[FIXED]Help Needed: Cameras keep disconnecting and reconnecting after Dahua NVR firmware update to V4 from V3.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
In theory it’s not. It’s meant to compress video and save HD space. In reality, in Dahuas implementation it doesnt do that so much, but it can mess with many other settings on the camera and seems to tax its resources.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Lessons Learned LOL

• Don't update something working
  • If deciding to update anyway, factory reset first and after firmware update
  • Follow the bigredfish PSA in setting up an NVR
  • Don't update until you have lots of free time for when the update goes sideways and you need to spend time to try to get it working again

Narcissus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Lessons Learned LOL

• Don't update until you have lots of free time for when the update goes sideways and you need to spend time to try to get it working again
AMEN!

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Lessons Learned LOL

5) Bourbon

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
While not directly related to this thread, it shows the importance of doing a factory reset prior to a firmware update.

So BI made some changes with how IVS and ONVIF triggers are pulled from cameras and folks that had perfectly working cameras now had ONVIF triggers quit working with the latest BI update.

Come to find out, those that did a firmware update at some point without doing a factory reset now resulted in BI not being able to pull the ONVIF triggers.

Once they factory reset the camera and re-applied the firmware update, all was good.

It sounds stupid, but experience has shown here that doing the factory reset 3 times, flashing firmware, and factory resetting 3 more times seems to prevent a lot of issues.

Narcissus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
While not directly related to this thread, it shows the importance of doing a factory reset prior to a firmware update.

So BI made some changes with how IVS and ONVIF triggers are pulled from cameras and folks that had perfectly working cameras now had ONVIF triggers quit working with the latest BI update.

Come to find out, those that did a firmware update at some point without doing a factory reset now resulted in BI not being able to pull the ONVIF triggers.

Once they factory reset the camera and re-applied the firmware update, all was good.

It sounds stupid, but experience has shown here that doing the factory reset 3 times, flashing firmware, and factory resetting 3 more times seems to prevent a lot of issues.

Tangential works.

Narcissus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, I run 3 NVR's to handle my 20 cameras. I have 12 cameras at 8MP and 4 cameras at 4MP. The remaining 4 are my license plate cameras. They are either 2 or 4mp. The 8MP cameras definitely put a load on things. I use Hikvision IVMS-4200 on my home computer to monitor the 3 NVR's and it is stressed out. It will not last an hour before it starts lagging and I have to reboot it. Not a big deal as I do not sit at the computer watching the cameras all the time. The total reboot takes about 20 seconds. Next week I am going to add to the stress. Andy has shipped me a 12MP camera that will replace one of my 4MP cameras. I will run it at 12MP initially and then at 8MP and see what the difference is. My main computer monitor is only 4K, so I am not sure running at 12MP will make a difference over the 8MP setting to the naked eye. The monitors on my NVR's have even less resolution.

Bottom line is, if you buy an NVR check out the specifications very closely. Here is the link to one of my NVR's and look at the specifications, especially the decoding. DS-7616NI-M2/16P - Ultra Series - Hikvision
I remember reading that some years back. It was at a time when many manufacturers including Dahua didn’t spell out incoming bandwidth clearly. It is helpful though.

The NVR here is capable of 320 Mbps or 320,000 Kb/s. A 2MP camera running 30fps will use roughly 10,000 Kb/s, so you could expect to run 32 2MP cameras at that rate.

So if the problem was too much incoming bandwidth , lowering bitrate as well as FPS would indeed help.

This is different than decoding ability which is the ability to stream/view video vs record it.
Just read the "Understanding Decoding Capability" PDF, consequently I learnt I was probably exceeding the decoding capability of my NVR. As I would see video lag and/or video-freezing quiet frequently. Cheers.