Does the HDD make any difference?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I dont know where you live but for me its 9.5 cents per kwh. Even if its at 100% usage 24 7, thats 269.81 per year...
I cant save 400 a year if its only costing me 270 a year... And thats at max usage, which is extremely unrealistic.. The realistic usage would be probably 35% of the max usage, which is only 113.75W. Which costs me $94 per year.... Lets say that an i5 machine is so efficient that it is only 20% of the consumption of my machine. 22W. That would cost me $19 per year. An i5 machine with unrealistic efficiency would save me $85. Not 400.... And to be even more realistic with 60% consumption, an i5 machine would save me $24 per year...
once again have you actually tested usage or are you simply guessing...also the relationship between max and partial use is not linear. Seams like you are just making up numbers.
Are you actually paying 9.5 or is that a guess too.
An i5-6500 machine with your load would be at 30-40 percent..using about 30-40w.....
you are paying hundred more a year than you have to running that space heater..how much more, only way to find out is to buy a killawatt meter....

bree810282

n3wb
Reaction score
once again have you actually tested usage or are you simply guessing...also the relationship between max and partial use is not linear. Seams like you are just making up numbers.
Are you actually paying 9.5 or is that a guess too.
An i5-6500 machine with your load would be at 30-40 percent..using about 30-40w.....
you are paying hundred more a year than you have to running that space heater..how much more, only way to find out is to buy a killawatt meter....
Why would I lie? Yes I know the fucking rate of the electric bill I've been paying for 2 years.
Yes I know how much power my machine draws. Like I SAID, I LEAVE MY PC ON 24/7 SINCE IT HOSTS A DNS SERVER. MY ELECTRIC BILL ISNT 180 DOLLARS BECAUSE OF IT. A GAMING MACHINE DRAWS MORE POWER THAN A LOW USAGE SERVER DOES. I leave my fucking air conditioner on 65 degrees all day, I leave all my computers on 24/7, and I have other appliances like a dish washer and a washer/dryer combo. And yet my electric bill doesnt exceed $110. But I'm going to save 400 a year? Show me the universe where that even fucking makes sense?

So can you show me your bachelors degree since you seem to be so qualified and absolutely 100% know for a fact that a dual xeon server will draw more power than an i7 machine? Because you're wrong. You're not in a position to tell me I'm making shit up when you clearly dont know what the fuck you're talking about. Introducing a fucking machine to replace 2 other machines that run 24/7 is going to lower my electric bill. Thats common fucking sense. Xeons are more power efficient than a pentium 2 and an i3. 3 idle hard drives consume less power than 10 idle hard drives spread across three machines do.

I believe I asked whether or not the storage medium mattered, not "Can you cop an attitude over the machine I've decided to build please?"
Sorry I can afford this? Apparently you cant since its such a huge issue for you. Have you never heard of a homelab? Try looking it up. Its not an uncommon thing for people to build servers in their home. I guess google is fucking retarded too for incorporating virtual machines into their servers instead of independently running every single service on a dedicated host. They lose millions when their servers go down. I lose nothing. But I guess you're smarter than the people at google arent you. They should all listen to you and have dedicated servers for each service they run.
But whatever. Im done with this stupid fucking website there's plenty of others. Thanks for the help.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Why would I lie? Yes I know the fucking rate of the electric bill I've been paying for 2 years.
Yes I know how much power my machine draws. Like I SAID, I LEAVE MY PC ON 24/7 SINCE IT HOSTS A DNS SERVER. MY ELECTRIC BILL ISNT 180 DOLLARS BECAUSE OF IT. A GAMING MACHINE DRAWS MORE POWER THAN A LOW USAGE SERVER DOES. I leave my fucking air conditioner on 65 degrees all day, I leave all my computers on 24/7, and I have other appliances like a dish washer and a washer/dryer combo. And yet my electric bill doesnt exceed $110. But I'm going to save 400 a year? Show me the universe where that even fucking makes sense?

