet, and use a separate IR illuminator. See IR Cannon w/Adjustable Focus
Even with a turret, some folks use the IR cannon to fine tune coverage and achieve IR illumination at a longer distance.

Choose wisely, grasshopper! lol

Fastb

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Infinity7,
Welcome to the forum!

I'm not familiar w/ hik cams. In dahua-land, the bullets are available with i/o for;
- an external mic (which generally perform better than internal if audio source is not near the cam) ,
- external alarm input, such as PIR, dual sensor (PIR + radar), laser line, etc.
- Alarm output (strobe light, siren, etc)
Note: Turrets don't usually have those features.

Turrets are good for aesthetics, improved IR, and fewer problems with spiders.
Bullets are good if you need the functionality of i/o. And if spiders aren't a problem near you, or you're able to apply some long-lasting bug repellent. Alternatively, disable the IR in the bullet, and use a separate IR illuminator. See IR Cannon w/Adjustable Focus
Even with a turret, some folks use the IR cannon to fine tune coverage and achieve IR illumination at a longer distance.

Choose wisely, grasshopper! lol

Fastb
Those hikvision bullets do not have alarm io or audio

bambi123

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 3 cams R6 (2 x mini bullet 2042, 1 maxi bullet 2T42) no NAS, no NVR. The motions are recorded successfuly on a PC's partitions.

The only problem I have is that I have to create separate partition for each cam.
It would be ideal if you could simply declare shared folder for each cam but in this case uses the total space of the disk
Actually I had this problem and I learnt a little secret - QUOTA!! if you are using NFS you need to switch over to SMB, and setup seperate 'windows users' on the computer which is hosting the SMB share - and then on the underlying drive set a quota for each of the users. Then enter the users details in to the SMB share setup on the camera, and when you format the storage on the camera it will use the quota for that user as the storage limits.

I created folders for each of the cameras/SMB users which was shared and details entered on the relevant camera.

Hope that helps you.