First Time Cam/Security Install Planning

Ethernaught

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I ordered a 5442-ze last night.
Yea, wifi is something I've known I wanted to avoid. I know about vivint too, their sales tactics, etc. It must be quite easy to install their systems (I watched a couple videos way back when I was early in my research. Heard some bad stuff about them). I have 'studied' the cliff notes, most/many parts of it anyways. Excellent resource.
In all likelihood it is a 2.8mm wide angle see everything type camera that is on a less than ideal MP/sensor ratio (camera spec probably just says 4K with no mention of sensor size) that will simply let them know what time something happened....maybe...wifi tends to go out with motion.
That's probably the case.
It is totally fine having your first camera be an overview OBSERVE level camera but you should get a good one so that you stand half a chance of at least finding something that could ID someone - skin color, clothing, etc.
Ok, thank you.
First mistake with new cam owners, is they try to do too much with one particular camera.
This was one that I made note of, actually, I made note of most if not all of what you're saying. Having only one camera to start off with is gonna be tricky though, haha. Might have to just be a "there's movement in the back yard" type of use, to start off with. As well as a possible visual deterrent...

Wifi is pretty bad. I've had a Eufy camera "2C" kit (three of the 2C cameras) for probably close to two years now. 1080p resolution (HAH!), they're garbage. I won't even bother to go into just how trash they are; trash app as well. But I did not get them for home security. They were bought for the sole purpose of monitoring rodents and rodent traps, and they're barely sufficient for that purpose.
I would never recommend them to anyone for security/surveillance of their home.

As for the face ID, these days criminals can walk around freely with a face nappy and a hoodie on and blend right in, in which case you're not getting a facial ID regardless of camera quality. Right? This is another reason why I actually think, in my case at least, that an actual "home intrusion alarm" system is a better thing to have than a camera system. What do you guys think about that? Is there a discussion on that concept here anywhere?

Alarm grid just replied to my question regarding wanting to learn about these diy home alarm systems with a few links to some blog posts and other info on what they said are their more popular systems. So I'll have to make some time to look over that too.

Thanks again.

PS: I caught some 'action' on a eufy cam last year. Maybe I'll post a clip for people to see. Maybe in that "consumer grade camera" threads.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
A video surveillance is for surveillance, not security. An alarm system is for security, not surveillance.

An effective alarm system is a wired system that covers every exterior opening to the house. It also can cover every door inside the house including closets. Adding motion detection and glass break detection, if you have sliding glass doors, is also a good idea. Internal sirens that are painfully loud are a good idea as well as a loud outdoor siren. Most wired alarm controllers will also accept fire detection and that can also be added for another layer of security.

Ethernaught

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A video surveillance is for surveillance, not security. An alarm system is for security, not surveillance.
Ok. Simply put. I like this. Thinking about it like this, I think I'd prefer the latter; alarm system.
An effective alarm system is a wired system that covers every exterior opening to the house. It also can cover every door inside the house including closets. Adding motion detection and glass break detection, if you have sliding glass doors, is also a good idea. Internal sirens that are painfully loud are a good idea as well as a loud outdoor siren. Most wired alarm controllers will also accept fire detection and that can also be added for another layer of security.
In surveillance (cameras) I can more easily understand how wired is so much better than wireless. But with alarm systems, I can't. Is the advantage of wired over wireless in alarm systems as significant as it is with wired over wireless in camera systems? Basically, what're the weaknesses of a wireless alarm system setup (where the sensors are wireless), including what might be obvious to you all but perhaps not me.
If I'm honest with myself, the amount of work involved with wiring a dozen (or dozens, in other people's cases) of sensors for an alarm system is just too much. Though, I've yet to find a good representation/example of an install (video or writeup).
You'd think running wire in a balloon framed house might actually be easier, but in this case, it's a pain in the ass. Haha.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
True. I despise wifi (internet). I'm wondering specifically for wireless alarm sensors/systems though.
Ok, thanks for the link. I will have a look around that subforum.
Wireless always has the ability to be jammed or blocked. Or a battery dies and you don't know about it.

But getting wiring to every door and window is more difficult than getting POE to places for cameras.

Try to look for something a little more secure than simple wifi like Zwave or Zigbee or something else that maybe a perp with a jammer wouldn't block (most are going for wifi)

But then always have a redundant in place, a hardwired motion sensor or something else.

