DS-2CD2335FWD-I - Hikvision Ultra Low Light 3M camera

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have a video of a car they was in but can’t see reg as it’s reflecting and can’t even see the make of the car. Hence just need atleast 2 cams to get good night vision and closer view of the rd
If it's anything like in Australia they'd be using stolen number plates on the car. So getting that info may not be of much assistance.

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This is what I'm using for night settings in colour. (Note: The previous posts I've been mentioning "HLC", I should have said "BLC" - sorry....)

Under "Configuration", "Image" (I'm using "Scheduled Switch" so I can run different settings for day and night.)

"Night"

"Image Adjustment":
Brightness 40
Contrast 20
Saturation 58
Sharpness 50

"Exposure Settings":
Exposure 1/25th

"Backlighting Settings":
BLC Area Auto

"Image Enhancement":
Digital Noise Reduction Expert
Space DNR Level 0
Time DNR Level 35

"Common"
Day/Night Switch
Day/Night Switch Auto
Sensitivity 7 (<- this should leave the camera in colour in low light conditions, switching to IR only if you lose visible lighting)
Filtering Time (minimum) 5
Smart Supplement Light ON
Mode Auto

"System", "Maintenance", "System Service", "Hardware"
Enable IR Light ticked

For the "Day" settings I adjust "Image Adjustment" settings all to around 50% and enable:

"Backlight Settings"
WDR Auto
Wide Dynamic Level 34
(instead of using "BLC" - which can cause massive overexposure of brightly lit objects during the day.)

Kilojade

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This is what I'm using for night settings in colour. (Note: The previous posts I've been mentioning "HLC", I should have said "BLC" - sorry....)

Under "Configuration", "Image" (I'm using "Scheduled Switch" so I can run different settings for day and night.)

"Night"

"Image Adjustment":
Brightness 40
Contrast 20
Saturation 58
Sharpness 50

"Exposure Settings":
Exposure 1/25th

"Backlighting Settings":
BLC Area Auto

"Image Enhancement":
Digital Noise Reduction Expert
Space DNR Level 0
Time DNR Level 35

"Common"
Day/Night Switch
Day/Night Switch Auto
Sensitivity 7 (<- this should leave the camera in colour in low light conditions, switching to IR only if you lose visible lighting)
Filtering Time (minimum) 5
Smart Supplement Light ON
Mode Auto

"System", "Maintenance", "System Service", "Hardware"
Enable IR Light ticked

For the "Day" settings I adjust "Image Adjustment" settings all to around 50% and enable:

"Backlight Settings"
WDR Auto
Wide Dynamic Level 34
(instead of using "BLC" - which can cause massive overexposure of brightly lit objects during the day.)

Thanks mate. Yes I have just bought lock for gates this should keep them Away! And will get steering lock as well didn’t even think about that ;)

That’s great will copy the settings u did then for day and night! Just 1 question the blc in daytime is off? An at night it’s on auto correct?

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just 1 question the blc in daytime is off? An at night it’s on auto correct?
Yes. I found BLC on during the day will totally over expose objects in the sun.

WDR works well (at low levels) during the day (for showing up details in shadows) but I've found it introduces a lot of noise at night.

So try BLC at night and WDR during the day - that's what works best for me. You might find something else works better, but those settings should get you started.

There was a steering wheel lock being talked about on a UK Ford forum that unfolded and cover the whole steering wheel. I don't recall the name of it. It was also quite substantial in weight so you'd not want to leave it in the cabin when driving. Edit- this would be it Disklok

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
One other setting I'm trialing is setting the exposure to 1/100th sec for the Day schedule. It improves the stills and makes details (eg. faces) clearer. In low light it will cause more noise, so I've left "Night" at 1/25th.

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@triumph202 If you set the exposure at 1/25th at night shots it means you do not have enough ambient illumination. The result will be blurring during people motion. especially when the motion direction is across the camera view. When the motion will be towards the camera view, the blurring will not so visible but you will see it more like a smudging. The ideal exposure to avoid blurring and smudging during motion is 1/100th sec. If during night the camera view is dark and noisy then the only solution is to add artificial ambient illumination.

