[FIXED]Help Needed: Cameras keep disconnecting and reconnecting after Dahua NVR firmware update to V4 from V3.

Narcissus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes

Turn off H.265 use H.264H

Get to the web UI I referred to, under "Maintain"
View attachment 162947 View attachment 162948

I would unplug the cameras first, assuming you havent changed passwords from initial setup, when the NVR reboots , and you intiate it by saying no to the nag screen for P2P, plug cameras back in one at a time. Cameras currently have the same master password you origianly set on the NVR. Recommend you use that same password again

Refer to this post
***PSA for those with a New DAHUA NVR with Built-in PoE switch

When you connect each camera back to the NVR, the first thing to do after they appear in the bottom pane, is to log into them and change from H.265 to H.264.H
Unfortunately the newer NVRs default to H.265 which sucks for various reasons. We can revisit later.
Thanks. Using web UI now.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
The only part that doesn’t make sense to me is that error message you showed. Never seen it and not finding anything on it…

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
It’s odd because it was working prior to fw update. That tells me something got lost in translation. It acts like an IP conflict, been there done that. But can’t put my finger on how as the internal switch is assigning unique IPs per your registration screen

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It’s odd because it was working prior to fw update. That tells me something got lost in translation. It acts like an IP conflict, been there done that. But can’t put my finger on how as the internal switch is assigning unique IPs per your registration screen
Probably something wonky in the update didn't take or write over correctly, which is why we recommend the factory resets BEFORE and AFTER a firmware update!

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I remember reading that some years back. It was at a time when many manufacturers including Dahua didn’t spell out incoming bandwidth clearly. It is helpful though.

The NVR here is capable of 320 Mbps or 320,000 Kb/s. A 2MP camera running 30fps will use roughly 10,000 Kb/s, so you could expect to run 32 2MP cameras at that rate.

So if the problem was too much incoming bandwidth , lowering bitrate as well as FPS would indeed help.

This is different than decoding ability which is the ability to stream/view video vs record it.

Last edited:

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for that and so true. I view 16 cameras at one time using Hikvision IVMS-4200 and the decoding capacity can and does become a problem with that software. I have noticed it even with the monitors at the NVR's. So, If the OP was only looking at say 2 or maybe 4 cameras at one time, he should be able to see them. If he is trying to look at all 6 cameras at one time, I would think that would be a problem depending on what device he was using. I hope I have all of the right.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yessir I believe so

So its a matter of are they recording or is it purely a problem with decoding/viewing all at once? Which the OP should clarify as that would help a lot.\
Typically on Dahua NVRs/XVrs if you exceed incoming bandwidth they'll drop the last camera and so on until they get under the max bandwidth limit,
Also typically if its a decoding issue, they'll display something about "Out of Resources"

The OP is getting this which is odd and led me to the IP conflict theory as Ive seen that when connecting multiple cams at 192.168.1.108. The system will flash on then off as they fight for that IP. This error suggests the camera and the port on the NVR arent matching IP?
IMG_0094.jpeg

But again I come back to "it was working before the fw update"

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yessir I believe so

So its a matter of are they recording or is it purely a problem with decoding/viewing all at once? Which the OP should clarify as that would help a lot.\
Typically on Dahua NVRs/XVrs if you exceed incoming bandwidth they'll drop the last camera and so on until they get under the max bandwidth limit,
Also typically if its a decoding issue, they'll display something about "Out of Resources"

The OP is getting this which is odd and led me to the IP conflict theory as Ive seen that when connecting multiple cams at 192.168.1.108. The system will flash on then off as they fight for that IP. This error suggests the camera and the port on the NVR arent matching IP?
View attachment 162957

With that error, could it be that 10.1.1.65 was a different camera prior to the update and for some reason the update started a soft re-initialization and then it ended up momentarily with two 10.1.1.65 IPs?

And we know what we say about "it working before the fw update" LOL

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah thats my thinking, but on a new system or one that hasnt been messed with as far as networking settings, I can take a camera from one PoE port and exchange it with another and both will automagically assume the new port and work. I've done it a lot this week while installing my new cameras on a 5216-16P-4KS2

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
LOL. I just noticed his bandwidth usage showing at the bottom of the error message screen. It’s been so long since I’ve used the machine interface I didn’t know it displayed that…

Narcissus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for that and so true. I view 16 cameras at one time using Hikvision IVMS-4200 and the decoding capacity can and does become a problem with that software. I have noticed it even with the monitors at the NVR's. So, If the OP was only looking at say 2 or maybe 4 cameras at one time, he should be able to see them. If he is trying to look at all 6 cameras at one time, I would think that would be a problem depending on what device he was using. I hope I have all of the right.
All six cameras displayed on the monitor simultaneously. The two 12MP, fisheye cameras are running in M mode; the remaining 4 4K cameras in S1 mode. This was not an issue with the V3 firmware that came with the NVR.

Narcissus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yessir I believe so

View attachment 162957

They are recording when not disconnected from the network, just checked.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
All six cameras displayed on the monitor simultaneously. The two 12MP, fisheye cameras are running in M mode; the remaining 4 4K cameras in S1 mode. This was not an issue with the V3 firmware that came with the NVR.
For my education, what is the M mode and what is the S1 mode?

Narcissus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
LOL. I just noticed his bandwidth usage showing at the bottom of the error message screen. It’s been so long since I’ve used the machine interface I didn’t know it displayed that…
What's the significance? I'm asking out of pure ignorance and a desire to know. I made sure to include since bandwidth had been queried a few times.