duhua or Nest cameras?

paul1983

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey.

So recently we have had two occassions where potential burglars have come to teh garden and just 2 days ago the neighbour windows were smashed & someone went in.

So i am a bit concerned and want to install cameras. not sure whats easiest and fastest option. At work we have nest cameras that look slick and have activity zones etc.. My friend recommened this forum and duhua as being the best but i have no clue..

Any recommendations?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey.

So recently we have had two occassions where potential burglars have come to teh garden and just 2 days ago the neighbour windows were smashed & someone went in.

So i am a bit concerned and want to install cameras. not sure whats easiest and fastest option. At work we have nest cameras that look slick and have activity zones etc.. My friend recommened this forum and duhua as being the best but i have no clue..

Any recommendations?
nest is garbage. Start reading the wiki.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan

Get a monitored alarm system first.

Cameras - Dahua, Hikvision, IPCT ..... International version only, do not buy chinese english hacked cameras.
No wifi
No cloud

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Paul1983,
Welcome to the forum.
Great advice above, esp the ipcamtalk wiki. My 2 cents:

Alarm first. That's Security. Surveillance cams tell you what happened, after the fact, for the most part.
Consider getting a dog. The police will tell you that dogs are an excellent deterrent.
Nest cams have such a wide FOV (Field Of View), that getting a good facial shot for positive Id requires the perp to be within 5 or 8 ft of the cam. Don't buy into the hype that wide FOV lets you see "everything". You'll see "what happened, not who did it", to quote @looney2ns.
And many perps wear a hoodie and/or mask. They know cams may be in place.
Cam placement is critical for the "Face Shot". Place them at "choke points", and low enough to get the face shot.

Keep researching,
Fastb

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
On the dog pov, you could do what I've done if you can't have one / don't want one. Bought the biggest stainless steel dog bowl and rope toy I could find. I roughed the rope toy up a bit by rubbing against a wall to make it look used. I now have the bowl on view in my back yard - I have a steel gate you can see through. I keep the dog bowl filled with water, and when I go out into the garden, I move the toy, dog bowl around by about a foot, with my foot. So if anyone looks in more than once, or regularly, they see the bowl and toy have moved a bit (I move the toy more and further than that the bowl and also make sure it lies different each time, eg streched out, curled up, etc). I move them with my foot for speed and so it also spills a little water from the bowl. Again, looks like a dog's used it as dogs usually chuck water outside of the bowl. Finally, I got a high quality A2 sized screen printed dimetal sign (2 sheets alu bonded onto a foam inner sheet) from Ebay (cost less than a tenner) that says "Beware of the Dog, it Bites!". This is fixed to my metal gate using stainless dome headed bolts thought the front of the sign to 2 bars of 1 inch thick aluminium I drilled through and sprayed matt black on the back side of the gate (bolts sized to match sign thickness + gate gap + 1inch Alu + thread required to seat nuts). I couldn't get nylon lock nuts so I used ordinary stainless and popped some hot glue on the ends to secure the threads). Result, to anyone looking in, I have a huge dog. In other words, how to have a big dog without actually having one.