Excessive CPU usage 85-95% constant

dgrhodes

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone, looking for a little advice

I have a Xeon E3 1225 v3 with 20gb of ram, no video card, using about 85-95% cpu usage all the time. Right now I have 9 cameras of varying qualities and brands. Namely, most are Reolink 5mp cameras, the others are hikvision DS-2CD2442FWD-IW 4MP 2.8mm cameras. All are recording direct to disk in blue iris format, set to 15 fps in the camera itself. 5/9 are continuously recording, motion detection is handled by blue iris on all 9. Hardware acceleration is enabled on all 9, no overlays are enabled in blue iris (all date/time stamps are from the cameras themselves.

Is there anything I am missing to reduce my cpu load? Or is my cpu just not up to the challenge of this many cameras?

edit - also, i am running my sever headless, nothing else on that pc, running windows server 2016. When I access it, it is via remote desktop, and the cpu usage percentages correlate when looking at it via the app, web ui, and remote desktop. it also correlates with the resource monitor

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I actually used that optimization page to setup the cameras when I initially set them up. I just went back and looked and don't see that i missed anything
The processor is relatively weak and you have a huge load. If you followed all the suggestions on the wiki, the only other thing you can do is use limit decoding - but read the wiki on it and understand what it does and its limitations.

jbc60

n3wb
Reaction score
This seemed to become a problem, again, the last month. Have: 18 4k cams on 65" 4k display i7 / 1070 Nvidia / 32 megs mem. Cpu just stayed at 99 or 100%. I started looking at it, tried every cpu option, NO, intel, intel+video, intel+something else, and my Nvidia...choosing any option, restarting , made not much difference, Best cpu % was when I had cpu set to Nvidia. Still was too high. But then I found the "preview frame rate", changed that to 7 and cpu went down to 40%....I am happy, again...LOL.....I am a computer guy and a lot of tech is a pain.

jbc60

n3wb
Reaction score
OMG, went up to 18 camera (again) from 16 and my cpu went from 50 to 100.....Finally found ONE thing on this site: On each camera, check "Limit Decoding" and my cpu went down to 10%....

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Limit decoding will keep the cpu down, but it may cause problems with motion detection. It will also go up if you are displaying multiple cameras at a time.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So with my issue (well documented here!)

See post 72 in particular.

I just found out that the two Hikvision cameras I have hooked up are using ~9% CPU via BI, whereas the equivalent 4MP Dahua is using 2.5%.

Just for fun, disable all your cameras except for one Reolink, and ensure the signal coming in from the camera is set up as say a 4MP, 6144 constant bit rate and say 15FPS.

Check the BI CPU usage.

Then disable that camera, and enable a Hikvision and in the back end camera interface check that the bitrate is set to constant, 6144, 15FPS/I-Frame.

Curious to see if the Hiks are power hungry at your end too. Long shot I guess.

Plus I haven't figured out why that's the case foe me!