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@triumph202 If you set the exposure at 1/25th at night shots it means you do not have enough ambient illumination. The result will be blurring during people motion. especially when the motion direction is across the camera view. When the motion will be towards the camera view, the blurring will not so visible but you will see it more like a smudging. The ideal exposure to avoid blurring and smudging during motion is 1/100th sec. If during night the camera view is dark and noisy then the only solution is to add artificial ambient illumination.
Yes, I'm aware of the motion blur issues at 1/25th (which is the default lowest speed.) The problem is running 1/50th (or higher) at night reduces the light sensitivity and you can end up with excessive noise- also resulting in a useless image.

For close up subjects it's easier to provide additional lighting and experiment with bumping up the exposure. I don't think my neighbours would be too impressed with me putting lights at at the entrance to my driveway (around 13m from my camera.) I have thought about it more than once. If anyone interferes with the car they will be closer/ better lit and more than likely be slow moving when next to it.

Selecting 1/25th is also only setting the longest exposure speed. I don't think you can determine what the camera is actually using- it will automatically adjust to a shorter exposure in brighter light.

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Kilojade At your first pic with the car, more than 50% of the pic is the shaded patio. The camera tries to expose for that area. Unfortunately it can not cope with the brighter part of the road and hence it overexposes it. If the camera had better WDR range it would be able to cope. Which camera is it? The solution would be to turn the camera in such a way that it covers only the shaded patio. If you want to capture both the area of the road and the patio properly, then it is not possible. You must get another camera with higher WDR and hence more expensive. However, the question would be, which is of higher importance, the road or the car and the patio? You can not have everything always. Put some priorities in your needs.

Kilojade

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks guys. It’s the 4K 2385 turrets.

I have played with them all day tried everything contrast right off ect. Wdr on it takes the sun right out but the picture looks fake lol. Oh or was that blc. 1 of them settings did that anyway

Drive is more important anyway. And the 2335 in the tree covers my road that are good in sun.

Fitted the other 2335 cam last night.
Attached pic. The driveway does reflect the street light abit to much but it will do

As for walking around it’s smooth on standard setting doesn’t blur. Neither do cars driving past :)

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What do cropped stills of faces look like with the current setup? As aster1x mentioned, at the default 1/25th sec exposure you will have some degree of motion blur if anyone is moving- even at walking pace.

BLC - Auto should help with the driveway overexposure. You're going to need some low level light coming from the same wall the camera is mounted on if you want to have any chance of picking up clear facial details. Two floodlights would be best- mounted a couple of metres either side of the camera to minimise shadows.

Is your 2335 a 4mm or 6mm?

Kilojade

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What do cropped stills of faces look like with the current setup? As aster1x mentioned, at the default 1/25th sec exposure you will have some degree of motion blur if anyone is moving- even at walking pace.

BLC - Auto should help with the driveway overexposure. You're going to need some low level light coming from the same wall the camera is mounted on if you want to have any chance of picking up clear facial details. Two floodlights would be best- mounted a couple of metres either side of the camera to minimise shadows.

Is your 2335 a 4mm or 6mm?
I will try get some pics of faces. I tried to upload video of cars going past but files to big.

Yes I tried blc auto but something happens to the picture like all the floor starts moving if that makes sense lol prob coz not enough light like you said.

There all 4mm. Really wanted a 6mm and a 12mm but couldn’t get them in uk

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes I tried blc auto but something happens to the picture like all the floor starts moving if that makes sense lol prob coz not enough light like you said.
Yes, I know what you mean. That can possibly be reduced adjusting the noise reduction- using the Expert setting like I mentioned in the settings previously. The top line (Space DNR) can introduce that "movement" and that's why I leave it set to zero on my cameras.

It's not a big deal if it's only dark areas moving. Hopefully the intended subject will be lighter/ brighter coloured and reflect more light, so be exposed okay. The very end of my driveway has some of the movement, but my favourite neighbourhood stray cat :angry: is white/ ginger and shows up very well in the middle of the dimly lit driveway.