DS-2CD2732F-IS blurry picture - unable to focus

spixel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I just purchased the same camera from the same dealer on amazon. When I installed it and tried to adjust the field of view and came across the same problem. The one adjustment screw with a "T" on one side of it and a "W" on the other didn't seem to adjust the viewing angle but rather the focus. The sweet spot on that focus was extremely small. The other adjustment screw offered no adjustment once loosened. Does this camera, which is advertised as a variable zoom, not have this functionality or am I missing something? I added a picture of the adjustment screws in the link below.

http://s1272.photobucket.com/user/shocktube1/CCTV/story
Yes it is variable zoom. I guess you have tried the other direction? If so, either camera is defective or broken by forcing in wrong direction.

AWDMK4

n3wb
Reaction score
Add me to the list.

Received the same camera for $164.93 from "CCTV security Camera" on Amazon. Brown box, Chinese characters on the case below Hikvision. No matter how hard I've tried I cannot get this camera to focus at distance. Up close ~5ft it's "not bad" but any further it's horrible. My 5 year old Logitech Alert looks better. Issued a refund through Amazon. Disappointed... I know these cameras can do better.

jon102034050

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The camera is just defective. If you get a replacement, I'm sure it'll be fine. My new one is great - still gray market, but great.

shocktube

n3wb
Reaction score
I ended up returning the camera and bought the same model from another dealer. Same problem, the focus adjustment would not move after loosening the screw. This time I put more force into sliding it, than I did with the last one, and it moved. It took enough force that I was half expecting it to break. It would seem that the focus ring sticks which presented another problem. When it does actually break free and move, it jumps rather than sliding smoothly. This meant I kept going back and forth past the point where it focuses until I could get it to stop in the right position. I'm sure there's a spot I could spray some dry lube to get it to operate correctly but after spending too much time focusing it, I just wanted it to be over.

AWDMK4

n3wb
Reaction score
Add me to the list.

Received the same camera for $164.93 from "CCTV security Camera" on Amazon. Brown box, Chinese characters on the case below Hikvision. No matter how hard I've tried I cannot get this camera to focus at distance. Up close ~5ft it's "not bad" but any further it's horrible. My 5 year old Logitech Alert looks better. Issued a refund through Amazon. Disappointed... I know these cameras can do better.

OK folks, 3rd post in this great forum.

My problem has been resolved, I'll explain. After going back and forth via email with the Amazon vendor and getting frustrated with his lack of cooperation in wanting to return the camera and refund my money, I figured I'd mess with the camera settings again. When I installed the camera I wanted the widest viewing angle possible but at this setting, I could not get the lens to focus. After adjusting the lens 1-2mm towards "narrow" I was able to focus and was satisfied with the results. I lost a little angle of view but not worth going through the hassle of returning, especially with a vendor that was difficult to communicate with. English clearly was not his primary language.

Overall I'm happy with the unit and after cleaning the dome and lens I was able to eliminate the IR flare I experienced previously. The resolution is MUCH greater than my old Logitech Alert units (to be expected) but I'm still missing the extremely wide lens (~135 deg) of the old Logitechs. If I had to do it again, I'd buy outdoor turrets instead of domes. To me these seem easier to install and I don't need sound or SD recording (referencing the HikV turrets). I may move this one to another location where I don't need the wider angle and resolution of the new 4MP turrets

I've yet to get install any PVR software but I'm sold on Blue Iris. I need to finish my Dell T20 PVR build and get it running. As of now, since this was just a beta test to see if I liked the camera, I'm just using VLC player to monitor the stream. It looks real good in the day and the IR range and detail is good enough for my application at night.

A few install notes: like other people have mentioned with these units, don't even pull the install template out of the box. Just hold the mounting plate up to where you need it, mark the 4 holes, screw it in, then drill a 7/8" hole in the middle for the cables. Very easy. Before mounting camera to the bracket insert the 4 screws into the O rings in the camera housing to hold them. MUCH easier than trying to get them started on a ladder upside down. Make sure the unit is mounted in a way where you can rotate the camera where you need it. The way I mounted mine, the end of the rotation point was slightly outside of where I really wanted it. Not too big of a deal, you can always unscrew and rotate the housing but plan for it in advance. Before buttoning up, CLEAN the dome in and out and the camera lens with a microfiber. They many look clean but do it anyway, makes a big difference.

Other Thoughts: I've learned my lesson on these Chinese units from Amazon. While you may save a few bucks, for me, it's worth it to buy from a vendor who sells a US branded and supported version. "Milkisbad" will be getting my business next.

Thanks for all for the advice. This is a great forum and I can see a new obsession/hobby developing.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm still missing the extremely wide lens (~135 deg) of the old Logitechs.
Note that logitechs 135 fov is misleading, they use the diagonal fov instead of the horizontal, which is used by hikvision and others...if you run the camera in 1080p mode you will get a bit more horizontal fov, but lose vertical. The image clarity will remain effectively unchanged.

AWDMK4

n3wb
Reaction score
Note that logitechs 135 fov is misleading, they use the diagonal fov instead of the horizontal, which is used by hikvision and others...if you run the camera in 1080p mode you will get a bit more horizontal fov, but lose vertical. The image clarity will remain effectively unchanged.

Fenderman, I stand corrected. To test, I took one of my Alerts outside, placed it on top of a stepladder, about 3' lower and 1' closer than the eave mounted HV. Here is a comparison but you're right, the FOV is about the same. I feel better now. ;-)

Alert:
Alert.jpg

HV:
HV_Dome.jpg