Failed Motion Detection - Car broken into...

corkangel76

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I will in my "spare time"... Ive got a bad taste in my mouth about BI right now, and am going to let it lie for a few days before I pick it back up.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I will in my "spare time"... Ive got a bad taste in my mouth about BI right now, and am going to let it lie for a few days before I pick it back up.
Its impossible to make glitch free software ...I can tell you from experience with many machines that is simply runs great...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
No impossible, just expensive to do.
It's impossible.. There are too many permutations of devices and drivers in a windows machine... Even with a custom OS, it's impossible to account for every situation.. It's a fact of any design...

Sent via Taptalk

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I guess this is what I get for only recording on motion versus 24x7? I feel like an A$$ cuz now I can't help my neighbor with any sort of footage to turn over to law enforcement.

:mad-new:
This is precisely why I record 24/7. I actually learned this when a neighbor put a sign on my car one night and didn't catch it. He did it for fun and it was a joke, but it was a good trial run.

Recording on motion is nothing more than a convenience to make it easier to see what went on, but it is a major security hole due to unreliable detection. I have my cameras recording 24/7 but I also have motion detection to take images. I can use these images sometimes to help find out when an event happened (I don't use any video recording software--just what's on the hikvisions), but they are only a supplement.
This is the first time anything bad has ever happened up here on my street and I'm sorta rattled over it.
No need. I live in a very safe area with essentially no crime, and even in the decade in this spot we've had cars broken into one night (a bunch of them), and then again one car a couple of years ago for a stereo. In all cases cars were opened if unlocked (including mine hehe); no windows broken. I just assume they were teens who live in the area looking for quick cash. There is a major difference between going into cars looking for spare change and entering homes, and the latter hasn't happened and is the only thing that really should worry a person.

As far as software is concerned, in theory it's not possible to make perfect software, though for its practical use it can be done. Case in point windows calculator. I'm sure if you spent enough money on it you could find a bug and cause it to create a bad result, but it works for what we need.

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I do not use BI, I use Exacq and it uses the motion detection built into the Hik cameras and it works great. It is in fact the best motion detection on any of the cameras I have, though it is almost overly sensitive as I have to keep the motion detection set to "1" in Exacq and it works perfectly. Once you get 100 feet away is is more tricky I suppose for people on foot but it still does really well.

I have no complaints, and in fact cannot wait for the 9 3mp ACTi cameras at my house to die so I can replace them with the more sensitive Hiks. They may well be "broken" here soon regardless....

Last edited by a moderator:

toomscj7

n3wb
Reaction score
Storage is so cheap these days I think 24x7x365 is the way to go.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing your story with us, @corkangel76. I have, since reading your post, set all of my cameras to record 24/7 since storage is so cheap these days. Now BI does 24/7 and marks the events by motion in the timeline allowing for me to easy comb through events, but never missing a beat.

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I require at least 90 days of footage, and I have 1,100 cameras. Motion is my only option lol. I am still roughly at 500 terabytes, need to figure up how much I'm using really one day when I bored. (which is rarely...)

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Totally sucks that, sorry to hear it.

My cameras are always slightly too sensitive rather than being slightly under sensitive. If you have no false motion detections then you're also more likely to miss a real motion detection event. It's easier to fast-forward through one or two extra false positives a day then playback an event that wasn't recorded!

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
when I added the cloned camera to run 24x7, it drove my CPU up to 92% with one of my 5 cameras... meh. I bought a cheap eyesurv $99 NVR, locked it away in a closet and have it recording 24x7.
Rather than cloning the camera, on the Record tab, set Video to Continuous, and on the Motion/Trigger tab, enable and configure the motion sensor apropriately. My i5-4690K with 4x1080p, and 2x720p, is sitting at <50% CPU, recording all cameras 24x7, with me in the BI console, connected via Teamviewer, and a rain storm triggering all of the exterior cameras pretty much continuously.

When I close the console and drop the Teamviewer connection, the Android app shows CPU at ~18%.

id5

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It's impossible.. There are too many permutations of devices and drivers in a windows machine... Even with a custom OS, it's impossible to account for every situation.. It's a fact of any design...

Sent via Taptalk
If you were correct then an assembler level register add command would occasionally fail to do 1+1=2, it does not because the on chip microcode function that the assembler calls has been created and tested to be error free. The same can be done to assembler and higher languages, it will be expensive and it might be impracticable but it is not impossible.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If you were correct then an assembler level register add command would occasionally fail to do 1+1=2, it does not because the on chip microcode function that the assembler calls has been created and tested to be error free. The same can be done to assembler and higher languages, it will be expensive and it might be impracticable but it is not impossible.
A human still has to account of every practical possibility in a complex system. There are simply too many permutations to test every single one. It would take longer than your lifetime. Regardless, it has never been done to date. The point is it does not exist in the realm of VMS software.

id5

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
A human still has to account of every practical possibility in a complex system. There are simply too many permutations to test every single one. It would take longer than your lifetime. Regardless, it has never been done to date. The point is it does not exist in the realm of VMS software.
Your statement was that it was impossible to make glitch free software all I was doing was pointing out to you that the statement was false.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Your statement was that it was impossible to make glitch free software all I was doing was pointing out to you that the statement was false.
It's not false.. It's is impossible to test all permutations...There is simply not enough time to test. There is always someone who likes to play a worthless semantics game.

Sent via Taptalk

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The thing about glitch free software though is like proving a negative. The best you can do is test for all scenarios you're able to think of, but until all permutations possible have been tested you will never be able to bet everything on it. I wouldn't bet $10 vs the end of the known universe that the add command mentioned above could not result in a 3 under a certain scenario; some new variable introduced that hasn't been considered.

id5

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It's not false.. It's is impossible to test all permutations...There is simply not enough time to test. There is always someone who likes to play a worthless semantics game.

Sent via Taptalk
Go and research dependable computing and then you will understand how to construct error free code and how there is enough time to test.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Go and research dependable computing and then you will understand how to construct error free code and how there is enough time to test.
Like I said, there is always one or more of these on every forum..it cannot be done on a complex system, the can strive for it, but it cannot be done with certainly.