Eyesurv ION NVR Review

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Backup DVR, that's a pretty good idea, have a box sitting there recording 24/7 and hidden somewhere, also best of both worlds, you can do all the fancy stuff with Blue Iris and basic straight continuous recording with the DVR. I will consider this at some point in the future. I don't understand how hikvision motion detection does not work with the DVR though, isn't it just looking for changed pixels in the video stream? I wouldn't think the camera type would matter?

framednlv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can use Hikvision cameras with the motion sensing software on this NVR yet? Thanks!
Motion didn't work with my "DS-2CD3332-I" and I have to knock the 2048x1536 res down to 1920x1080 other wise it records the second stream at 704x576. I have it setup to record 24/7 on the NVR and record motion to my NAS via NFS.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
So these DVR's must be trying to use the camera's onboard motion detection? I don't know if I'd WANT to use the hikvision's motion detection, it's pretty horrible.

RyanODan

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
No, currently motion is not supported with Hikvision Cameras on the ION. A new firmware is in the making which should allow this.

RyanODan

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Backup DVR, that's a pretty good idea, have a box sitting there recording 24/7 and hidden somewhere, also best of both worlds, you can do all the fancy stuff with Blue Iris and basic straight continuous recording with the DVR. I will consider this at some point in the future. I don't understand how hikvision motion detection does not work with the DVR though, isn't it just looking for changed pixels in the video stream? I wouldn't think the camera type would matter?
It has to do with ONVIF 2.0 compatibility...or uncompatibility as I like to say.

Reaction score
I saw one post regarding not being able to record in 2048x1536 and having to drop down to 1920x1080. Does anyone else have this experience? If you are recording at 2048x1536 what type of frame rate are you getting? Thanks!

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I saw one post regarding not being able to record in 2048x1536 and having to drop down to 1920x1080. Does anyone else have this experience? If you are recording at 2048x1536 what type of frame rate are you getting? Thanks!
Having to drop my video quality to use the DVR? Fail, no thanks. Not to be a snob but if they steal the main box and all I have is crappy backup footage and I can't recognize the person, that defeats the purpose of a backup.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Having to drop my video quality to use the DVR? Fail, no thanks. Not to be a snob but if they steal the main box and all I have is crappy backup footage and I can't recognize the person, that defeats the purpose of a backup.
Many of us are recording our 3mp Hikvisions at 2mp to capture a wider angle. I would hardly say that 1080p is crappy imagery. At $90 bux that NVR is a great 24/7 backup, and a super value.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Many of us are recording our 3mp Hikvisions at 2mp to capture a wider angle. I would hardly say that 1080p is crappy imagery. At $90 bux that NVR is a great 24/7 backup, and a super value.
Correct, it's not "crappy" but what is the point of buying a 3mp camera and then running it at 2mp, might as well buy a 2mp camera. But to each his own. :)

framednlv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If I had to do it over (on a budget)...
I would buy only camera(s) that supports recording/snapshot for fulltime and/or motion detection via ftp. Then setup a NAS or computer system as ftp server to receive video & snapshots. Add (mapped drive) a computer if NAS was used, that would delete old files on a time schedule. That way the camera(s) are doing all the work, that is already built in, with very little work from a computer.

Something like that, but the NVR isn't really needed.

I have three of my cameras (dahua, empire & aote) saving motion detection snapshots directly to my computer via ftp. Every day I review the snapshots so I don't have to deal with the NVR recordings (to timely). I use the NVR for 24/7 recording, with motion detection from the dahua & empier, in case I miss something with the motion detection.

If I get a chance I'll setup a computer for full time recording via ftp to see what the overhead is. Has anyone tried it?

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
If I had to do it over (on a budget)...
I would buy only camera(s) that supports recording/snapshot for fulltime and/or motion detection via ftp. Then setup a NAS or computer system as ftp server to receive video & snapshots. Add (mapped drive) a computer if NAS was used, that would delete old files on a time schedule. That way the camera(s) are doing all the work, that is already built in, with very little work from a computer.

