DS-2CD8254FWD-EIZ vs DS-2CD2232-I5 and a couple other Q's

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am upgrading our current CCTV system to IP CAMERAS. Been recommended to use the HIKVISION ones, and i plan on doing it with BLUEIRIS.

Main Question: I am looking at these 2 cameras, the DS-2CD2232-I5 seems popular but the DS-2CD8254FWD-EIZ is listed as Pro, i usually take that to mean business type products. Upon comparing them, I don't see much different (besides the huge price difference,) the 8254 seems to have an auto lens that can change viewing angle, I don't think i need that, and i don't need audio.
Anyone use both of these? Does anyone see a reason to buy the 8254 over the 2232?

A couple other questions...

1) We seem to only get broken into at night, there are some street lights around, etc. But i really need to to work well in the nighttime. Anyone recommend a camera that work's great at night. 15 to 30M is fine, and there is lights on around at night so its not super dark.

2) Do i need cat 6? I see ppl recommending cat 6, but the cameras i saw seem to only have 10/100m ports.

3) It rains a lot and is mildy foggy and pretty humid and the cameras now get hard to see anything in because of the moister in the air. Any good way to combat that (Beside the worlds biggest de-humidifier.)

Thank you

jsan

n3wb
Reaction score
For night time, I suggest you invest some money into a good IR illuminater or have a couple of lights on. Infrared in the camera puts out decent light but if you want even better night time video, you'll need more illumination.

I went with cat5e and cat6 because they didn't have much stock of cat6 cable. There is no quality difference, people recommend cat6 to future-proof your wiring. Wiring is hard and you don't want to upgrade it to cat6 if you get a different camera that cat5e can't keep up with. But that wont be for a while and I'm not sure if any camera will bottleneck cat5e.

CAt5e is also easier to work with, since it's thinner than cat6, it's easier to maneuver it through places, and I have found it easier to terminate cat5e than cat6. Cat6 is thicker and has extra plastic shielding running in the middle of it. It's pretty rigid and I found that it doesn't maneuver well in tight spaces.

For the moisture, you could throw in a couple of those moisture absorbing packs, maybe they'll help? if it starts to get foggy again change out the pack. But if you get a decent outdoor rated camera that has a proper seal, moisture shouldn't get in easily

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Go with the 2232-i5...its will have much better night vision because of its two exir leds...you might also consider this model http://overseas.hikvision.com/en/Products_accessries_159_i5611.html ..there is a 3mp version as well, though native 2mp cameras have better night vision than 3mp..
The most important factor with respect to cable is to by from a reliable source and not use copper clad aluminium (CCA) which is junk. The price difference between cat5 and 6 is negligible..
Dont open the camera to put any packets in, its a waste of time..the camera will be just fine..

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
hard to see anything in because of the moister in the air. Any good way to combat that (Beside the worlds biggest de-humidifier.)
I think he means 'in the open air', not in the camera.
Clue --> "worlds biggest de-humidifier"
We all know how mist looks when there is close strong IR lighting it.

jsan

n3wb
Reaction score
I think he means 'in the open air', not in the camera.
Clue --> "worlds biggest de-humidifier"
We all know how mist looks when there is close strong IR lighting it.
If the issue is fog outside the camera, meaning you live in an area where foggy weather is frequent, then IR wouldn't be as good as a dedicated light. From what I remember on vehicles; You can probably look into light bulb that has less than 3000K temp rating. Probably 2500K, which is a yellow light as seen on vehicles esp. Rally cars.

Bright light that is between 4000K-6500K will be poor in the fog because it will reflect off the moisture/water particles in the air and you would get whiteout. Yellow lights with lower temperature are designed to penetrate the fog so you can see through it.

Reaction score
Thank you all for replying.

At this point i think i will try out the DS-2CD2232-I5 cameras and probably just use cat5e. Looks like it will be good for what we need.
Yeah i wasn't talking about condensation in the cameras i was talking about the outside air/weather. I guess light probably is the best bet there, but we can play with that once the cameras are up.

Thank you again.

Mel42

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The smart series cameras have a defog function, tried it on my DS-2CD4024F and it actually worked
pretty well.

Attachments