Eyesurv ION NVR Review

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just purchased an Hikvision 2CD-2532 mini dome that I will be using to monitor my front entry. What I need is a way to just switch inputs on my TV and have the camera feed come up so I can see who is there... If I connect the ION to an HDMI port on my TV, does the ION just display video, or does it require any keyboard or mouse input do display the single feed? Once set up for this camera ( I have several other cameras, but plan on only setting up the one camera with the ION) I don't plan on having any keyboard or input device connected to the NVR.

I have a separate system that will be doing recording so all I need the ION to do is display the one feed on the television. Does this make sense, or is there something else out there that might be better for what I need? I did look into using some sort of mini pc, like a rasberry Pi or android based pc, but it seems like it might not be as clean of a solution as this.

Any input would be very helpful!!
That should work. That's a good idea

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
I just purchased an Hikvision 2CD-2532 mini dome that I will be using to monitor my front entry. What I need is a way to just switch inputs on my TV and have the camera feed come up so I can see who is there... If I connect the ION to an HDMI port on my TV, does the ION just display video, or does it require any keyboard or mouse input do display the single feed? Once set up for this camera ( I have several other cameras, but plan on only setting up the one camera with the ION) I don't plan on having any keyboard or input device connected to the NVR.

I have a separate system that will be doing recording so all I need the ION to do is display the one feed on the television. Does this make sense, or is there something else out there that might be better for what I need? I did look into using some sort of mini pc, like a rasberry Pi or android based pc, but it seems like it might not be as clean of a solution as this.

Any input would be very helpful!!
The iON will stay on whatever screen you leave it on last. So if you leave it on the view all cameras screen (which I do), when you select the iON input on your TV (HDMI), it will show you a view of all the cameras. This is how I leave mine so I can quickly push the HDMI 3 button on my TV, although I have a cheap wireless mouse that I also use which works across the room and through the secret compartment the NVR is in ;)

framednlv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have mine connected to my AV via HDMI then to the TV. Once the output display is setup you wouldn't need to change anything. The picture would be always on with the exact setting you left it at. The NVR does come with a remote, at least mine did, but I found a wireless mouse works better.

I could hook up my android tablet to the TV to see how it compares to the NVR, but I'm sure the resolution is better on the NVR as it looks pretty clean on a 60" TV.

Beemer533

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! Sounds like the ION will work for what I need. Does this come with a remote? I didn't see any mention in the description..

RyanODan

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Hey Beemer,

You can set a single camera screen with the ION.

Basically:

-add the IP camera

-switch view to single screen

-in the main menu go to Settings -> Advanced -> Auto Maintain.

-in Auto Maintain set the ION to never reboot, otherwise it defaults to the 8 camera view I believe.

The only time you would need a keyboard and mouse would be for the initial setup.

Once all that is complete all you need to do is switch to your HDMI input on your TV to view that camera.

Last edited:

Beemer533

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks; I just ordered the ION from Nelly's, so I should be able to get that going in the week or so.

I also just got the rest of my cameras this morning, so I will be working on that for the next few days anyway..

RyanODan

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Beemer533

n3wb
Reaction score
Guys, I got my ION all set up and connected to my TV via HDMI. I haven't installed a HDD as I don't plan on recording.

It was working working fine initially, but yesterday it started beeping every 30 minutes or so.. Still seemed to be working though. But this morning the beeping continued and the display seems blank (TV shows it has an input, but nothing at all on the screen). When I reboot the ION, I get the colored bars followed by the blue logo for a minute.

After the logo goes away, I briefly see the display come up as I last set it (1 camera view), but it disappears and the screen goes black within a second or 2. Hitting any of the buttons on the ION or using the mouse doesn't seem to have any effect.

Is anyone else seeing this? Do the beeps indicate anything?

Unfortunately, I've had a last minute work trip, so I won't be able to try anything for a week or so.. But any input would be great! TIA..

RyanODan

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Beemer, usually the beeping can be due to an ip conflict, no hd, and a few other things. Try logging into it using Internet Explorer. If you can check the firmware and make sure it is the newest one.

How many cams are you running on it?

What are the bitrates set at for the cams?

Beemer533

n3wb
Reaction score
Hmm, I think the ip is good, but I can double check.

As far as cameras go, I have 2 and I am pretty sure they are set at 1080p@15fps each..

Beemer533

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! I finally got back in town from work so I could figure this out.. I spoke to someone at Nelly's and we sorted it out..

Short story is, one of the 2 camera I had connected to it somehow got set back to 3mp resolution.. This caused the nvr to constantly reboot... Very strange behavior, but it seems to be working fine...

Scarrz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can anyone advise if they have had success with any other apps for the EyeSurv NVR. I am currently using VMEyeSuper which works fairly well other than the annoying ads. Wondering if IDMSS Lite works or any others. thanks.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Can anyone advise if they have had success with any other apps for the EyeSurv NVR. I am currently using VMEyeSuper which works fairly well other than the annoying ads. Wondering if IDMSS Lite works or any others. thanks.
I haven't had much luck with any other apps. I primarily use it on my Galaxy S4 which is rooted running AdAway so I don't see the ad. If you are willing to root your phone then you can avoid the ad.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Awesome! This will free up a laptop i have just displaying to itself and another monitor across the room.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Just wanted to update everyone to let them know that it's been 7 months since I purchased this NVR and it has been rock solid. I have not powered it off at all (it's connected to a UPS system) and it hasn't skipped a beat. I am extremely happy with my purchase and purchased another one for my work, which already paid for itself. We had a couple of dirtbags vandalize the front of the building and the iON caught them in action. I called my friend who is a detective, gave him the videos and they caught them. It just so happens that the same punks were on a bit of a vandalism spree in town too.