Something like that, but the NVR isn't really needed.

I have three of my cameras (dahua, empire & aote) saving motion detection snapshots directly to my computer via ftp. Every day I review the snapshots so I don't have to deal with the NVR recordings (to timely). I use the NVR for 24/7 recording, with motion detection from the dahua & empier, in case I miss something with the motion detection.

If I get a chance I'll setup a computer for full time recording via ftp to see what the overhead is. Has anyone tried it?

It's just a file transfer like anything else, should not be any different than pointing to a NAS drive, except your using the file transfer protocol instead of SMB.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Correct, it's not "crappy" but what is the point of buying a 3mp camera and then running it at 2mp, might as well buy a 2mp camera. But to each his own. :)
The point is that some cameras are not available at 2mp or the price is the same for 3mp vs a comparable 2mp. You get more coverage area with the Hiks in 2mp mode, its simple as that. The 3mp is not really 3mp and there is very little benefit over the 2mp....I prefer having the wider field of view. There is a reason all cameras have a drop down menu allowing the selection of resolution.

Reaction score
I picked up an 8 channel Eyesurve ION NVR from Nelly's to run as a back up to my Blue Iris machine and have to say that I am really happy and impressed with its performance. I'm recording 6 Hikvision cameras 24/7 (5 2032 bullets and 1 exir). This NVR is compatible with Hikvision, EYEsurv and Dahua IP cameras but currently does not record on motion with Hikvision cameras. I picked up a 3 TB hard drive and a cheap wireless mouse to compliment it and so far this little guy has been perfect! I highly recommend it as a backup NVR. It is small and easy to hide and also has an Android an iPhone app which allows you to view recordings and live cameras. It needs to be plugged into the wall for power and also into your router / switch.

Parts
-ION NVR
-Seagate SV35 3TB Surveillance drive
-Wireless mouse

The app app that I use witht his NVR is called vMEyeSuper.
-Android
-iOS
So ... what do you mean that it doesn't record in motion? when a person move he doesn't record ... But if you put it to record 24/7 is gonna by a problem or will just record normally

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It can only record 24/7. I cannot use the motion detection inside the camera to only record on motion. Its good for backup, but for a main NVR its a problem because you will have tons of footage to look through.

Reaction score
Doubt Solved

It can only record 24/7. I cannot use the motion detection inside the camera to only record on motion. Its good for backup, but for a main NVR its a problem because you will have tons of footage to look through.
That's is enough for me, thanks so much for clear me out this doubt

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
That's is enough for me, thanks so much for clear me out this doubt
Like @fenderman said, it will record continously (24/7) on Hikvision cameras. It currently does motion for Dahua and Eyesurv cameras and there is a firmware update in the works that will support motion on Hikvision cameras.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks mike, did not know about the coming firmware update.

RyanODan

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to the new firmware setting it above the rest of basic backup recorders. For now, we have a new firmware out which adds better ONVIF compatibility with different cams. Still no motion with Hik Cams as far as I know.

Attachments

Beemer533

n3wb
Reaction score
I just purchased an Hikvision 2CD-2532 mini dome that I will be using to monitor my front entry. What I need is a way to just switch inputs on my TV and have the camera feed come up so I can see who is there... If I connect the ION to an HDMI port on my TV, does the ION just display video, or does it require any keyboard or mouse input do display the single feed? Once set up for this camera ( I have several other cameras, but plan on only setting up the one camera with the ION) I don't plan on having any keyboard or input device connected to the NVR.

I have a separate system that will be doing recording so all I need the ION to do is display the one feed on the television. Does this make sense, or is there something else out there that might be better for what I need? I did look into using some sort of mini pc, like a rasberry Pi or android based pc, but it seems like it might not be as clean of a solution as this.

Any input would be very helpful!!