EBAY COMPUTER WITHOUT OS

Tyyees

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have come across several computers on EBay with no operating systems. They are much cheaper as a result. Fenderman has stated you can usually install an OS, for free, based in the computer previously having an operating system. My question is if you buy one of these machines and it came from a business or government agency would this still work? Does the government or businesses lease an operating system for a set period of time then expire or might it just stay with the computer until death? Ebay sells OS’s for very cheap to regular pricing. Several comments from buyers stated after a period they got a message saying the OS license has expired and a renewal was required.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have come across several computers on EBay with no operating systems. They are much cheaper as a result. Fenderman has stated you can usually install an OS, for free, based in the computer previously having an operating system. My question is if you buy one of these machines and it came from a business or government agency would this still work? Does the government or businesses lease an operating system for a set period of time then expire or might it just stay with the computer until death? Ebay sells OS’s for very cheap to regular pricing. Several comments from buyers stated after a period they got a message saying the OS license has expired and a renewal was required.
The licenses sold on eBay are not legal. If you buy a Dell or HP that is 6th generation or newer it most likely sing with Windows 10 pro installed.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My question is if you buy one of these machines and it came from a business or government agency would this still work? Does the government or businesses lease an operating system for a set period of time then expire or might it just stay with the computer until death?
In order to understand when (and which) Windows OS can be installed on a machine you purchased on eBay (which does not come with an Windows OS installed) you must understand "System Locked Pre-installation" or "SLP" and how it relates to the particular model you have purchased...
  1. System Locked Pre-installation - Wikipedia
  2. slp "System Locked Pre-installation" - Google Search

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Government and Schools have Institutional licensing (for the enterprise stuff) and I can tell you first hand that those USED systems are wiped or hard drives removed and shredded depending on the Department it was in. Law enforcement, D.A. and anything to do with sensitive data is toast. Then they are usually sold on auction sites and refurbished. I know we had a about 200 go last year and that had windows 7 pro COA's on them that were never activated only because we used windows 10. We never scrape the COA's off of them.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
HI @Tyyees

See Q and Chris posts.

imho you should look at the case and see if there is a COA on the case.

If there is a COA on the case you typically can legally install the OS which was included by the OEM with the system. ( MS normally "forces" the OEMs to license the OS for all the PCs / desktops they make for the USA ) While the media may not be included, you often may get the restore media from the OEM for a little $.

If there is no COA on the case you may have some challenges.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Or purchase an original manufacturer's OS installation disk on eBay.
Quite likely to be in the category 'if it seems too good to be true - it probably is'.
Having said that, I've purchased 3 or 4 Windows COA for under 2GBP off eBay to use in Windows VMs and they worked OK and still do.
I was surprised.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Tyyees

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. Tells me it’s not something I want to get involved with.

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
FWIW, you can download W10 from Microsoft, install it and use it, without activating. There are very few limitations on a non-activated install from what I've seen. I've been running one for a couple months now and the only thing I noticed so far is that I can't customize the desktop. It gets Windows updates and all (if you want).

There is no time limit I'm aware of, but MS I suppose could change their mind any time. Worst case then is you'd have to pony up for activation. Until then, if ever, no activation is necessary to install and use.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
FWIW, you can download W10 from Microsoft, install it and use it, without activating. There are very few limitations on a non-activated install from what I've seen. I've been running one for a couple months now and the only thing I noticed so far is that I can't customize the desktop. It gets Windows updates and all (if you want).

There is no time limit I'm aware of, but MS I suppose could change their mind any time. Worst case then is you'd have to pony up for activation. Until then, if ever, no activation is necessary to install and use.
You can't run a VMS hoping you won't be forced to activate when you are away.

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You can't run a VMS hoping you won't be forced to activate when you are away.
That's a good point, but I think it wont actually ever happen considering how long it has been this way slready. It's a possibility vs probability scenario. Possible, yeah, but so are any number of things that could gum up the works. Probable, I think not.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
so I don't have to sweat potential complications with SLP
I've been taking advantage of purchasing used PC's on eBay and installing Windows OS by way of SLP for over a decade...there are no "potential complications" with SLP which I am aware of.