Fish-EYE Camera support (Please...Pretty Please....Cherry On Top!

Tuckerdude

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey guys....LOVE LOVE LOVE Blue Iris!

I've now installed a second setup at my house in Arizona, so I love being able to pull up both locations right from my phone (anywhere in the world....just was in China and it worked flawlessly).

What I'm wondering about is whether or not there are any plans to support Fish Eye cameras in the future? These cameras are extremely useful for situations where you have a large area to cover, but cant fit or justify installing a large PTZ camera.

Short of official support, does anyone know of way to get the video feed (optically corrected) into Blue Iris? I've been able to get the RTSP feed from a Geovision Fisheye camera, but of course it's completely warped and not usable.

Any help or insights into the Blue Iris future roadmap would be greatly appreciated! Even if it was stated as "coming soon" I would be happy to hear that!

Thanks again for making Blue Iris!

Last edited by a moderator:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know if this is a planned feature or not. It would be hard for Blue Iris to support fisheye dewarping very well because the optics are not the same between models and manufacturers. Heck it even matters what orientation you use the camera in, and how the camera is rotated.

Unless your camera can dewarp the video before sending it out over RTSP (this is a rare/non-existent feature in cheaper fisheye cams), then I think you are out of luck.

Could always ask Blue Iris support though. He is the only one who will know if and when fisheye dewarping might be supported in Blue Iris. http://blueirissoftware.com/contact/

Tuckerdude

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! I didn't even know there were Fish Eye camera that had dewarp on-board. Do you know of any models that do???

I'll post my request on the support page...thanks again

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I think Axis models might but I could have just made that up... they cost waaay too much for me so I don't pay them much attention.

Tuckerdude

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Many thanks everyone!

I will check out the Hikvision option. If the functionality is there, then I don't mind paying a premium for it. Just really would like to have the flexibility.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think the Hikvision Fisheye dewarps it before sending the image over...it separates into 5 streams, (1st is the 360 view, 2nd is front/back 180 view, 3rd is like 1 + 3 view, 4 and 5 is custom)

I always thought it was a disadvantage because you can't dewarp it during playback, but maybe it works out on BI and becomes a nice feature. But maybe not over RTSP...
I believe Frankie is correct. I don't have blue iris to test though

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
VLC media player opens RTSP streams, is free, and runs on any platform (even mobiles) ...

Tuckerdude

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Guys...thanks for the follow up!

I have ordered the Hikvision DS-2CD6362F-I and will try it out on Blue Iris. Will post my findings here after I've had a chance to install and configure. This has now gone from a "nice to have" to a "Gotta see if I can make it work" project. If I'm successful, I am intending to use this to install in my garage. Why?.....because of course I want to see the status of the garage doors, but also because I'm usually printing something on my 3D printer, and it will be a great way to watch the PAINFULLY SLOW progress on a dedicated viewport trained on the print surface. If I can get it work, it will be great to have one camera serve all of these purposes.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The resolution on the fisheye camera is not that great though.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You may be disappointed if your looking for detail

Tuckerdude

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You may be right, but I'm less interested in Detail as I am just knowing how far it's gotten and whether it's finished or not! These prints can take HOURS AND HOURS!

Rhinomods

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Guys...thanks for the follow up!

I have ordered the Hikvision DS-2CD6362F-I and will try it out on Blue Iris. Will post my findings here after I've had a chance to install and configure. This has now gone from a "nice to have" to a "Gotta see if I can make it work" project. If I'm successful, I am intending to use this to install in my garage. Why?.....because of course I want to see the status of the garage doors, but also because I'm usually printing something on my 3D printer, and it will be a great way to watch the PAINFULLY SLOW progress on a dedicated viewport trained on the print surface. If I can get it work, it will be great to have one camera serve all of these purposes.
Sorry to bring up an old topic but how did your findings go?
:)

Tuckerdude

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey Rhinomods...

Well, it simply did not work! The camera is quite nice....and has a bunch of great viewing options, but there's no way to get access to the de-warped stream. So no matter what you do, you will always get the fish-eye looking view inside of Blue Iris.

I was pretty disappointed, and tried many many different configurations of the camera, but in the end it simply would not work as intended.

atom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ken (BI developer) is aware that users want dewarping, and is considering adding it. The more people who contact him asking for it, the more likely it will become a reality.

Tuckerdude

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Janimator....thanks for giving me the heads up on this! Yeah, I would still love to find a way to incorporate Fish Eye cameras into my setup. Since the last time I looked, there still seems to be no cameras out there which pass along "de-warped" streams, only the raw video which still is not usable in BI. But maybe this Hikvision will do the trick. I'm usually quick to pull the trigger and buy, but I've been burned a few too many times on this one. So I will wait to see if in fact this is a usable solution. Having said this, I continue to say that Blue Iris is simply the best Security Camera software at any price. I have turned on so many people to it, and will continue to do so.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Tuckerdude

I'm resurrecting this thread after 2 years. I found a review on Amazon of a guy that claims he got a Hikvision fisheye camera working with Blue Iris. Wish he had written a review of the process somewhere :(
Hikvision fisheye camera with Blue Iris Amazon review
I would take that review with a grain of salt. It sounds like he just cloned the camera several times in Blue Iris and zoomed each clone to a different spot (which you can do with any camera, whether it supports one stream or one hundred streams). He almost certainly mounted the cam on a wall as opposed to a ceiling, since wall-mounting a fisheye cam you can orient the camera so up is up and that makes dewarping less important.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Tuckerdude

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey bp2008, I think you are probably right! And yeah, the whole point is to the Fisheye camera on the ceiling and use it as it was intended. Thanks for chiming in, I'm definitely going to wait until I hear that BI has officially added support.

wcrowder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't know if this is a planned feature or not. It would be hard for Blue Iris to support fisheye dewarping very well because the optics are not the same between models and manufacturers. Heck it even matters what orientation you use the camera in, and how the camera is rotated.

Unless your camera can dewarp the video before sending it out over RTSP (this is a rare/non-existent feature in cheaper fisheye cams), then I think you are out of luck.

Could always ask Blue Iris support though. He is the only one who will know if and when fisheye dewarping might be supported in Blue Iris. http://blueirissoftware.com/contact/
I work with several of those, and different brands, they are absolutely awesome in a situation with a small office that handles the money... :) The software we use will de-warp the camera every way you can imagine, but it's much easier to use digital zoom and rotate. De-warping isn't necessary, rotate helps. Haven't looked if I can rotate the image with blueiris... :) You ceiling mount them in the center of the room.

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@bp2008, I believe I read somewhere the latest ONVIF Standard includes support for including de-warping maths for client side support. dont know why BluIris cant take advantage of this.

I found it when reading up on the dewarping on my Dahua NVR, it appeared to be standard and could de-warp any onvif 2.4 complaint fisheye.