FNG here...

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Howdy. After my snowmobile was recently stolen right out of my back yard I've decided to put up more cameras. Day late and a few thousand dollars short, so to speak.

I have a couple Dahua N44CB33 cams I'd been experimenting with to watch inside garage and back of the house but unfortunately they were not set up to watch the area where the sled was.

I've already implemented some changes based on info here, such as blocking all outbound LAN traffic from the IP cam network and doing away with port forwarding; instead using VPN access.

On order from empiretechandy I have two of the Dahua 2MP full color bullet cams and want to order several Starlight VariFocal eyeball/turret but can't decide between the 2231 version or the 5231 version.

Any suggestion/opinion to help me decide would be appreciated!!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Howdy. After my snowmobile was recently stolen right out of my back yard I've decided to put up more cameras. Day late and a few thousand dollars short, so to speak.

I have a couple Dahua N44CB33 cams I'd been experimenting with to watch inside garage and back of the house but unfortunately they were not set up to watch the area where the sled was.

I've already implemented some changes based on info here, such as blocking all outbound LAN traffic from the IP cam network and doing away with port forwarding; instead using VPN access.

On order from empiretechandy I have two of the Dahua 2MP full color bullet cams and want to order several Starlight VariFocal eyeball/turret but can't decide between the 2231 version or the 5231 version.

Any suggestion/opinion to help me decide would be appreciated!!
Alarm system that can have an external sensor tied to expensive equipment. Equipment is taken or wire to alarm is cut, alarm sounds.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome @Whoaru99

Both are good options. This is how I would simplify the options:

If you need audio then of course the IPC-HDW5231 turret
If you're on a tighter budget then go w/the IPC-HDW2231

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read,study,plan before spending money.

cameras real do not prevent theft. They provided info after the fact.

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
cameras real do not prevent theft. They provided info after the fact.
Understood.

I am angry with those that stole from me because it ain't right.

I am angry with myself that I can't provide any good info to help identify/catch the perp(s). It's a smaller town. Odds are the thief/thieves know me and probably I would recognize who they are too with a face or maybe even a vehicle on film, so to speak.