So can you show me your bachelors degree since you seem to be so qualified and absolutely 100% know for a fact that a dual xeon server will draw more power than an i7 machine? Because you're wrong. You're not in a position to tell me I'm making shit up when you clearly dont know what the fuck you're talking about. Introducing a fucking machine to replace 2 other machines that run 24/7 is going to lower my electric bill. Thats common fucking sense. Xeons are more power efficient than a pentium 2 and an i3. 3 idle hard drives consume less power than 10 idle hard drives spread across three machines do.

I believe I asked whether or not the storage medium mattered, not "Can you cop an attitude over the machine I've decided to build please?"
Sorry I can afford this? Apparently you cant since its such a huge issue for you. Have you never heard of a homelab? Try looking it up. Its not an uncommon thing for people to build servers in their home. I guess google is fucking retarded too for incorporating virtual machines into their servers instead of independently running every single service on a dedicated host. They lose millions when their servers go down. I lose nothing. But I guess you're smarter than the people at google arent you. They should all listen to you and have dedicated servers for each service they run.
But whatever. Im done with this stupid fucking website there's plenty of others. Thanks for the help.
Because your ip address indicates that your location has a higher rate. I did not accuse you of lying, I simply wanted to make sure you are accurate.
Glad you admit that you did not test your machine rather you rely on your electric bill to make very inaccurate conclusion. Let me help you with basic math. Your electric bill may not exceed 110 monthly but you dont know how much it would be without your power-hog system. 20 dollars a month is 240 a year...you have no way of knowing...you guess. Really not sure why a worthless college degree is relevant here. Yes I know for a fact that your sever will draw much more power than a modern i7-7700. How do I know this? because I have tested modern i7 machines on a killawatt and I know what a dual xeon server with video card will draw...a zeon is NOT more efficient than a modern i3/5/7, not sure what you are smoking...
If you would stop cursing and listen for a minuet you would get proper advice. Its not my fault that you failed to do even the slightest bit of research before buying parts to build a 1200 machine that you cannot afford. Since you are set on using one machine only (despite the fact that 2 machines will consume WAY less power than your server - I have a post about i5-4590 power consumption numbers) What you should do is sell or part out your server and buy an efficient machine. This will save you tons of money in the long run however, it is evident that math is not your strong point.

bree810282

n3wb
Reaction score
Guess what? I think math isn't YOUR strong point.

Moved into my own place with my super massive power hog system. Its running at 112 watts. My eletric bill is 145 dollars.

https://i.gyazo.com/e88a8ce48a5873cc291b4df3cbf6f050.png

Really? I could be saving $600 per year if I didnt build this energy hog? Because according to math it's costing me 100 per year to run. and no, now im not guessing. I'm paying my own electric bill with my server running 24/7.

https://i.gyazo.com/167f7d98a493be4ca212425b62eee4c4.png

"Present reading"

Don't reply when you clearly don't know what you're saying.

"600 a year" lmao idiot.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Guess what? I think math isn't YOUR strong point.

Moved into my own place with my super massive power hog system. Its running at 112 watts. My eletric bill is 145 dollars.

https://i.gyazo.com/e88a8ce48a5873cc291b4df3cbf6f050.png

Really? I could be saving $600 per year if I didnt build this energy hog? Because according to math it's costing me 100 per year to run. and no, now im not guessing. I'm paying my own electric bill with my server running 24/7.

https://i.gyazo.com/167f7d98a493be4ca212425b62eee4c4.png

"Present reading"

Don't reply when you clearly don't know what you're saying.

"600 a year" lmao idiot.
Wrong...you foolishly only entered 16hours a day into the calculator....what an idiot...and that is assuming your 112w is truthful..its not, you are lying...god, if you cant even enter proper data into a calculator, what can you do right? Glad you moved out of your moms basement though...
I hate liars, I hate dumb liars more...stop lying...why dont you actually buy a power meter and check under load...it will be much more accurate than your guessing...save up for it...I know you can do this now that you have your own place and are all grown up.

Last edited: