DS-2CD2325FWD-I 2MP Ultra-Low Light Network Turret Camera

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It'd be great if the 3MP Hik looked a little sharper than the 2MP Dahua during the day, but equally as good at night. Guess we'll see. The firmware thing Hik does w/ Chinese models is enough to keep me away, though. :facepalm:

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You mean staying away on principle? The international versions being sold on Ali can be upgraded with the english firmware.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You mean staying away on principle? The international versions being sold on Ali can be upgraded with the english firmware.
Derp. I thought the two you linked to were Chinese versions because when I did a CTRL-F to find the word International on the page, it didn't find it anywhere. I didn't notice (until now) that on the picture of the camera, it clearly states that it's the international version. #mondaymorning

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I am going to purchase one of these mainly because I have a Hikvision NVR. I will buy the 6mm version.

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think Hikvision has been cracking down on it? Also, the Hikvision turrets aren't varifocal, which would explain the cheaper price. We also don't know how they perform yet, so the fewer dollars might be appropriate after tests are run ;).
Yes, that's why I mentioned the missing varifocal and microphone. Nayr tested both the varifocal and fixed lens Dahua 2MP Starlights, the day time pictures with the fixed lens were definitely better. Notice the night comparison with them each using their own on board IR - the varifocal has a "hot spot" in the centre with less coverage on the outer edges. There's another night shot with them both using the fixed lens' on board IR which vastly improves the varifocal's picture. When I had mine set at about 80 degrees the edges of the scene were in total darkness. I'm guessing the lens situation is similar to DSLR cameras- you can find cheapish fixed fast lenses that give excellent results, but zooms in the same price range usually have comparably poor image quality.

I've moved a 2.8mm 4MP Hikvision into the spot where the varifocal Starlight was and overall I get more useful night footage because the IR spread across the FOV is more even.

Bottom line - everyone has different priorities, so each person needs to weigh up what they value more. While I want better low light capability I don't want the day time detail to take a big hit. I've moved the 2MP varifocal Starlight to another position where it's zoomed fully and is covering a long walkway between the house and a high fence. It works very well there. I'm also leaning towards Hikvision due to my NVR being made by them.

I'll try to get a comparison done with the 4MP Hikvision, 3MP Ultra-low light Hikvision and Dahua 2MP varifocal Starlight. The Starlights have an "auto" setting where they determine the shutter speed- I want to compare them all at the same known speed. (1/25 sec as that seems to be the best compromise I've found for exposure vs motion blur on moving subjects.)

Last edited:

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
15 years ago anyone who had cameras up was a drug dealer; but now they got cheap and easy enough anyone can have em... my grandma wants some security cameras.

internet news does alot; social networks like nextdoor make you aware of things you were oblivious too
so do cameras.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I had ordered the 2mp 6mm camera but they said it was out of stock and would be weeks away. However they had the 3mp 6mm camera in stock and will ship it right out and no extra cost. So I went with that one. Should be here by March 30 according to the seller.

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Given the specs I don't see much point in paying only a few dollars less for the 2MP. There is a small difference in FOV for each 6mm version- 52 degrees for the 2MP vs 48 degrees for the 3MP. You'd have to have done some pretty exact calculations for that to bother you.

(While typing the above I received a message that there is no stock and there will be a two week delay. :( )

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I had ordered the 2mp 6mm camera but they said it was out of stock and would be weeks away. However they had the 3mp 6mm camera in stock and will ship it right out and no extra cost. So I went with that one. Should be here by March 30 according to the seller.
Low light performance will not be as good with 3mp as it will be with 2mp.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Low light performance will not be as good with 3mp as it will be with 2mp.
Low-light performance of a 3MP with a 2.8 sensor won't be as good as a 2MP with a 2.8 sensor, but it should still be better than a 3MP with one of the smaller sensors that have been around for awhile though, right?

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just don't confuse running a 3mp camera in 2mp mode as getting better night performance.

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
They're both rated at 0.005 Lux (@f1.2, AGC on) for colour, but I know what you're talking about with larger pixels on the same size sensor being able to collect more light. I'll be happy with sacrificing a bit of low light performance for better daytime detail.

I also wonder what sensor they're using in the 3MP version? Both specs sheets just say "1/2.8" Progressive Scan CMOS".

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
They're both rated at 0.005 Lux (@f1.2, AGC on) for colour, but I know what you're talking about with larger pixels on the same size sensor being able to collect more light. I'll be happy with sacrificing a bit of low light performance for better daytime detail.

I also wonder what sensor they're using in the 3MP version? Both specs sheets just say "1/2.8" Progressive Scan CMOS".
There is virtually zero pixel density gain when going to 3mp.... You cannot perceive a difference ...In the past with hikvision all it meant was getting more vertical fov...

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'll take all the pixels I can get- 50% extra is worth it for my situation.:)

I'm interested to know what sensor they're using - it can't be the same as the 2MP?

PS: In this case 2MP is the normal 1920x1080 vs 3MP 2048×1536, so it is a bigger increase in vertical FOV than horizontal. I can actually see that coming in use given your average person/ intruder is proportionally larger in a vertical direction.

Edit: bad maths!

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'll take all the pixels I can get- 1/3 extra is worth it for my situation.:)

I'm interested to know what sensor they're using - it can't be the same as the 2MP?

PS: In this case 2MP is the normal 1920x1080 vs 3MP 2048×1536, so it is a bigger increase in vertical FOV than horizontal. I can actually see that coming in use given your average person/ intruder is proportionally larger in a vertical direction.
You are missing the point it's not 1/3 extra..You are also completely misunderstanding the vertical increase...It's not any clearer... This is a common newbie mistake...