Found some Peephole IP camera. Have anyone tried these?

Mufasa

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have been searching for peephole camera that can be recorded in NVR or BI, and is not too obvious from the outside that it is a camera.

Finally found some promising ones that at least should look not that obvious from the outside.

Poe Door Eye Hole Home Security 1080p H.264 1.78mm Lens Wide Angle Fisheye Cctv Network Mini Peephole Door Ip Camera P2p Onvif - Buy Ip Camera Peephole,Peephole Ip Camera,Door Ip Camera Product on Alibaba.com

Have anyone used such camera and setup? Care to share your experience? The front door should always be lit so I am not too concern about IR sensitivity.

For installation I saw this one that uses very thin cable and a drilled hole from the side of door, which looks somewhat promising. Might have to make some cable of my own to connect to camera if I want to go this route.

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
A lot of people who don't want an obvious camera in front of their house use doorbell cameras. Would that work for you? New 3MP Wifi Video Doorbell!

Note that not all existing doorbell wiring is compatible with a camera, and being on wifi and connected to an NVR/BI means a constant drain on the wifi network, and of course possible reliability concerns.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have been searching for peephole camera that can be recorded in NVR or BI, and is not too obvious from the outside that it is a camera.

Finally found some promising ones that at least should look not that obvious from the outside.

Poe Door Eye Hole Home Security 1080p H.264 1.78mm Lens Wide Angle Fisheye Cctv Network Mini Peephole Door Ip Camera P2p Onvif - Buy Ip Camera Peephole,Peephole Ip Camera,Door Ip Camera Product on Alibaba.com

Have anyone used such camera and setup? Care to share your experience? The front door should always be lit so I am not too concern about IR sensitivity.
HI @Mufasa

Thanks for pointing that one out. I was looking for something in that form factor and found nothing about 1-2 years ago.

I'm guessing that the performance is probably a bit limited due to the amount of electronics you can put in such a small package. Still would really like to see a nice review on it.

Mufasa

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
A lot of people who don't want an obvious camera in front of their house use doorbell cameras. Would that work for you? New 3MP Wifi Video Doorbell!

Note that not all existing doorbell wiring is compatible with a camera, and being on wifi and connected to an NVR/BI means a constant drain on the wifi network, and of course possible reliability concerns.
Doorbell camera does not really work for me, as the doorbell is not on the same direction of door.
And I don't like the WIFI idea too much. Still looking into a wired version. Might bite this one when I replace my front door.

asp

n3wb
Reaction score

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Has anyone actually tried one of these aliexpress peephole cameras?
This one, for example, seems to have quite good reviews... I'm curious to know if they really are rubbish cameras or not :lol:
Aliexpress reviews are as reliable as covid stats coming from china.

pov2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Aliexpress reviews are as reliable as covid stats coming from china.
That's not true. Reviews can be posted only by buyers. And if you spoke other languages you would see the proof immediately. I can't imagine that those people who run Ali can speak so many languages in modern idiomatic ways.
P.S. Uncheck "Translate to English" on the review page.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That's not true. Reviews can be posted only by buyers. And if you spoke other languages you would see the proof immediately. I can't imagine that those people who run Ali can speak so many languages in modern idiomatic ways.
lol. It is 100 percent true. Its not ali who is posting the reviews. Its disreputable sellers and manufactures. They "buy" it from themselves. Costs a few bux to get a bunch of positive reviews and screw over western suckers. Same thing is done on amazon when you see "verified buyer".
There is no ip camera that would get a 4.6 rating on any site, let alone a shitty no name peephole cam. The reviews are in english and most "buyers" are not even claiming to be from the US so not sure about your point with respect to other languages. For the record I speak 4.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Lets also not forget the free cam in exchange for positive review where there reviewers omit that tidbit of info.

pov2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
lol. It is 100 percent true. Its not ali who is posting the reviews. Its disreputable sellers and manufactures. They "buy" it from themselves. Costs a few bux to get a bunch of positive reviews and screw over western suckers. Same thing is done on amazon when you see "verified buyer".
There is no ip camera that would get a 4.6 rating on any site, let alone a shitty no name peephole cam. The reviews are in english and most "buyers" are not even claiming to be from the US so not sure about your point with respect to other languages. For the record I speak 4.
Uncheck "Translate to English" on the review page. The reviews are not in English, some of them are. The rest is automatically translated. You don't seem to be very familiar with Ali. Most if not all sellers are Chinese. How do they post reviews in other perfectly spoken (written) languages? Maybe some English reviews are fake, those in broken English.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Uncheck "Translate to English" on the review page. The reviews are not in English, some of them are. Most if not all sellers are Chinese. How do they post reviews in other perfectly spoken (written) languages? Maybe some English reviews are fake, those in broken English.
You dont think they can get a russian, american, a german etc to post reviewes. Ever heard of 5ver?
This is done all the time. China is the epicenter of fraud from the top down. You are a sucker if you believe these ali reviews. Please tell me this is a joke. There are paid reviews on amazon. That is why sites like fakespot exist and amazon clears out lots of reviews.
Ali may also not allow you to change the star rating. That would explain this 5 star rating with a crappy additional feedback.

Attachments

pov2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here is the only review from Canada :)
NOT EVEN THE SAME MEASUREMENTS!!! DO NOT BUY THIS! THIS PRODUCT IS A SCAM 08 Jan 2020 14:09

pov2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You dont think they can get a russian, american, a german etc to post reviewes. Ever heard of 5ver?
This is done all the time. China is the epicenter of fraud from the top down. You are a sucker if you believe these ali reviews. Please tell me this is a joke. There are paid reviews on amazon. That is why sites like fakespot exist and amazon clears out lots of reviews.
Ali may also not allow you to change the star rating. That would explain this 5 star rating with a crappy additional feedback.
Of course there is fraud everywhere. Do you believe Amazon reviews? It doesn't look like it. So, Ali is not that much more different. I bought a few items from Ali after careful consideration. They all were as expected. I bought many items from Amazon. The same. I don't get your point. Ali is just another eBay/Amazon unfamiliar to some people.

pov2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That actually proves that there are some real reviews, otherwise it would have been deleted.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Of course there is fraud everywhere. Do you believe Amazon reviews? It doesn't look like it. So, Ali is not that much more different. I bought a few items from Ali after careful consideration. They all were as expected. I bought many items from Amazon. The same. I don't get your point. Ali is just another eBay unfamiliar to some people.
I dont believe amazon reviews either but there are sites like fakespot that help sort it somewhat. My point is that you should NEVER trust the reviews on these site. Particularly a china site like ali. The fact that you bought stuff on ali that were fine is irrelevant to the fact that the reviews are fraudulent.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That actually proves that there are some real reviews, otherwise it would have been deleted.
I didnt say they were all fake in my initial post. Not sure how you misread that? Just like amazon reviews they flood a bunch of positive reviews so the rating number is higher.
My point with that review that you missed is that if ali does not allow you to change the rating, then you must read every single review otherwise you will miss those where someone had a defect a day after posting but can no longer change their rating.

pov2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I dont believe amazon reviews either but there are sites like fakespot that help sort it somewhat. My point is that you should NEVER trust the reviews on these site. Particularly a china site like ali. The fact that you bought stuff on ali that were fine is irrelevant to the fact that the reviews are fraudulent.
My point is that we should never trust reviews anywhere. Period. Be it Ali, Amazon etc. Only by reading reviews I can see which is most likely real and which is not. I never look at the review score like you did. That the worst metrics. So, I don't see why you singled out Ali while eBay and Amazon Marketplace are practically the same.