First Time Cam/Security Install Planning

Ethernaught

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had to replace my modem (nothing fancy, ISP newer model). It appears that the subnet mask address is just slightly different. Anything I need to do about this? Do I need to open that configtool and change that to the newer subnet mask that is showing on my model config page?

Ethernaught

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
On the cameras own ipcamera software, under network>tcp/ip, it shows some information. It lists the subnet mask there as what I originally entered (when initializing the camera) in the configtool, which was what my modem config page used to show.

Edit: I can still access the camera by visiting the ip address I set up. I'm not even sure what a subnet mask is.

Last edited:

Ethernaught

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Which switch is 'better' (pros/cons):

The mokerlink is faster; 1000M on the poe ports (not necessary for ip cams?). I like the "auto reconnect", and being able to plug non poe devices into the ports without destroying them. Sounds like ports can be isolated (by software?).
The tp-link is slower (don't think this matters for/if cameras only?). I like the three physical switches for extend, isolate, and recovery modes, and how the extend switch has an option to only affect half of the ports or all the ports. I don't know if the tp-link can have non poe devices plugged in.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
They all will allow nonpoe devices to be connected without destroying them. Part of the circuitry is to see if it needs power.

Most will favor the 1GB just because LOL.

Most will stay away from non-name brand.

Ethernaught

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm seeing a lot of advertising of the "feature" of not harming a non-poe device if plugged in...
And it is just that - "Advertising" and marketing. Usually thrown in when someone doesn't know any better to try to convince them to buy the no-name device....

Any POE that follows the IEEE 802.3af, IEEE 802.3at and IEEE 802.3bt standards (which if they don't then you don't want) will self regulate if the device needs power or not.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Stick with Gig switches and brands such as Tp-Link, Netgear, cisco, HP, etc.
The not harming is simply marketing to make you think its better than others.

Ethernaught

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
And it is just that - "Advertising" and marketing. Usually thrown in when someone doesn't know any better to try to convince them to buy the no-name device....

Any POE that follows the IEEE 802.3af, IEEE 802.3at and IEEE 802.3bt standards (which if they don't then you don't want) will self regulate if the device needs power or not.
Really? Damn, I hate that. Because now I keep imagining myself plugging something else into a port and ruining it.

So those 'standards' are very important to be met, then.

Sounds like maybe I'd be more than good with this one by tp-link: What do you think? If I get it on .com I can get it for just barely over $100 CAD.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Ethernaught

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Stick with Gig switches and brands such as Tp-Link, Netgear, cisco, HP, etc.
The not harming is simply marketing to make you think its better than others.
Ok, gotcha on the brands. I was drawn to that MokerLink.
So if I can find out which is the "Gig" version of the tp-link model I just posted that'd be a good one to check out.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I was disafuckingppointed by the Fast Ethernet (10/100) switch with 1 Gbps up link...i got from Amazon, Yuanley brand.
But then I learned from the guys my 410 NVR is a bag of shit with an 80 Mbps cap...on a fucking 8 port Poe,.,,,,,what a load of shitty hardware.
I went Cisco Enterprise Used from Ebay with Gigabit for all the fucking ports all the fucking time. And yes the IEEE standard is to allow the negotiation of devices Requiring Power or No power to acknowledge thru a handshake of sorts, what they need to co-exist happily. It's not a super cool benefit of one super duper ( heavy on the "dupe") brand of switch.

Ethernaught

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There was a thread, or a post within a thread maybe, that I can't find right now, where someone had asked about having there POE switch outside in an enclosure and if that was ok. I seem to remember several (experienced) members telling the person that "yes, you can do that" and that they have/had done it.
I just want to double check if this is ok. If I bought a POE switch (nothing specifically for outdoor), and mounted it in some kind of outdoor enclosure, say on the side of the house, and ran ethernet to that, then could I just use that POE switch to run any camera runs from the enclosure (either using outdoor rated cat5 or just standard cat5 but inside conduit or something)?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There was a thread, or a post within a thread maybe, that I can't find right now, where someone had asked about having there POE switch outside in an enclosure and if that was ok. I seem to remember several (experienced) members telling the person that "yes, you can do that" and that they have/had done it.
I just want to double check if this is ok. If I bought a POE switch (nothing specifically for outdoor), and mounted it in some kind of outdoor enclosure, say on the side of the house, and ran ethernet to that, then could I just use that POE switch to run any camera runs from the enclosure (either using outdoor rated cat5 or just standard cat5 but inside conduit or something)?
Yes, but, be aware of this: Into the Great Outdoors: Running Ethernet Cable Outside

mattp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The first link lists 500ft of cat 6 for $160 vs $150 for cat 5e.

IIRC, cat 6 may give you more headroom for later for a small amount more money, now.

I'd probably run cat 6 if I could. Anyone want to list any downsides of using 6 over 5e?

Ethernaught

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The first link lists 500ft of cat 6 for $160 vs $150 for cat 5e.

IIRC, cat 6 may give you more headroom for later for a small amount more money, now.

I'd probably run cat 6 if I could. Anyone want to list any downsides of using 6 over 5e?
I'm not too worried about the cat5e (over cat6), it's just the different "brands" and "water proofing" for outdoor/direct burial that I'm wondering about. The quality of the cable.

mattp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
There are a couple of problems.
While the first appears to be CMX (whatever standard that is), it is UL listed which means it's tested to some type of standard. However, it appears not to be UV rated, if that's important.
The second appears to actually be cat 5, not cat 5e as one of the reviewers noted. And sure enough, if you look at the picture it shows cat 5.

I bought my ethernet cable from Monoprice. But it appears that they don't sell direct bury. Maybe someone on here can suggest where to buy from a reputable company?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There are a couple of problems.
While the first appears to be CMX (whatever standard that is), it is UL listed which means it's tested to some type of standard. However, it appears not to be UV rated, if that's important.
The second appears to actually be cat 5, not cat 5e as one of the reviewers noted. And sure enough, if you look at the picture it shows cat 5.

I bought my ethernet cable from Monoprice. But it appears that they don't sell direct bury. Maybe someone on here can suggest where to buy from a reputable company?
I did above, www.truecable.com.