Fingers moving faster than brain here... first post continued.
I've settled on a LaView NVR & cameras (seeking to avoid compatibility issues) and am setting up the NVR and cameras on the workbench before hanging things. Slight PITA working with the different cams (I have a few bullets, a couple PTZ for corner and indoor deployment and some wifi for hard to reach areas where running POE isn't practical).
1) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras (https://store.ipcamtalk.com/) if you need good low light cameras.
2) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
3) Do not use wifi cameras.
4) Do not use cloud storage
5) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
6) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
7) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
8) Do not use reolink, ring, nest cameras (they are junk)
9) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
10) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
11) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess