DS-2CD2232-I5 does not appear in SADP after 5.4.0 Upgrade :(

bigziv

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
I've (stupidly tried) upgrading from 5.2.5 to 5.4.0 downloaded from HIKIVISION site.
The web interface said "Upgrade succeeded" but after reboot, it's a brick... router doesn't recognize it neither SADP.
Tried running the TFTP with 5.3.0 but it's looping "Device[192.0.0.64] test tftpserver" message and nothing happens. PC is set to 192.0.0.128.

Any advice ?

Appreciate your help.
Ziv

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
upgrading from 5.2.5 to 5.4.0 downloaded from HIKIVISION site.
What exact firmware did you use? For a web GUI update?
5.4.0 is available for multiple series, though if it was a web GUI update the wrong series firmware would generally be safely rejected.
My guess would be that maybe the original firmware was a 'hacked to EN' version on CN hardware, such that the applied EN firmware is rejected at bootup with a language mismatch.
But normally that would result in SADP V3.x showing the camera in 'min-system' mode with apparent firmware version 4.0.8
Do you know for sure what the camera region was, was it an 'upgradeable' version, and what did the serial number have in the 4 letters in the middle?

Easy enough to try via the tftp updater would be the CN 5.3.0 firmware from section 06 here : 海康威视——以视频为核心的物联网解决方案和数据运营服务提供商

bigziv

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
Thank you for the reply.
Took the file from the official site, under the camera download section, it was 5.4.0, will check for any additional naming of the file.
I used the web gui and even got "upgraded successfully" message.
I bought it from ebay, so there is a chance it was a 5.2.5 cn that was hacked to en.
The sadp does not show the camera, not sure what min system mode is ?
I don't know the original region but since i got it from China...
I will get home later and try your link.
Do you know of a reason the tftp would not connect ? The one i tried didn't manage to connect, just looped the test tftpserver message.
Tx

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
min system mode
is a recovery mode that's entered after incompatible firmware has been loaded.
A basic kernel, no web services, but normally responds to SADP OK.
This modified firmware has proven quite effective at recovering bricked R0 series cameras : Custom Firmware Downgrader 5.3.0 Chinese to 5.2.5 English
But it may be necessary to change the firmware header language to 2 with Hiktools here : Hikvision FIRMWARE TOOLS - change language, extract files and create own firmware
But either way - the tftp updater needs to work.
'Test tftp server' is good - but it needs to go further.
So a couple of questions:
Is the PC wired, not WiFi?
Is the digicap.dav file in the same folder as the tftpserve.exe ?
And does the Windows firewall have an 'allow inbound' rule for tftpserve.exe ?

bigziv

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for all the data.
Laptop and camera are connected to a switch by ethernet cables.
Also tried to connect directly with regular, not crossover cable, most devices should have auto sensing now days.
Yes , the file digicap.dav is in the same folder but i changed its name to digcap.dav according the readme file, is that a mistake ?
As for the firewall, i clicked "allow" when it asked.
Will try the link you posted soon and report back although i think i tried it but its not going further than test tftpserver.
BTW, Does the test tftpserver message is actually saying the camera has been recognized ?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
digcap.dav according the readme file, is that a mistake ?
That's a typo - should be digicap.dav and we should have had that fixed a while back.
With no digicap.dav file - the tftp updater can't do anything, it thinks there is nothing to transmit.
Hopefully that's the cause of the lack of file transfer.
BTW, Does the test tftpserver message is actually saying the camera has been recognized ?
It's the other way round - the camera probes for the tftp updater with a UDP packet holding a 'magic number', that's the 'test'.
The tftp updater responds with the magic number and normally the file transfer starts.

*edit*
@whoslooking - can you fix the typo? Ta,

bigziv

n3wb
Reaction score
Great news!!! :)
You are right... i changed the file name to "digcap" as it was instructed..while it should have been digicap as it was originally.. some times we should just not "RTFM" :)
Now it's back on with 5.2.5 but in Chinese :)

So now i should change it's IP back to 192.0.0.64 and work with the link you gave me? or is there a 5.2.5 in EN that is already configured ?
"change the firmware header language to 2 with Hiktools here : Hikvision FIRMWARE TOOLS - change language, extract files and create own firmware"

Thanks again!

bigziv

n3wb
Reaction score
UPDATE - Did the hiktools language change to 2, it worked OK, used to chinese web gui to update the camera, worked OK, BUT
When i try to add the camera to the HIKVISION NVR i get a "Language mismatch" message...
What am i doing wrong ?
*Also tried language change to 1, same "Language mismatch" message.

Update2 - After a few hours of trying 5.3.0 and 5.4.0 versions, with or without changing the lang flag to 2 , it seems that they all cause an infinite reboot loop... not sure why ?
The ONLY working rev is the 5.2.5 Chinese with lang flag at 2.

Is there an English digicap.dav that will work on my cam ? couldn't find 5.2.5 EN version to try out.. (i guess it should be a 5.2.5 EN version with lang flag at 2, kind of a hack).

Appreciate the help.

Last edited:

bigziv

n3wb
Reaction score
SOLVED :)
After a night of struggling with firmwares and using the hiktool to change from 1 to 2, it turns out it's not really working.
The only solution was to use the Chinense 5.2.5 from the link (do not change "digicap" to "digcap", it should be digicap.dav)-> Custom Firmware Downgrader 5.3.0 Chinese to 5.2.5 English and MTD hack it later on using the two links below:

Hikvision 5.2.5 & 5.2.8 Full English (INC DAYS OF WEEK) mtd Hack
Video:
MTD HACK made easy on Video

The video is great, a few comments on it:
1. Make sure you grant "write" permission to the windows folders you share.
2. In both MTD 5&6 i changed the least significant digit of the date (i.e. 20141222 -> 20141223) , use the right side panel in the HxD to do that.
3. In both MTD 5&6 i changed from "02" to "01" the 8th BYTE, when you get to the line with SWKH look for the "00 00 00 00 00 01 00 02" , the 02 is in the 8 byte, change it to 01, you need to highlight and type zero,one (not just one).

Thanks toalastairstevenson for the help! and whoslooking for the video!
Great helpers :)

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow! You've been burning the midnight oil - and climbed quite a learning curve - and got where you were aiming for.
Well done!
And thanks for sharing the constructive comments - these will for sure help others.

bigziv

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, i took a while.. to learn the subject :)

So, now, the big question, will all that work on a let's say 5.4.0 Chinese version ?
I mean using the tftp to upload 5.4.0 Chinese and then MTD hack it in the same way ?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I recently installed the R0 5.4.0 and then the 5.4.5 on a 2032 and a 2332 that had the MTD hack - but whether that works ok I think depends on the cameras being 2015 or earlier manufacture. Presumably the version of bootloader installed. I've not seen the bootloader get updated (yet) in a firmware upgrade.

gb7777

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Apologies if this has been covered before, but have been reading the various MTD Hack threads and am not sure. I have seven DS-2CD2132-I that I need to use gmail with and therefore need to run fw =>5.4.0. The specifications are:

Model: DS-2CD2132-I
Region: Brown Box, likely chinese (serial shows RR as running old firmware).
Manufacture date: 05/2013
Shipped FW: v4.0.9_130106
Current FW: V5.0.0 130412 (supplier sent me updated FW some years ago)
Encoding Version: V4.0 build 130411

1) From what I've gathered I should run the MTD Hack, save mtd5 & mtd6 then modify and push back to camera.

2) After this can I simply install firmware from the Hikvision Europe site? Specifically v5.4 or above?

3) Does anyone have link to the correct firmware on the Hikvision Europe site (presuming 1 & 2 above are correct assumptions)?

Thanks

gb7777

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok scratch my previous post. Since we'll be using iOS devices to receive alerts, we can just use push instead of gmail?

So my other question is i've seen mention fw > 5.1.6 has intrusion detection. I couldnt find that version of firmware but grabbed 5.2.5 from the 5.3.0 downgrade threads. However, my camera (have only tested on one) is still not showing intrusion detection options, just standard motion detection. My newer UK cameras running 5.4.4 are showing the advanced detection options.

Is there a way to get intrusion detection on these older cameras? The reason I need it is to separate alerts to mobile from general recording. So my plan would be to use advanced intrusion detection for key areas, giving me an instant alert via push to mobile. And standard motion detection for other areas, where the camera just records to NAS. These recordings can then be looked at if I spot a problem later. Whilst advanced detection alerts me if someone comes to the door for example as i'd want to know about that instantly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

wifi75

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
hello I 've Three camera buy from China model DS-2CD2232-I5 and foirmware version V5.2.5 build 141201

I can update firmware version from Here ?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score

wifi75

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

wifi75

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Follow the step-by-step guide, then watch the video to make any steps clearer.

Have you confirmed these are China region cameras, with CCCH in the serial number?
you want to see my serial number?

Inviato dal mio MI 5s Plus utilizzando Tapatalk

wifi75

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
here is serial number...

DS-2CD2232-I520150301CCCH505316261

Inviato dal mio MI 5s Plus utilizzando Tapatalk