Eyesurv ION NVR Review

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
I picked up an 8 channel Eyesurve ION NVR from Nelly's to run as a back up to my Blue Iris machine and have to say that I am really happy and impressed with its performance. I'm recording 7 Hikvision cameras 24/7 (5 2032 bullets, 1 exir and 1 cube). This NVR is compatible with Hikvision, EYEsurv and Dahua IP cameras but currently does not record on motion with Hikvision cameras. I picked up a 3 TB hard drive and a cheap wireless mouse to compliment it and so far this little guy has been perfect! I highly recommend it as a backup NVR. It is small and easy to hide and also has an Android an iPhone app which allows you to view recordings and live cameras. It needs to be plugged into the wall for power and also into your router / switch. Currently the NVR does not record in 3MP but it will in 1080P.

Parts
-ION NVR
-Seagate SV35 3TB Surveillance drive
-Wireless mouse

The app app that I use with this NVR is called vMEyeSuper.
-Android
-iOS

I also use the desktop CMS software to view the live feed and recordings
- Windows

Here are a few pictures of it, business card to show the size. All it requires is power and internet access via hard wire (regular RJ45 connector).
20140815_150615-1.jpg 20140815_150624.jpg

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is eyesurve rebranded Dahua? I think it might be? Is that app IDMSS?

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Is eyesurve rebranded Dahua? I think it might be? Is that app IDMSS?
I don't believe this particular NVR is a re-branded Dahua. The app is vMEyeSuper, I will update the first post with links to it :D

RyanODan

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
All EYEsurv products except for the ION are all re-branded Dahua. The ESDV-NVRION-8 is a great NVR for backup, not only is it VERY "cost effective" for recording IP cams but it also can do motion with almost all Dahua cams. For a $90 NVR it's a really good deal. I just got mine a few days ago, installed the HDD last night, should have it up and running soon.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I dont care foe the web interface but it seems solid to me.

framednlv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have the same NVR and it is a nice & simple recorder. The motion detection works with the Dahua and Empire camera but not the Aote, IPS or Hikvision. It was able to find and automatically configure all of them with the ONVIF protocol except the Empire was automatically configured to netip protocol.

Mike,

Were you able to get the email notification working for video loss?
I setup a gmail account and the test works. When I unplugged a couple of cameras I didn't get any notification.

After thought, the Empire camera has the same interface as the NVR (not that pleasant to use).

Last edited by a moderator:

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have an Empire IP bullet camera brand new if anyone wants it. I'll let it go pretty cheap. :)

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
I have the same NVR and it is a nice & simple recorder. The motion detection works with the Dahua and Empire camera but not the Aote, IPS or Hikvision. It was able to find and automatically configure all of them with the ONVIF protocol except the Empire was automatically configured to netip protocol.

Mike,

Were you able to get the email notification working for video loss?
I setup a gmail account and the test works. When I unplugged a couple of cameras I didn't get any notification.

After thought, the Empire camera has the same interface as the NVR (not that pleasant to use).
I haven't configured this yet but I will and will let you know the outcome.

framednlv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I got home and did the update. This was only after I figured out I had to rename the zip to a bin file.

After the update I unplugged the cameras and the notification worked. This will help one of the cameras I have connected to a wifi adaptor and I never know if it lost connection.

Now just need to see if the update helps with motion detection on my non-dahua cameras.

Thanks.

framednlv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
On this NVR under record there is a check box for redundancy, what does it do?
nvr-redundancy.JPG

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
I got home and did the update. This was only after I figured out I had to rename the zip to a bin file.

After the update I unplugged the cameras and the notification worked. This will help one of the cameras I have connected to a wifi adaptor and I never know if it lost connection.

Now just need to see if the update helps with motion detection on my non-dahua cameras.

Thanks.
How did that go? I am still recording non-stop with my Hikvisions too.

On this NVR under record there is a check box for redundancy, what does it do?
View attachment 144
That's a good question, I'm sure someone will chime in and answer :D

RyanODan

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
If you have multiple hard drives you can have the NVR record the same video to both drives. The ION can only take one HD so it doesn't really apply here.

framednlv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks Ryan.

Any Chance you have a good description of the netservices? I put a red line next to the ones I don't have any clue how they work.

nvr-netservices.JPG

JMan

n3wb
Reaction score
Can CMS be used in conjunction with a PSS on an analog system? I thinking of a poor man's hybrid where I hook up the ION to the same switch as the 4 Ch analog Eyesurv and view both systems on PSS over the network. If not can I do this with the other Eyesurv's NVRs?

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Can CMS be used in conjunction with a PSS on an analog system? I thinking of a poor man's hybrid where I hook up the ION to the same switch as the 4 Ch analog Eyesurv and view both systems on PSS over the network. If not can I do this with the other Eyesurv's NVRs?
Sure you can, you can have a dozen if you wanted as long as they are all on different ports. Other question that maybe Ryan or vector (or anyone else) can answer is can you use the eyesurv dvr as an encoder for the ion like you can on the eyesurv standard nvrs

RyanODan

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
The ION channels most likely won't display in PSS due to the ION not being a Dahua product (The only EYEsurv that isn't Dahua). Yes, you can do it with any other EYEsurv NVR. I don't think you can use the EYEsurv DVRs as encoders because they would be displaying a highest resolution picture than the analog DVR can take. I'll have to test this out sometime.

RyanODan

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks Ryan.

Any Chance you have a good description of the netservices? I put a red line next to the ones I don't have any clue how they work.

View attachment 145

I know the mobile monitor is a port you have to forward to have the ION viewable on your cell phone. The ION does have cloud recording, however, it doesn't work real great and has a little bit of a learning curve.

Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can use Hikvision cameras with the motion sensing software on this NVR yet? Thanks!