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I personally use Honeywell alarm systems, with sensors etc..
Main panel is hard wired, along with doors, and most windows. I do have wireless sensors that are encrypted as well, along with Co2, smoke/heat detectors, etc.. all monitored by a local alarm company.
An online store such as, alarmgrid, can show what's available.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I wired everything for the alarm here. Was it some work, certainly, but with the right tools and careful planning it's no more difficult than wiring for a PoE camera IMHO. Wired, especially supervised wired, is more secure than any wireless, WiFi or ZWave/Zigbee, solution. I know without a doubt that every sensor is working. Wireless, WiFi and ZWave/Zigbee, normally don't even regularly transmit battery status on a daily basis. Yes, you can be alerted if they are jammed, but that is a "lost communication" situation and not an actual intrusion detection.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You need to step back and ask yourself a few simple questions.

Do I value my home and family?

Do I want to add security to my home?

Do I want to add surveillance capabilities to my home?

The answer to the first is undoubtedly "yes". The next two also probably "yes". The big conundrum is which goes first? I'd lean more toward security first then surveillance capabilities, especially in the world we find ourselves in today.

Ethernaught

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is "PFA130-E Water-Proof Junction Box Bracket" the correct one for a 5442t-ze? It's the only one I see on amazon.

Ethernaught

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The camera video can be accessed simply by typing in the IP address of the camera, assuming it's on the same network schema as your PC. If not there are several ways to get the camera onto your network.
I'm just gonna try this today. I'm looking at the manual, I see the ip address. I was gonna plug it into this ethernet switch I have by my windows laptop; a netgear gs305. When I remembered that this switch is not a poe switch. So I'll have to use a 12v power adapter to power the camera through the dc barrel jack, won't I?
If so, what specs does a power supply need to have (eg: 12v "x" amps)? The manual warns that: "device abnormity or damage could occur if power is not supplied correctly". I don't have a poe switch yet.
I might have a "common" 12v power supply around, not sure of the amperage it'd supply off hand. Andd I have an adjustable 12v/2A power supply like this: LINK

Ethernaught

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just lost a draft of a post I had wrote asking about alarms and security. So here's the short of it. I checked the alarms and security sub forum for "install" and "installation" looking for any examples/walkthroughs of a diy alarm system install. Only 6 results. 5 of them were about cameras, not alarm systems. The 1 that was about alarms was 2 years old and nobody replied to the thread.
When I search the internet, I find nothing of use either; no walkthrough/guide, and no videos. Is this due to the nature of the industry (not selling direct to customers, only professionals, mainly?) Is this maybe not the right forum to look for this - maybe there's a site similar to ipct but for security alarm systems?
Alarmgrid replied via email with some links to blog post and kits they have - I've only quickly skimmed a couple though, so maybe there's something closer to what I'm looking for there.

I also have some questions, for example, regarding efficient/logical sensor selection. Eg: A wide, double window in a room, where both windows slide open towards the middle of the 'window'. If you decided to put a window and door sensor on each window (a contact sensor(?)), then if a burler broke the window and just climbed through, they would bypass the sensors (the alarm wouldn't sound, no intrusion would be detected), right?
Same thing for a door that has that standard large (often frosted or decorative) window in it at chest height. If you put a contact sensor on that door, and a burgler breaks the glass and climbs through, the sensor would not trip and no alarm would sound. Correct? (I understand that one might/would have motion sensors inside the house as well, and they would pick up movement on the inside - but I'm not there yet. I'm asking about the "entry point" sensors, for lack of correct terminology.
Conversely, if one installed glass break detection sensor (noise/frequency sensor), and a burgler didn't break the glass, but instead used a prying tool to break or crack open the lock mechanism, well the glass break sensor wouldn't pick that up, and would not trigger an alarm. Correct?
I've read some people say that their glass break sensors sometimes trigger from other stuff, like dropping a pan in the kitchen, etc. Hah. Just noting that.

To me, and my lack of knowledge to this point, motion sensors (interior, in this case) seem like the best option, because if there's motion in the house then there IS definitely an intruder. If an intruder gains entry to the house, they can't do anything without moving - and thus setting off an alarm. What am I missing? (And pets aren't a concern for this exapmle).

Thanks, as always.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm just gonna try this today. I'm looking at the manual, I see the ip address. I was gonna plug it into this ethernet switch I have by my windows laptop; a netgear gs305. When I remembered that this switch is not a poe switch. So I'll have to use a 12v power adapter to power the camera through the dc barrel jack, won't I?
If so, what specs does a power supply need to have (eg: 12v "x" amps)? The manual warns that: "device abnormity or damage could occur if power is not supplied correctly". I don't have a poe switch yet.
I might have a "common" 12v power supply around, not sure of the amperage it'd supply off hand. Andd I have an adjustable 12v/2A power supply like this: LINK
Yes on using the DC power jack.
Like this one.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oh, the web address on the "manuals and downloads" qr scan sticker that came with the camera is a broken link. I can't get to the website for the manual/downloads.
@EMPIRETECANDY
Simply go to the international Dahua web site, and search for the camera you have for the manual.
Or go to the Dahuawiki.com